OLTL Discussion: Week of November 3rd

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, I actually didn't find it as offensive as everyone has stated here in this thread. I think for me, the balance is what saved it for me. The episode was composed of more than just Marty and Todd having sex, but other major happenings of other storylines and I liked the back and forth Marty and Todd had leading up to the scenes.

• Members

Well, besides the obvious, I loved the episode. The birth montage was brilliant. I almost cried when Tess realized her baby wasn't making any noise. And Kristen Alderson has become quite a good young actress.

Other thoughts from the week - the Rex/Shane/Brody scenes were beautiful and sad, Viki and Dorian's scenes today were great, Janet and Dr. What's-her-name are great actors... is Vanessa evil?

• Members

This is classic, gothic soap opera.

The two actors have compelling chemistry.

This is a fictional soap opera. Drama is about conflict.

I have watched OLTL since the 80's, and I was a HUGE fan during the gang rape storyline- and OLTL should have won the show emmy for 1994.

I am just not offended at all. If Marty HAD her memory and fell in love with Todd I would be offended.

And I know that Todd will get his comeuppance when Marty's memory does come back.

To me the story is risky and good high stakes soap opera.

Rape is one of the most vile crimes

but the PSA at the end of the show was quite jarring...

And in the end, we should all be offended that TODD WAS EVER REDEEMED AT ALL!

Let us not forget that Todd was made into an antihero-

Did he ever pay for his crime, really?

Remember that scar that Roger Howarth wore? That was supposed to have been Todd's constant reminder of what he had done.

Sorry, a scar does not make up for the crime of rape.

And didn't Todd KILL Suede Pruitt, Marty's boyfriend??

Everybody is on their high horses regarding this storyline- when the redemption of Todd in 1994/95 was probably the most offensive thing ever done on this show-

That being said, its a soap. It is pretty compelling to watch, and I think the rest of the show is a mess.

• Members

Im glad they had Susan Haskell do a PSA bc what Todd did to Marty today was rape

I thought that Niki was just in Tess' mind. If thats the case then how the hell could she PHYSICALLY deliver that baby for her? The Niki scenes were alright till that happened. Big WTF

Loved Viki and Jean though and how she realized what happeend to Nat

• Members

I enjoyed all that I watched on the show today, FF through all the Todd/Marty stuff, I just couldn't bring myself to watch it.

Loved seeing Jean again, she has always been a favorite alter of mine and it was a pleasure to see her again and her giving insight to Viki was great as well.

As campy and lame as it was to watch Tina and Cain sit by David Victors side while she had puppies, it was still quite amusing.

Cannot wait to see tomorrow when Viki and Charlie rescue their children.

• Members

The PSA was a turn off (they should have just stuffed that in the hole their integrity went in when they wrote this) as was the sex and the prelude to it. It wasn't gothically dark, IMO, DAYS was gothically dark in 1994-1996 - this was just disgusting and unnecessary. I wonder how much better the episode would have been as a whole if OLTL didn't sink to the lowest common denominator with that story.

They're was something off-putting about all the multiple personalities as well. I don't know, it felt like a little too much - like they were laying it on too thick.

• Members

I loved today's show - well, except for the obvious.

All the birth scenes were so well done. Even Tina and Cain helping David Vickers. I love it when Carlivati ties events together like that.

It was so cool seeing Jean again. Erika was great today.

But...Todd and Marty - boring and nasty. End of story.

• Members

I agree with most people that it is disturbing and creepy, and maybe that's why it fascinates me! LOL!

Todd has always been portrayed as a borderline psychopath, so why is all of this so shocking? There is something so very psychologically intriguing about watching Todd victimize and love Marty at the same time. And I will credit the writers for taking the time they need to tell this story - Todd has had Marty captive for 5 MONTHS.

I will be the first in line to cry FOUL if Marty finds herself in love with Todd after her memory returns, or if she feels "conflicted" about her "feelings" for him. The only acceptable outcome of this is for Marty to prosecute Todd to the fullest extent of the law for what amounts to kidnapping. Or cut his danglers off! LOL!

Archived