Y&R: Week of November 17, 2008

• Members

I REALLY hope we get Jill and Nina scene like the Traci and Lauren scene we got today. You know, Jill telling Nina how sorry she was for blaming her for Phillip's demise and how wrong she was blaming her for years, stuff like that.

I LOVED Nina and Esther's brief conversation. I'm glad they remembered that Nina and Esther were close. I really loved how Nina told Esther that Jill wouldn't kick out and when Esther said "Wanna bet?" - the look on Nina's face was priceless! LOL!

So much respect/appreciation for these longtime characters, their histories, and relationships have been brought to the forefront lately, it's just all so lovely to see.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is so funny...most soaps would be TERRIFIED to do what Y&R did today.

Most notable is that Traci-Lauren scene. Two recurring characters. To mention their story...one that more recent viewers might not remember...is usually considered a huge mistake. "We'll confuse the viewers". That scene was longer than many too...and that would be a 'bad thing' too.

But they went further. When the Traci-Lauren clinch was over, the camera revealed a wordless Danny watching, and smiling approvingly.

TRACI AND LAUREN FOUGHT OVER DANNY. Most of Lauren's evil deeds, in the beginning, were in order to snag Danny. Danny watching that moment was a nod to that history.

That is was done wordlessly is SUCH a testament to the intelligence of the audience. Long-time viewers could understand what that business was about. But the creative team understood that new viewers might just say "Don't know what that's about..." and move on. I can't believe that even the newest viewers wouldn't SOMEHOW feel that the Lauren story was enriched by this hint of backstory.

These episodes of Y&R are a gift to some of us. I do not believe they will improve ratings or demographics...and I think the show knows that. This was just a reward for those of us who have stuck with the show. What a respectful, appreciative move.

Well, but Lauren has "evolved". We've seen that. So Lauren's apology makes sense.

Jill...well....she hasn't really evolved that much :). So, I suspect Jill remain vile and nasty...and I can't WAIT to see Jess chew some scenery again. It has been far too long.

• Members

Yes, kudos to Mike Denney again, who directed today's episode as well.

Damn, Mike Denney, Janice Ferri Esser, and Paula Cwikly must have been working their assses off a couple weeks ago for these episodes.

Paula also wrote the breakdown for Monday's episode, and Janice has been pretty heavily involved since she came back. Denney obviously directed two back to back episodes.

I'm glad they gave these history drenched episodes to Denney - Y&R's longest serving director.

• Members

You know, for the first time in a long time, I've actually started referring to these characters as they are on the show.

"I can't believe Nikki did this, I hate Phylis."

For awhile all I thought about was the mess that was behind the scenes.

"They have Nikki running for office."

They really have pieced together a beautiful show. It's starting to be that classic and classy escapist soap that I loved growing up.

• Members

Precisely.

Jill and Nina had an uneasy truce based on little Phillip IV...I think when Jill said "Hello Nina" without looking at her, consumed with the flowers, was all Nina's going to get from Jill who, let's face it, still feels Nina is responsible for Phillip's death. My view is that EVERYONE and NO ONE was to blame for Phillip's death. He was a sweet, damaged kid who wasn't totally comfortable being himself...I will never forget the scene where he died...Phillip IV (as a baby) was crying, Nina, Christine and Rex were wrecks, Kay looked so sad and Jill...total heartbreak. Those were the scenes were I thought "Jess Walton you are a STAR"

• Members

Yes, that was a low point. I was personally excited about OOTA...and liked some of it...but you're right...it was ultimately irrelevant. A massive, contrived, expensive stunt--oddly timed BEFORE sweeps--with the sole main goal of ushering Amelia Heinle off-canvas to facilitate her maternity leave.

I have to keep reminding myself that these episodes are SPECIAL. Much of what we're loving will be gone by week's end. I hope the team is inspired by these days, and produces a consistently good show thereafter. I'm a bit worried, because the 8/6/08 Sabrina-funeral episode was awesome...but then things got a bit flatter after that.

I hope the show realizes that embracing history is not a bad thing, and they will continue to do it on a regular basis.

• Members

When I saw Mean Girls, I so related this to Lauren Fenmore, a character I now love. I remember hating Lauren back then for what she did to chubby Tracy Abbott because I was about five years younger and saw so many mean girls like Lauren in high school. Those teen storylines were so good (although the concerts were cheesy) because they were so relateable and played by young actors who for the most part were very good.

Beth Maitland and Tracey Bregman were wonderful today. What a terrific nod to their history. It shows how much Lauren has matured and how gracious a woman Tracy Abbott is. Not to mention it was great seeing Tracey Bregman interacting with other characters for a change. I love Lauren with Michael but she has connections with so many other characters on this show that go back decades and yet we rarely see her interacting with them.

• Members

I truly haven't seen a scene like this since I saw a clip from GL in 1992 featuring Ross, Vanessa, and Holly. Holly was trying to convince Van not to drop the charges against Jack Kiley (who sexually assaulted her). Holly told her that she knew what it was like to go through a trial, to be shown to have wanted it or deserved it. As she she was saying it, the camera cut to a very mournful Ross, who of course represented Roger in that case and did exactly that. It was brilliant, and yet, as you said, most newer viewers would probably not even pick it up. I love when a show has multiple layers.

Archived