Y&R: Week of September 22, 2008

• Members

Agreed. However, if TPTB are serious about keeping her on the show, LA is bursting at the seams with acting coaches who can walk her through her lines and teach her about delivery. I don't want to jump the gun on an obviously young girl but, so far, I can't bear her scenes. She needs to dial it down. And, you know, sneak a smile and a self-deprecating joke in there somewhere because, honestly, that would make so much difference.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, casting hit a homerun with Miller and Hendrickson. Too bad this Eden girl didn't work out. But this whole River story is so lame. I watched Mon. and Tues. episodes and FFed through all that ish. Yucky.

And really, there are several people in the 20's set that really suck the life out of every scene. It's beginning to grate on my nerves and even though I have been annoyed with Franz ever since LML decided to bring her onto Y&R, at least she has a presence and an authentic feel to Amber. Several of Franz's castmates are like a blackhole and should never be given screen time for more than a couple of minutes.

• Members

Adrienne Franz was someone I couldn't stand prior to her joining the Y&R. It is amazing what acting like a typical 20 something year old and not a man-trapping baby obsessed nut job can do for a character.

Aside from Jack and Adam, this week has been quite boring. I really loved seeing Jack remember that Victor killed his almost full term baby with Nikki, and had no remorse, but is spending all his time obsessing over a barely developed embryo. Jack has every reason in the world to despise Victor.

• Members

Yes yes yes. Amber is not a likeable character, which is why I love the actress for so beautifully embodying her. When you watch Amber, you feel like you're watching a PERFORMANCE...that is...a well-inhabited character. Moore is capable of playing her with energy and entertaining...even if (as I suspect) she really is just playing herself.

Amber gets A+ from me, in comparison to Sursok and Khalil. The difference in performance skill, and therefore interest value is....jaw-dropping.

I really do understand what you're saying about Eden, but I'm wondering what kinds of notes she is getting. I have a hard time believing that Leblanc and Rikaart and Chapman aren't pulling her aside and giving her tips. I mean, if for no other reason, they don't want their "family" saddled with a "dud". Therefore, I believe she is being told to play it like this...and there is hope for a nuanced performance to come.

In the EARLY days of Drucilla...when she was a pigtailed street child, I HATED Dru. Hated hated hated her. She was nasty, selfish...in that sense, I found nothing initially attractive about her. This reminds me a little of how I'm feeling about Eden. Well, we all know that for whatever reason...one day Dru's hardened heart softened...and she became someone many of us love. Perhaps this is the plan for Eden.

For me, if I still hate her six months from now (assuming she is around)...well then I'll sign on to the hate :). For now, channeling David Evan Smith, I am trusting and going alone for the ride.

LOL. See above.

Heart palpitations here. Victor DIE? The show is immeasureably more watchable (for me) when he is on. I hope he is immortal :).

Yes, Paul and Nikki...I think THEY are the special surprise to emerge from "the ashes" of Sudden Impact. AND IT MAKES SENSE. They started together in the early 80s. Therefore it makes terrific sense that...at this way station in life...they might rediscover each other. So far, I perceive no ROMANCE...just friendship. But I'm hoping that one of these days they are surprised that some of those old sexy feelings remain.

I like Amber. Honestly, I never saw her as a "baby obsessed man trap". Well, maybe a man trap :). The reason I grew to appreciate Amber on B&B was her UTTERLY REALISTIC portrayal of an insecure trailer park girl. That isn't always 'attractive' or 'nice' to watch. But it felt so real...which was unusual on the often-unreal B&B. Amber (like Deacon and Stephanie and sometimes Felicia) is one of the few characters on B&B who felt/feel authentic, genuine.

That said, I much prefer this version of Amber (even if it is kind of ignoring her past). Remember her debut song on the show, Seven Seconds?

"...as I contemplate

All the nonsense I create..."

That was and is Amber (and I suspect Adrienne).

She is a screwup...an insecure young woman who falls into bed too easily, who is not confident in her identity and direction, who has never known the real love of a man (sincere, uncomplicated)...and she shows every iota of this inner maelstrom in those eyes. She's also FUN. She'll get you in trouble, but you'll laugh your butt off being led there by her.

Thank you for sharing that Jack tidbit. So far, his attack on Victor has seemed a tad unmotivated (lost Restless Style? who cares?)...but explaining the loss of his own child (and, last week, that HE was able to cope with Luan's death)....puts all of this into some kind of context.

• Members

I agree---I'm willing to give more of a chance--I think we've seen a couple of moments in the Lauren scenes that lead me to think there's potential---and there's also so much of the "all anger" to make me think that's the notes she was given.

I never could stomack Amber on B&B, but this time around, she's ok. I hate that she's become soft.

Now sidenote, I love Heather even more with the going after Victor.

• Members

Mark H, I felt differently about Dru right off the bat because her anger came from living a tough life on the street. She had every reason in the world to hate the world and everyone in it. This Eden is supposed to have lived on the Ashram most her life and so instead of playing this as angry and mad should be just playing the scared and devastated aspect of this. It isn't any one's fault that River is in jail other than his own. He's the one who went chasing Micheal and everyone to GC. They didn't bring the FEDS to the Ashram. What does make sense would be if Judith Chapman is giving this young woman notes. However being over the top works a little better for her but still makes many hate her character.

• Members

Mark, I do agree that the actress playing Eden might be told to act like that. And I didn't want to imply that I HATE the actress. But it's just too much yelling, whether it is her choice to play it or she's being told. lol

I know Victor is like Y&R's Reva lol. But I never liked Victor. I hate him. I mean, okay, I don't want him gone, cause it wouldn't be the same. But the man sometimes annoys me to no end. But Eric Braeden is a great actor (when he's speaking normally and not mumbling).

• Members

AF throws herself into Amber. Thats the type of actress he is. Its as if she BECOMES Amber and brings her to life. She doesnt just go in,r ead lines, act from tiem to time. Thats why i think she is amazing.

I have loved the entire week aside from jack & Adam, i just FF by them. They bore me.

Archived