Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

This is one of the most ridiculous hit pieces I have read recently. I was kind of hoping Rep Omar would kind of step back after some mis-steps but all this is now showing me who the real bigots are. 

I am not an Intercept fan(Greenwald is a crybaby propagandist) but I do love Mehdi Hasan who by the way did criticize Omar's tweets originally, has criticized Corbyn for his missteps, but vehemently opposes the idea that either are anti Semitic. I think this column nails it.

https://theintercept.com/2019/03/05/republicans-and-democrats-say-their-criticism-of-ilhan-omar-is-about-anti-semitism-theyre-gaslighting-you/

• Members

I think instead I'll listen to Jews when it comes to what constitutes antisemitism. On Corbyn for example:

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/more-than-85-per-cent-of-british-jews-think-jeremy-corbyn-is-antisemitic-1.469654

I'm not buying that Omar is just stepping into one antisemitic comment after the next accidentally. The duel loyalty comments? I mean, come on.  I would say it's classic Nazi propaganda, but they didn't invent it either.

In addition it's entirely possible for Omar to be antisemitic while some of the people coming after her are Islamophobic or people trying to use her as a wedge.  In fact, I'd say it's pretty obvious that's what's happening. There are plenty of "real" bigots to go around.

• Members

Ok Ilikely agree with you on part of this regarding Omar but there have been plenty of folks of Jewish faith Yair Rosenberg for one who’s crticized her tweets but have indicated she is correct about AIPAC and the Saudi lobbying groups she mentioned.

I just can’t get outraged when the same folks turn away with the anti Semitic , islamaphobic, and racist “trope” peddled by those who are now waving their finger at her or the Jim Jordan’s and Mark Meadows of the world who live in this stuff daily. The comparison to King is nonsense frankly as King has sat in congress under both democratic and republican control for years and they did nothing .until this year about him.

As far as Corbyn, I find it really diffiicult to find any news source that says anything positive about him anywhere that doesn’t also justify May, the Torres, and their own support for Victor Orban in Hungary and Duda in Poland, so it’s always hard for me to judge what’s fact or propaganda in the UK.

That all said there is no question anti Semitism is on the rise all over and definitely in Europe. The Yellow Vest movement in France had cases of personal attacks and Jewish cemeteries desecrated . And I am not justifying Corbyn or Labor for that matter, Labor PMs left the party partially due to this issue a couple of weeks back, but there is a huge media bias in the UK worse than here, that frankly doesn't even touch on the abuses the Tories have perpetrated and how they cozy up to the likes of Orban and Duda. And UKIP is a whole other story.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

This is pretty much what I've been saying all along.  It sucks that we have to look to another white male to "save" us, but that's where the current administration has put us.  (Not that Trump losing in 2020 is guaranteed, but thinking outside the proverbial box with another woman or even person of color to oppose him will result only in another four years with that idiot.)

Thanks much, @marceline, for sharing!  

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Khan

• Members

I really don't want Biden but Id be ok with Biden/Harris. But I think a steady calming influence might be what.s needed. Im just afraid with Biden it would be SSDD. This country has so many institutional problems that were broken long before Trump. Biden doesn't seem like anyone interested in reform more like going back to the same. 

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Me neither, but it's just like what you said: we're going to need a "steady, calming influence" and a return to "business as usual," but not in the Trumpian sense, lol.  I think I've said before that I don't expect to see another president like Obama in my lifetime, and that opinion still holds.

• Members

I have my issues with Biden but I believe he'd be a good president. He'd do a good job helping to repair our alliances around the world, he'd help reinstitute a lot of Obama's climate policy that Trump gutted, and given that he considered selling his house to help pay for his son's cancer treatment he could do wonders for the conversation around universal health care.

Let's be honest, Trump was elected as revenge for Obama. The people stanning for Kamala Harris are basically doing it because they want to elect her as revenge for Trump. (Disclaimer: I think Harris is fantastic but I didn't want her to run.) With Obama we were poised to move this country into the future. Trump was elected to drag it back into the past.

That thread points to something else I've been saying. All this talk of "pushing" the Democratic Party left is really just an attempt to gentrify it and refocus it on the economic priorities of white millennials at the expense of the civil rights of marginalized groups. Like it or not, any Dem nominee will have to win black voters in the south.