Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)


cct

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members
On 4/16/2020 at 9:37 AM, OzFrog said:

 

 

Some more EON episodes have just emerged. No dates, but they appear to be from 1979. Not sure if these have been uploaded previously. I did like that the first one has Margaret Colin (pre-ATWT) and Vasili Bogazianos (pre-AMC).

These two episodes were broadcast on March 13 and 14 1979. Sharon Gabet's last episode before a six month break.  Her departure episode is one of the best EON / Slesar episodes ever.  Sharon's performance, the directing, music, the rest of the cast.  late 1978 and early 79 was a high water mark for Edge on ABC.  The next six months on the show was tough with Sharon's exit and the Mansion of the Damned plot. They also scrapped the Paige story and wrote her and Brian off.  But Kim Hunter was so entertaining. And when Sharon returned during Margo's murder trial it was the beginning of another big classic EON period.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 1/28/2019 at 7:27 PM, j swift said:

This truly is my favorite minute in soap history and since it hasn't evoked much response in the Best Soap Scenes thread, I thought that I would re-post here.

 

It starts at around the 17-minute mark - After another fight with Logan, Raven has decided to leave Jamey with April while she returns to England to be with her mother. 

 

I rewatch this scene for many reasons:

(a)The underscore that evolves into the theme gives me chills

(b)The layers of Raven trying to be callus so April will keep Jamey away from Logan

(c) the sick undertone that Raven is leaving to go seduce her mother's husband in England, who is also Draper's father

(d)the idea that the whole story is told in one episode but it sets up issues for the custody hearing that won't happen for another year 

(e)that she messes up the line a bit but they keep this long take which makes it seem more like theater

(f) the fact that a writer finally capitulated that the name Raven is odd and needed to be explained

(g)Raven leaving the show isn't even the cliffhanger of the episode

 

 

Though it feels odd to quote myself, I stand by that this is my favorite minute in soap history.

 

I also find it so clever that Logan telling Raven that she was incapable of loving another was the catalyst for leaving Jamey with April, and it became a character trait that haunted Raven until she had children with Sky.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

Thanks (again) for that clip, @j swift!

 

Henry Slesar's work on EON and CAPITOL remains a masterclass in dramatic writing.  And anyone who believes soaps can't be good if produced on small to no budgets need only to watch EON to see how wrong they are.  Next to Y&R, EON was the most atmospheric show on daytime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, Khan said:

Thanks (again) for that clip, @j swift!

 

Henry Slesar's work on EON and CAPITOL remains a masterclass in dramatic writing.  And anyone who believes soaps can't be good if produced on small to no budgets need only to watch EON to see how wrong they are.  Next to Y&R, EON was the most atmospheric show on daytime.

So true.

Edge always had a rep for cheap sets but looking at the August 79 eps the house set had a full staircase leading to a second level, rather than the dinky staircases seen on other soaps (then and now). And April and Drapers home had a period style with a definite flavor, rather than  the generic stuff we see now.

It's a big beef of mine that todays shows are still writing like its the 80's without the budget to back it up.

They need to go back to a more intimate approach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
6 hours ago, RavenWhitney said:

These two episodes were broadcast on March 13 and 14 1979. Sharon Gabet's last episode before a six month break.  Her departure episode is one of the best EON / Slesar episodes ever.  Sharon's performance, the directing, music, the rest of the cast.  late 1978 and early 79 was a high water mark for Edge on ABC.  The next six months on the show was tough with Sharon's exit and the Mansion of the Damned plot. They also scrapped the Paige story and wrote her and Brian off.  But Kim Hunter was so entertaining. And when Sharon returned during Margo's murder trial it was the beginning of another big classic EON period.  

It was actually September not March. That said, Raven’s speech in that episode was riveting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The first four months of the Emily/Kirk storyline was painful. I hated that milk toast actress. But Slesar turned it around in the second half, culminating in the August amusement park location shoot.  Edge took off after that through Slesar's firing.  Last great chapter of the show.

Joe Lambie was a revelation. So sexy and dang good actor.

I loved Poppy and Eddie! I thought they should have kept Poppy around and made her Mitzi's sister.

It was so depressing to watch Lee Sheldon ruin the show in the last 18 months.

Edited by RavenWhitney
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
54 minutes ago, RavenWhitney said:

The first four months of the Emily/Kirk storyline was painful. I hated that milk toast actress. But Slesar turned it around in the second half, culminating in the August amusement park location shoot.  Edge took off after that through Slesar's firing.  Last great chapter of the show.

Joe Lambie was a revelation. So sexy and dang good actor.

I loved Poppy and Eddie! I thought they should have kept Poppy around and made her Mitzi's sister.

It was so depressing to watch Lee Sheldon ruin the show in the last 18 months.

I mostly agree except for the the summer of 1982 with that ridiculous Republic of Eden storyline. It started off with such promise but then fell apart. To do this day, I don't understand why they cast Mark Andrews (Chad Sutherland). Yeah, he was cute but he was a terrible actor.  I also loved Poppy and Eddie. Poppy was so much fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 4/23/2020 at 10:33 PM, Khan said:

Thanks (again) for that clip, @j swift!

 

Henry Slesar's work on EON and CAPITOL remains a masterclass in dramatic writing.  And anyone who believes soaps can't be good if produced on small to no budgets need only to watch EON to see how wrong they are.  Next to Y&R, EON was the most atmospheric show on daytime.

 

As the years (decades!!!) go by, I look back with even more respect for Slesar's work than I had ever had before. I think I took his quality writing for granted and did not appreciate it as much as I should have at the time. There were still many great scribes penning the soaps in the 1970s, and I assumed we would always have good writers on board. Little did I know how far the genre would fall. 

 

Henry Slesar could do it all: weave long-running and intricate storylines that involved most of the cast, create heartfelt romantic drama and family strife, and provide us with rich, colorful characters to root for.

 

How I miss soaps' halcyon years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Community Activity

    1. 2,899

      Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

    2. 2,899

      Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

    3. 2,899

      Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy