The Politics Thread

• Members

Even through the campaign Trump replaced Secret Service with his own security team. An explanation I saw was that he can make private security sign non-disclosure agreements but Secret Service works for the Treasury department so they have others to report to. Secret Service can actually override the president for his own safety.

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

West Virginia! I'm right next door in Maryland. I feel for you guys. I love WV--one of the most beautiful states in the country (Almost Heaven, indeed, John Denver) to drive in (as long as you're careful going around the curves), and yet also Trump's best performing state. SMH.

That said, it's cool that you guys still have a Democratic Governor--Jim Justice, one of the few newly elected Democrats in any office last fall--which means there's still some veto power (then again, Earl Ray Tomblin was a Democrat too, and Right to Work was STILL passed last year under his tenure, in a state that has historically been VERY union-friendly. So I dunno.).

To take this to state politics for a second, I'm VERY curious as to what's going to happen in MD next year in our Governor's race--being a traditionally Democratic state, there are going to be a LOT of people running in the primary, but Larry Hogan is popular in many circles, too (and Democrats in Maryland are helped by having both Baltimore and the DC suburbs--Western Maryland--where I went to college--Southern Maryland--where I grew up and live, right now, anyway--and the Eastern Shore are MUCH more Republican), and I worry about Democrats beating each other in that primary too much. That is the LAST thing we need here. 

Edited by MissLlanviewPA

• Members

Dems launch 'unprecedented early' effort to capture GOP districts

So at least there's that.

With news of all these personnel leaving/changes, this article in which management experts rated Trump's management style takes on a strange resonance.

Case Study in Chaos: How Management Experts Grade a Trump White House

Some interesting quotes from the article:

" The unanimous verdict: Thus far, the Trump administration is a textbook case of how not to run a complex organization like the executive branch. "

and of his executive actions  “are so far from any responsible management approach” 

“Of course, this isn’t new,” he told me. “His campaign also violated every prudent management principle. Everyone including our friends on Wall Street somehow believed that once he was president he’d change. I don’t understand that logic.”

“If you thought immigration was bad, just wait for health care,” Mr. Pfeffer warned.

“I don’t really know what’s going on in the White House, so I don’t feel comfortable commenting on that specifically. But I can say in general that in organizational settings, less chaos is a good thing.”

If this were the private sector, “someone would be fired,” 

“No good business makes decisions that are based on falsehoods,” he said. “My sense is that Trump takes no one’s counsel but his own. That’s bad management, period.”