Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I saw the headline late this morning and am glad you posted this because it reminded me to read the actual article.  Yesterday, I posted about this journalist's death so yeah, it came as a bit of a surprise when I saw the headlines about his demise being untrue.

I hope that the Ukrainian authorities can uncover more evidence that will help put an end to these contract killings of Russian journalists.  In the meantime, I also worry that by boasting that he will "live to 96" and "dance on Putin's grave", that Mr. Babchenko is somehow 'poking the bear'. 

Hopefully the Ukrainian authorities can get the assistance they will likely need to protect Mr. Babchenko.

• Members

The state of Illinois, my state, has just tonight passed the ERA making it the 37th state. My elderly mom was very active in the movement back in the 70's and cursed the day Phyllis Schlafly got involved. Schlafly was from Illinois. This may not seem like a big deal,. but there are 4 states waiting to move forward who were waiting to be the last, Virginia being one of those states along with Florida.  One more state is needed then the battle moves to congress to get the deadline extended. There is precedence for this.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/ct-met-equal-rights-amendment-illinois-20180530-story.html

• Members

• Members

Congrats to your mom.

The really odd thing I've been thinking about today is that capitalism seems to be working better than representative democracy at the moment. Trump is president despite nearly 20 accusers, but a lot of men lost their jobs because of #MeToo. Trump is president, but Roseanne lost her job because of her racist remarks. There's a strange dissonance to it, but it's better than nothing, I guess.

• Members

I’ve been working on this in Illinois since they reintroduced iit after Nevada passed it last year. Part of it was certainly my own desire and the people I met and have collaborated with are phenomenal, but a lot of it was for my mom. . Going to Springfield and talking to legislators in the state has been a real learning experience. I also had the honor of hearing Pat Spearman senator from Nevada who led this effort their speak here in Illinois.  Incredible woman. And phone banking talking to people all over he state, getting them to call their reps was eye opening. The same tired arguments about bathrooms, the military and abortion were tried and failed. Heck even at moms retirement community where a number of nuns live also, ipro life women( well interesting actually sort of) were in support of the ERA and hosted a discussion about it The legislator in the state House, a republican and House minority leader, who represents their area, came to this event after mom wrote a letter as did the sisters, and he was one of the few republicans who voted yes.  I’d like to this this small group of elderly women tipped the scale.

Capitalism has its faults no doubt and businesses rape and pillage consumers and employees left and right, but most are smart enough to know how important image and perception is. I think one of the biggest shocks for me was when Texas ended up refusing to pass a very restrictive bathroom bill several months back. Why? Because businesses that have moved to Texas got pressured by their young diverse employees and then put pressure on the state legislature. Educated millinnals for the most part they knew they could not afford to lose. Starbucks has stepped forward, now Disney, as has Dicks Sporting goods.  Do they deserve a medal no. But I think they know their consumer bases and what they need to do to retain employees they value.

• Members

I wasn't going to read this but what I've got to admit that these little snippets provided some fascinating insight.  President Obama pretty much viewed the election results in the way I thought he might.  And that single tear in Chancellor Merkel's eye. 

How Trump’s Election Shook Obama: ‘What if We Were Wrong?’

• Members

^ That was a really good article.  Nice to see President Obama's thoughts. Plus this:

Mr. Obama had authorized a statement to be issued by intelligence agency leaders a month before the election warning of Russian interference, but was thwarted from doing more because Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, the Republican leader, refused to go along with a bipartisan statement.

Mr. Rhodes called Mr. McConnell’s refusal “staggeringly partisan and unpatriotic.” But Mr. Obama, whose Supreme Court nomination had been blocked by Mr. McConnell for months, seemed less surprised.

• Members

I wish people could finally admit that Obama was held to a higher standard, not of his own making but because he is a man of color who was in the highest office in the land and had to constantly prove that he was in accordance with the law by submitting to constant checks and balances.

Meanwhile the bar has been set artificially low for Trump, who, unchecked, often acts alone and often not in the best interests of the American people.

For example,

• Members

WTF is he doing and why? Crazy.

I think many of us know it's true and the rest will never admit it. For Trump, there is no bar at all. He's gone rogue and the Republicans are allowing it because he's giving them what they want in terms of taxes and abortion.  The constant insanity and corruption is draining. That's how he likes it though.