October 6-10, 2008

Toups

• Members

I agree with Rose. GL has nothing to offer me. The show is cheaply produced. The sets(what are left) are horrible. The acting is horrible. The storylines are nonexistent. Seriously, this is NOT GL. I am glad you find GL has something to offer you. Because it just gives me a headache now. I just dont watch anymore. Its a shame because I had watched the show since 1978. RIP GL. The show has been gone for sometime now.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I myself have called for GL to be cancelled on many occasions, but then I realized no matter how bad GL gets the other soaps are in a far worse place. If GL is still bringing in 2 million viewers with this horrible production style and the others are only bringing in 200,000 to 400,000 more viewers with expensive production, high profile returns, and overpaid head writers, how long do you think it will be before AMC/OLTL/GH/DAYS/ATWT start looking worse than GL?

And with that the state of GL really isn't the issue anymore it's a done deal. The issue is when the production model begins to carry over on to other soaps will you as a fan still be there watching it. Cause if most people are up in arms about a show they don't even watch and nothing is being done to help that show, what are we gonna do when the shows we actually watch start looking like GL......absolutely nothing!!!

• Members

I agree. I just hope the suits are willing to let the audience build slowly... it will take time. If the suits freak and don't see a big boost soon, will they 'interfere' with what appears to be competent head writing and try to mess with it? That will cause another ratings dive and we might as well give up.

Will ABC give AMC the time it needs to built back up???

• Members

I would also love to see AMC get better ratings. Besides from the wreck that is Ryan, Greenlee, & Aidan, I think the show is pretty good. I think the show is doing a really good job of mixing up the characters and focusing on more than one couple. I hope that they continue to focus on the core families & take AMC up the ratings ladder.

• Members

Just a comment... if the acting is so horrible, then why has GL pretty much cleaned up at the Emmys for the last two years as far as the acting categories? It is GREAT that GL is getting all this attention in here! Gotta love GL for better or worse, bring on another 70 years.

• Members

While nothing has been officially released, you can bet Bloom handed down an edict that GL must rise in the ratings to stay on the air. You can also bet that Bloom doesn't give a rat's butt about "other soaps" on "other networks." Yes, if GL is canceled, others will probably go soon after. No, CBS doesn't currently have anything to replace it with. BUT, when talk fests like Dr. Phil and Rachael Ray can provide better lead ins to local news programming, which leads to better prime time lead ins, it becomes better for the network.

The acting on GL is, for the most part, top notch. There are a few bad apples in the bunch, but the only thing keeping GL alive right now is the acting. If we hadn't had Zimmer, Raines and Deas this past spring, GL would have been horrible. It was bad, but not completely bad.

I don't think anyone wants to say, "Put GL out of its misery," but viewers who have watched as long as I have are sad that GL has come to this point. It didn't need to happen, but gross mis-management and ill advised direction of the show over a long period of years did this show in. Wheeler and Bloom only made it worse. No one wants to see GL die, but when you've seen a loved one suffer for years and years, you simply want to let her die with some dignity.

• Members

Ya know how when your 70-something grandma falls and breaks her hip, 'cause no one is around to take care of her? Then her health declines to a point of no return, 'cause again those who can don't give her the proper care. So you surround her with her favorite things and let her trail off. You don't want to see the pathetic ending 'cause she'd been better off going out in a blaze of cussing, screaming glory.

CBS, let GL go. It'll never be the same. It's 71 years old, for God sake, no show is EVER going to reach that milestone. Celebrate, and move on.

I was at home and sick for a few days and tried to watch. I ended up changing the channel to reruns of The Sopranos and Battlestar Galactica. And I'd already seen those episodes multiple times. I think soaps would be better and more widely watched if they followed a night-time format. Limit each show to one day a week, filling a particular time slot (YR, 12:30 PM, Monday; ATWT, 12:30 PM Tuesday; etc, etc.), increase production values to those of night-time shows, decrease casts (early soaps had 10-15 characters tops), and radically change the industry. Maybe this would help syndicate the show for an evening/late night audience. Sure it changes the concept of soap opera, but somebody has to do something.

Otherwise when I have have the time I'll be watching better produced, better written shows in reruns during daytime, and obviously with the dropping ratings other people are doing the same thing.

• Members

Let's just get down to it, it's not if CBS will cancel Guiding Light, it's a matter of when. If it's not next year, 2010 or five years from now but we all see the writing the wall. We should be asking is whether these actors on the show will ever work again in daytime or any genre.

On another note, I don't understand why the show is not putting Reva and Josh back together instead this stupid pregnancy storyline. Ratings actually rose when they re-acted their Cross Creek wedding, so why don't they give us what we want.

Archived