October 6-10, 2008

Toups

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here is how I see the GL thing. It may be cheaper to produce but since the ratings have decreased so if the ad revenue meaning it is still in the same situation. Now if they had changed this model and maintained their ratings it woulf look a whole lot better.

• Members

this is how I see the GL "problem", GL and ATWT will be on the air until CBS finds a suitable replacement for both shows. it won't be talk shows nor will it be a game show either. CBS's daytime line up has always consisted of four soaps and always will. CBS will not lose those two hours to local affiliates no way, no how. So people get used to seeing GL and ATWT drag along for the next couple of years until two new shows replace it. CBS is just buying time till they find GL and ATWT's replacement. This is one of the reasons why we are seeing soaps business model changing. Whatever soaps or "serials" take their place it will have the new production model times ten. Casts will be much smaller, Fewer sets will be used, and outdoor shots will be used more. There will be no difference in the look of daytime and primetime. As much as some of us hate it, this is the future of our soaps.

• Members

The scary thing is I see Wheeler's model being used on other shows in the future. The costs of producing a daytime drama are just so high. These shows are not getting the numbers they used to. Some shows are just having a hard time paying their labor and their bills. I absolutely see this happening though with her model being used. This will be the future of daytime.

• Members

Because, Rose, there are still many people who feel that GL has a lot to offer. Because, Rose, not every viewer of the show is salivating to see it cancelled. Because, Rose, GL "no longer being viable in any respectable way" is an opinion of yours, not a statement of fact.

• Members

Bravo! Bravo! Bravo! B-R-A-V-O! I co-sign this post because Rose carries her diatribes throughout the soap webworld (i.e. Daytime Confidential, TV Guide, SOC, etc) slamming GL. Like ivnkplng says, there are MANY PEOPLE like me that still feel GL has a lot of offer.

So does the rest of the daytime soaps.

• Members

People in here tend to forget every week when the ratings get posted when GL has more diverse time slots, more pre-emptions than any other soaps, and so logically they would have a lower ratings than other soaps. The share of the ratings are much higher before people go to work, during lunch, and after work; whereas, GL airs when people are working (i.e. 9am, 10am, 2pm, and 3pm). Y&R, B&B, AMC and DAYS are aired mostly during lunch time which gets benefited by the noon news lead-in.

Their bigger markets are aired in earlier time slots so the ratings would be impacted, so let's hypothetically say what if AMC or OLTL were to air at 9am or 10am in the bigger markets? Wouldn't you assume they would go lower in the ratings if they were to be moved, and I suspect they would definetly be lower than GL's current ratings because they are not that far ahead.

• Members

I think that doesn't matter to the network executive looking at the numbers. I remember that GL pulled 2.6 early last year and 2.0 earlier this year even with the various time slots around the country. The bottom line is that they need to pull up their numbers from 1.5 since Passions was cancelled for pulling the same numbers last year.

• Members

AMC's fall during the week... sounds like folks might have tuned in after hearing the buzz about improvements, saw more Sextet and Rylee stuff.. and tuned back out. I only hope they tuned in again for Mr. Tornado. PRoblem is, ABC promo'd THURSDAY as the big day, and that was heavily Rylee crap ... which might have turned folks OFF from Friday's show.

I really hope we see an AMC ratings boost next week. OTHER than the Ryangst, and Ryan looking like a freaking idiot unfortunately, the show is much improved.

• Members

*Looks upthread to GL fight* Fascinating.... Just fascinating.

I really feel like AMC is in a position to do a little audience building. Big gains aren't possible but the next few months could be an interesting experiment. Babe gone, Kendall off screen for a few months, Greenlee headed out the door, Bianca back with Reese...it's basically my Christmas list. Unfortunately, they seem determined to stick with the Rylee train wreck but that will be over soon enough. The next few months the sextet will be at its weakest. It would be nice to see if we could pull the show back from them. If we can't kill it maybe we grab a couple of 2x4s and beat it into submission long enough to get a few rating points back.

And I admit, I'd like to see the tornado "stunt" pay off a little. I really feel like the the cast (with a few exceptions) and especially the crew at AMC brought their A game. I'd like to see them get a little something for that.

Archived