The Politics Thread

• Members

He's a rich kid who has never had to grow up. He knows he can say what he wants and mostly get by, especially now that he's on Faux News. Sure enough I saw people immediately defending him by saying we shouldn't bring up the past, even though he was raking Biden over the coals for past statements only days earlier. 

Republicans can do whatever they want and never suffer for it.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

On a similar note this is going on in Nebraska. He's Rickett's field director. In addition to the insane amount of antisemitism he was spewing, he also threatened to run down BLM activists with his car, talks about harassing homeless people, and of course homophobia.  Let's see if he is fired.

• Members

I threw that memo in the recycling bin.  From what I can see it's becoming normalized in society as a whole. This really vile stuff is definitely becoming a feature, not a bug, on the right. Note how Tucker won't apologize.  He knows he doesn't have to thanks to Trump.

• Members

Buttigieg's facial expressions were golden. And I liked his vibe. However, honestly, I don't think he has a shot. Because, sadly, there are still PUH-LENTY of homophobic pieces of dirt out there, and they do vote. And we need someone who can even make some of these people not vote for Trump again.

I personally think it blows, because this guy is good. But with the slugs that have come into the light since Trump was elected, the anti-Semites, the white supremacists, the homophobes and such, I have doubts that Buttigieg could breach that. And the Bible belt? Forget it.

Who could? The trouble is, I don't know.

• Members

I don't know how to think about it either.  It's sad to say, but I think Tucker Carlson and his ilk have successfully moved the Overton window.  The fact that he still has a show after the horrible things he said about women and young girls is deeply disturbing.  Fox has no bottom of course. They are brainwashing people at an alarming rate and many people already agreed with Carlson about women anyway. Now they will see that he said these things without consequence so it becomes even more acceptable.

Can a woman be elected right now? I have my doubts.  Can Joe Biden really beat Trump? Sure, the polls look good now, but that doesn't inspire my confidence.  I'm very glad it's not up to me to pick the nominee. If the universe gave me the power to choose I wouldn't know what to do with it.

• Members

I'm not sure why he's even running. I guess he sees it as a way out of being mayor? 

The first replies in that tweet were criticizing him for talking about scripture, so he really isn't going to appeal to anyone. 

Maybe he can get a Cabinet position, although I doubt the Republicans in the Senate will confirm an openly gay man.

• Members

More of Trump cutting off access of legal immigration (and notice how the people who claim to only care about stopping "illegals" also stay quiet for this, since they really just want us walled up).

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/12/citizenship-immigration-international-offices-close-1218137

Dick Cheney having a word with our terrifying VP because Trump is getting in the way of his warmongering.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/11/cheney-mike-pence-foreign-policy-1216663

I can imagine he probably realizes how much Trump has damaged their ability to pull coups in countries like Venezuela. I still remember that moron Crenshaw putting out a video to the Venezuelan people, as if any of them give a rat's ass about him (the ones that even have electricity). You notice you hear less and less about Venezuela now that they realize the coup has failed.

• Members

And to what end?  I feel like so many of his policies are conflicting.  Are the corporate overlords really going to allow him to put making America white again over money and growth? For once I'm on the overlords side. I'll be the first to admit it's complicated, but I think Japan did the experiment for us.  Zero population growth will turn a country like the U.S. upside down.  We're born and bred consumers, I don't believe we can change until climate change is much further along.

• Members

Meanwhile, Teresa May's second Brexit plan was voted down:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47547887

At this point, only two options appear possible to me: either the UK leaves the EU with no deal (which would be a disaster, quite frankly), or they admit the majority who voted to leave in the first place were [!@#$%^&*] racist morons, and call for another referendum that could end with the UK staying put.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Neither are good options. I am wondering if this end is what the Brexit folks (not the voters but those pushing the referenda) wanted. No real solution and chaos,, knowing the information they insisted would happen like more money invested in the NHS was a load of BS and has now been exposed. The UK is divided for some of the same issues that were spun here.

I think Theresa May is awful but she has tried in an impossible situation and has downplayed the idea of another referendum.  And in a way she's right. These people get elected to do what they are being asked to do, Rather than cowtow to extremists, work together to solve the problem. Both parties in their own ways have completely failed the UK and are also being blown apart in the process. I don't understand what the purpose is of extending the date. If no one is going to budge it's pointless.

• Members

Jussie Smollett is not the only one faking death threats, I guess.

Um, 7.5 years?  Sorry but this was why I expressed concerned when Judge Elliot's sentence, while others were so unbothered.  I just knew this would happen.  

Edited by DramatistDreamer