Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Last year, I predicted that the U.S. would be in a recession by election time, mainly due to the effects of trade wars and those stupid tax breaks for the 1% and I still believe that should be considered a factor but the pandemic has clearly taken away any way to prop up the economy until November, so here we are. The Nasdaq hitting a high just draws into sharp relief how little difference the stock market's gains make to the overall economy and GDP.

• Members

I ask myself that same question.  Of course, you and I both know White America couldn't care less.  If the situation were reversed, and Karens and Todds living in the suburbs had to wait in line for hours to vote, or deal with polling places that were short on workers and/or voting machines, things would be reformed lickety-split.  But, it's brown and black people who have to deal with these inconveniences every freaking time, so [!@#$%^&*] 'em.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Well, a lot of people are blaming Chief Justice John Roberts right now because his vote in the Supreme Court helped to end the Voting Rights Act along with his declaration that the VRA was no longer needed as racism was over. 

Please register in order to view this content

But it also has to do with the Secretary of the state of Georgia who used to be Republican Brian Kemp, who, incidentally is now governor of Georgia.  As a result of all of these factors, many voting places in predominately black neighborhoods were shut down, allegedly due to "cost-saving measures"  In a nutshell, voter suppression.

Someone would be calling to speak to a manager PDQ.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

From what I understand the Secretary of the State handles voting issues and elections but how much power they wield tends to vary by state. I've never lived in a state where polling places were shut down.  I tend to find it to be very politically charged as well as highly partisan and quite honestly, seems to be a Republican obsession, as they are the party that, for the last 50 years tend to face the most accusations of deliberately trying to disenfranchise black voters.

• Members

^ That is some serious B.S. I'm glad there are people standing up for their rights.  Having to wait that long would piss me off now, but I can't imagine doing it back when I had a job where I was on my feet all day. Hell no. These voter suppression tactics have got to be addressed. I support voting by mail 100%.