Y&R: Week of November 17, 2008

• Members

QUOTE (Chris B @ Nov 17 2008, 02:06 PM)
IMO Dina and Nina both need to stay full time. To pay you can cut Karen, Devon (or give him a real story), Colleen (or recast), JT, Jana, Kevin and even wrap up Jeffrey and Gloria's story. Then you have Michael Grazaidei who will leave when his contract is up. That should be enough money for those two plus Victoria Rowell.
There really are some of the cast that could be cut, my list to cut: Karen (although I love NP), Devon, JT is now useless since he married Vikki (BORING), Jeff and Gloria (although I love JC, I'm tired of Gloria and her men!!!!!). I like Jana and Kevin they just need a good storyline. Get rid of River and cut the Eden character for good. We need a Colleen since they are rebuilding the Abbott's, just not the current actress in the role, bring back Adrianne Leon or a decent recast for the character.

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder if it's a directing or scripted thing. Mike Denney, who has a long history with Y&R, directed the show today.

I wonder who directed that scene at GL, was it Bruce S. Barry? The heart and soul of GL's directing team died when Wheeler fired him, he was a great director.

On a side note, Marla Adams and Beth Maitland are perfectly cast as mother and daughter, they look so much alike.

• Members

I know what you mean too. I forgot really how much I missed Liz until I saw her on these shows. I always loved her and Kay together. And I always felt Bill Bell did such a wonderful job with Liz after she married Stuart too. This lady who had been almost as poor as a church mouse was suddenly a wealthy lady of the manor. Liz was so uncomfortable.

Many scenes of those early days still stick out in my mind, but one in particular was when that terrible Bond Gideon was playing Jill. I remember Liz was cleaning up the Chancellor mansion and Jill was officially broke for the first time in a long time. I think it must have not been too long after Stuart divorced her and she didn't get anything. But Jill was really bitching and moaning about her life and didn't know what to do. Liz handed her the feather duster and told her to get to work dusting. It was an hillarious scene. Liz always just told it as it was.

As to the references to popular culture. I think that came out of Bill Bell's training. If you will watch old sitcoms even or old primetime dramas there were hardly ever any references to popular culture. Even for the most part the older soaps did not do that. Agnes Nixon I think was the first to really use references to popular culture more often on her shows as finally acknowledging the Vietnam War.

I remember hearing a writer talk one time on the old Mike Douglas Show where he talked about one of the things that they were taught was to keep the writing timeless and not to make references to things that if a person somewehre down the line happens to tune in will still get.

I have often thought about that statement. Recently my kids and I were watching a marathon of my Golden Girls DVD's and often that show referred to popular culture. There were many times I would be rolling as I understood the reference but my kids would be sitting there almost dumbstruck as they did not get the joke. I remember Sophia made several references to the movie Ishtar and the jokes were funny because I knew how terrible the film was and the critics reaction to it. They just sat there going what in the world is Ishtar.

So I can understand why Bell possibly kept the show in sort of it's own vacuum.

• Members

I remember that scene!

In the end, it was kind of important, wasn't it?

Because it was from this low point that Jill went to work at Jabot, right? As I recall, it was BOND who started the Jill-at-Jabot story with Brett Halsley as John.

It was later in the year (closer to the summer) that Deborah Adair took over the role. My memory (could be false) was that Adair's first scene was at the hospital, with Snapper, in the waiting room or lobby, where she was asking him about sunscreen and PABA...trying to move Jabot into that area.

Jill was really the character who bridged "old" Y&R (Brooks/Foster) and "new" Y&R (Abbotts/Williams). Well, Jill and Nikki. Because Nikki had been introduced (the year before?), as Casey's sister, and she was the vehicle by which Paul was introduced, and Paul was the vehicle by which the Williams clan was introduced.

What year was all of this? 1981?

• Members

Add my snaps to the Traci/Lauren reconciliation with Danny watching. What a treat, for a new fan it was intriguing. Why was Danny so happy? What did he get out of those moments? Very well done for new and old.

I love Dina just skipping out, somethings never change. I hope we see her again soon to revisit the old Abbott clan drama. What was Dina and Mamie's relationship like? Also, did anyone catch that look Dina gave Brad? Did she want to jump him or slap him.

The only part I found myself FFing were the Katherine as Marge parts at the trailor park, which I do not think bodes well for the continuation of this story. I wonder how long they are going to stretch this.

The will reading is today right? I look forward to watching the show tonight.

• Members

I just have to say that I really, really love the trailer set. It looks so different from all of the mansion sets that the show uses, which is good, because on some shows (hey, ALL MY CHILDREN, listen up! I'm talking about YOU!), you really can't tell if a set is supposed to be "rich" or "middle class" or "poor." The trailer is very realistic.

And shallow moment...exactly when did Adam go from slightly pasty to delightfully tasty?

Archived