The Politics Thread

• Members

Even though I've been reading about this on and off, I must admit, I was dubious that the case would go any further than the charges stage because of previous times he's faced charges that were dropped.  The fact that Netanyahu has linked Likud to a far right-wing group seems to have disgusted many Israelis.

Did Joe Biden really say this??  He cannot be running for office because I don't know any Democrats that would agree with this statement.

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The Justin Trudeau (alleged) corruption saga has been fascinating to watch, in no small part because he came into office wanting to give more chances to women and Canadians of color, yet a Canadian woman of color may be his downfall.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/28/justin-trudeau-election-1229686

https://theconversation.com/jody-wilson-raybould-comes-from-a-long-line-of-indigenous-truth-tellers-112694

I always thought if Trudeau lost it would be because of his idealism hitting the rocks - I didn't ever think he would be so involved in corruption scandals. 

I suppose it's another contrast between the US and Canada. There's no way that someone would be elected in the US if they were promoting openness, kindness, and sunny ways (along with great abs and a killer ass), yet there is a very strong path for someone who is openly corrupt to be elected or reelected (especially if they're a Republican).

• Members

But isn't there a case to be made that this was more talk than action? I'll look up some articles tomorrow when I have more energy, but from what I've read Canada is not exactly welcoming people with open arms. They aren't as purely evil as our system is becoming, but they have a point system that favors the wealthy and educated.

• Members

I was thinking more about his election promises to Canadians (that was his big campaign slogan - "sunny ways") than how he handled the immigration issue (I'd say he handled it very sloppily, welcoming people in a grandstanding tweet then being bowled over when they actually arrived), but you're right.

• Members

I can't decide if she just isn't capable of getting it or she doesn't want to get it.  At some point it gets harder to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

I wanted to root for her because we can't let Islamophobia flourish the way it has been under Trump. Particularly the travel ban that is still in place. This thread is too right though.

Edited by Juliajms

• Members

Number one, Bubbles might be a lot of things; "decent" is never one of them.  And number two, we call him "Crazy Uncle Joe" for a reason.  People will have forgotten his remark about Pence by the time of the election -- but trust me, he'll say plenty more between now and 2020 to remind folks why (as @marceline says upthread) he has run before and lost.

• Members

When has anyone actually claimed that reparations involved "writing out a check"?  If Bernie is against it, he should just come out and say so. 

Don't make it out to be some sort of handout (which the wealthy already get plenty of, if we're being honest) that's not what reparations is about.  At all.

• Members

Is this real life?

Please register in order to view this content

I know it's not really funny, but g*ddamn.

I agree he should.  I'd respect him more if he would hold one of those stupid town hall meetings and have a real discussion about it featuring black leaders.  It might not lead anywhere right now, but why not raise awareness and educate people when you have the spotlight? You never know what's possible if there is a strong Trump backlash in 2020.  Realistically, the poor and middle class are so resentful of each other it might be hard to get it done, but we should talk about it more.