Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Oh I know it's the NYT, I just thought this was kind of low even for them. Using hate crimes and photos of swastikas this way. I guess I need to remember there is no floor with that paper.

In other news, this lady is a real treasure.

• Members

And with his history of grabbing women no less!  He's a shameless charlatan and he gets away with it to a degree that just does not make sense.  If Biden is the nominee you just know Trump is going to call Him Creepy Uncle Joe at every turn.

• Members

Speaking of that old troll in the White House, by now many people might know of the damage Fred and his son Donald did to the housing market with their exploitative policies in Queens, NY and their racist policies that brought about lawsuits from the feds, but their demolition of property in Brooklyn's Coney Island and their racist policies that affected primarily African American tenants in the area, is less well-known, I think.

I remember going to concerts in Steeplechase Park in the late 90s and by that time, it was literally only a grassy open field.  I had no idea that a pavilion and all of that other stuff used to be there.

• Members

Here's an odd factoid that I've committed to memory for no particular reason.  When Queen Elizabeth II came for a visit during Bush Jr's presidency the administration could not get any Hollywood stars to attend.  Since WWII, the Queen has had an understanding that Presidents in their first four years went to the Palace for a state dinner and then, if they get a second term, the Queen comes to DC for state dinner.  Unfortunately, the only media types at her State Dinner that year were The View's Elizabeth Hasselbeck (in a cape recycled from her wedding) and a still-in-the-closet Robyn Roberts, (she was doing a behind the scenes story for ABC).

By contrast, Obama's last state dinner had Georgio Armani, Beyonce, and Jerry Seinfeld - and it was for an Italian President who was voted out of office two months later.  The Obama's were not only the first administration to invite gay couples to state dinners, but they also had a gay couple at the head table of every state dinner, including for countries with a history of poor civil rights for gay citizens.  The Republican Speaker of the House was invited to every Obama dinner and rejected every invitation. 

The latest knucklehead has only had one state dinner in DC; once again not star-studded.  Every other foreign leader that has visited didn't get a formal dinner and they had to stay at his hotel.  This may be because the first family has to pay for each state dinner.  He is going for his state dinner in England in June before the G20 summit this year.

Nancy Reagan had a state dinner every six weeks until Ronnie was shot.  They were the last couple to entertain bipartisan crowds.