Y&R: Week of November 17, 2008

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One question: wouldn't Murphy, who has obviously been living Genoa City for years, know who Katherine Chancellor is and how similar she is to his friend Marge? He must have been living quite a quiet life if he never heard of Kay Chancellor before.

• Members

Liz and Stuart separated in 1982 over tensions in their marriage and Jill advised her mom to seek a divorce. I don't remember if we ever got to see the divorce on camera since the Brooks and Fosters, other than Jill, had already been phased out for the most part, but Liz definitely decided to leave Genoa City in 1983 to go live with Snapper and Chris in England. The next time we saw Liz was in 1986 after Jill was shot; she was still living in England at that time and came back when Katherine let her know about Jill, bringing Phillip in tow. From that point on, including her appearances after Billy was born in the 90s and in 2003 around the 30th anniversary, she referred to herself as Liz Foster, so one would presume that she and Stuart did end the marriage. Liz was supposed to stick around after the "Katherine is Jill's mother" story in 2003, but apparently Jack Smith never followed up and she again disappeared. Based on what she said at the funeral, she's still living in England now.

• Members

Yep. Danny was the cause of the beginnings of the Traci/Lauren rivalry. When Traci was first introduced, they revealed she was a big fan of Danny's. Traci's sister in law Patty, who had dated Danny before marrying Jack Abbott and whose brother Paul was Danny's close friend, arranged for Danny to meet Traci. Traci was so thrilled that she decided to enroll in Genoa City University rather than going to an out of town college so she could be close to the Genoa City based rock star. Traci started answering Danny's fan mail as president of his fan club and was eventually rewarded by being brought on stage to perform with him. Meanwhile, Traci's GCU classmate Lauren Fenmore took a liking to Danny and decided that she'd be a better choice for the singer and wormed his way both into his personal and professional life. Lauren became Danny's singing partner with his band and started coming on to the rock star. Lauren took pleasure out of exploiting Traci's weight problems in order to make Traci look bad. Traci tried to lose weight to compete, but when Lauren managed to become engaged to Danny, Traci turned to addictive diet pills from a local pusher to lose weight faster and that almost cost Traci her life. Danny was there to support Traci through that ordeal, much to Lauren's chagrin.

Eventually, Danny's engagement to Lauren ended, but Lauren didn't really care since she still remained Danny's singing partner, plus she also developed an interest in P.I. Paul Williams that eventually led to marriage. But Lauren still took delight in getting involved in Traci's life, including Traci's budding relationship with her english professor, Tim Sullivan. When Tim got Traci pregnant and would not take responsibility for his child, Traci tried to commit suicide by turning on the gas oven in Danny's apartment while waiting for him. Fortunately, Danny and his new friend Cricket Blair arrived at the apartment in time. Although he was in love with Patty Williams (who was by then divorced from Jack), Danny married Traci to legitimize her child. Initially, he agreed to stay married to her only until the baby was born, but Traci found herself falling for her husband. Since Lauren and Danny were still partners, Traci still had to deal with Lauren on occasion. But after Traci miscarried during an argument with Patty over Danny, Traci gave Danny his freedom.

Traci and Lauren again clashed when Traci fell for Abbott groundskeeper Brad Carlton. Although married to Paul, Lauren snooped around in Brad's past to find out why the young man was so close-mouthed about his family. Traci eventually married Brad, but Lauren had an affair with him. She also had another affair with Brad during Traci and Brad's second marriage.

• Members

Please regardless of what you think of VR she's one of the best damn actresses out there and it's a total shame that she's not on Y&R. She's a real woman of color and I love/hate the character of Drucilla because of VR. She's got a gift for really conveying emotions and getting people to connect with her character and that can't be doubted.

Watching Monday's show and it's excellent.

I thought Jeffery's line about how Katherine died before signing over her shares was a lil crass and frankly very insensitive. I would have punched his lights out if I was there.

Not really seeing what's so special about Nina. However I like the tension between Tricia and Dina.

Oh Adam....lol. I hope Victor doesn't go too hard on my favorite man.

And I don't care what it is that Ashley has for Victor but the two of them together were looking FIERCE! So on point and so regal. It was scary. I just love the 2 of them together. And Nikki looked so ridiculous. I'm surprised they didn't have her faint...

• Members

Brock was a little boring in the episode. I understand where he is coming from. He is inheriting the mantle of Head of the family; but, the writers could have made more transitions between speakers and made the sermon less church like.

I loved when Liz Foster came in. Julianna McCarthy is a gem. She would fit right back in on the canvas. We really do not have that wholesome, sage figure on canvas. Kay is prbly as far from that role as possible, and she is really the only one in that age range. How about if Liz moves into Abbott mansion? She would sure give Gloria a run for her money.

The Fishers all sitting in the back as the outcasts of the town was perfect. Their placement was so symbolic. I love Jeffrey being intrigued by Dina Mergeron. I would love something to happen there.

Talking about Dina, "Maybe I should move back here, nothing ever happens in Europe." I wish Dina would get a chance to interact with Victor. Heck, I wish Dina would just be on canvas longer. I am falling in love with Marla Adams.

I agree that Tricia and Dina have the greatest long term potential of these guest stars. I think they would fit right in with the sl's going on. Neither actress is actively working.

Danny needs a haircut. It has become 80's big again. He was looking better a few years ago when he went back on recurring to re-introduce Daniel.

I had no idea Gina and Danny were Rex Sterling's children. It makes sense now why they are at the funeral.

Amelia Heinle's hair is its own creature. I am fixated on it whenever she is onscreen. How does it do that?

• Members

Really? I thought it was honest (for him) and right in character. Gloria looked all shocked but you know, deep down, she was pissed off at not having had time to scam Kay before she died, too.

Monday was a GREAT episode. I think Liz was my favorite returnee from the past, although they were all excellent. LMAO at Jack's "shat a brick" [ © AllMyShadows ] look. He was red with rage!

Oh man, I so agree. I love Nikki but I don't necessarily like her with the Tache (bring back Bobby Marsino!). She was all about Kay but when Victor showed up, she was all "Victor? Why isn't he looking at me?"

Thanks, boldfan01, for that great breakdown of the Traci-Lauren relationship. I had forgotten about the Danny/Traci stuff. I had also forgotten what a bully Lauren was to Traci back in the day! Wonder if the current regime would ever acknowledge that rivalry, given that both BM and TEB are on recurring?

• Members

Yeah so Brock rambled on and on but most of it was really good..

I got chills when Liz Foster spoke. I'm not a huge long time viewer of the show so I'm glad she gave a lil history on her relationship with Katherine. But more importantly I loved her speech. Especially when she aid how Katherine had "character and she had it in spades." Just awesome and so true.

And then I loved how she mentioned Esther (who I think is overlooked a lot of the time). I felt so sad for Esther just watching her cry. In some ways I think her mourning is the one I feel the most as opposed to Nikki who just comes across as fake or over doing it.

And yeah Cane....ummm DG is hot and all that but his speech fell flat on my ears. As opposed to Billy who I really felt meant every word he was saying. I guess it just goes to prove who's the better actor out of the two.

EDIT: OMFG! WOW! Did I really just hear Nikki cry to God about how she's grateful that Victor is back but jealous that he's with Ashley during Katherine Chancellor's funeral? The funeral for the woman she's been crying hysterically over for the last few episodes! Lol I just about died from laughter when they showed her and then she spoke I was just speechless!

• Members

Melody Thomas Scott's over acting I think worked so well in the scene. I was waiting for her to hyper ventilate or something. It is weird coming from her because all the other times I have seen her, she has a very subtle and cold acting style. This was great. It was comedic in its intensity.

I wanted to note, Doug Davidson has officially surpassed Don Diamont as the DILF of the show. My God, what is that man doing that he can be in such awesome shape. I am half his age and struggling.

• Members

Thanks so much.

Back in 1982 I was at college (freshman year) and I had a class while Y&R was on - so I missed alot. I missed the stuff with Liz and Stuart. For some reason I always had in my mind that they left together and just never heard or read any different.

Thanks so much.

I love Y&R today and have loved the transition, but the Brooks/Foster years will always be my favorite period of Y&R.

• Members

I liked Nina and Cane's official introduction today. However, I find it very hard to believe in their conversation, when they're talking about the real Phillip, and Nina's child with him being in the army. I'm sorry, but no way in hell does Daniel Goddard look like he is old enough to have a son 18+.

Archived