Edge of Night (EON) (No spoilers please)

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Given that it is the 36th anniversary of the final episode, let's discuss our memories of the finale. 

Many cite the finale as the best soap ending in the genre, which is admittedly a lot to live up to upon repeat viewing. I just rewatched it and I was left as excited by the cliffhanger as I was upon my initial viewing.  It is remarkable that they built entire new sets for Miles's Honeymoon Suite and Wonderland Lane as the show was ending.  I always loved the EON score, so to hear the music cue at the end of episode sent chills up my spine. However, I was left with a few questions: Was Laurie Karr brought back once they knew the show was cancelled or were there larger plans for the character?  Why wasn't she in the final episode? And how would Jody know who she was when Mike mentioned her at the wedding?  Regardless of those nitpicks, I still enjoy the episode and I think it deserves its iconic status.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I had mentioned in the thread for The Doctors that Retro TV had reached out to Procter & Gamble about acquiring the rights to their soaps.  P&G advised that they were no longer licensing their shows.  More recently, the person from Retro who was involved in this said that EON was the soap they were interested in acquiring. 

• Members

Eh - it’s likely not “easy money.” Those shows may have issues with residuals. They haven’t been rerun in over 30 years and the original tapes likely need to be reformatted/digitized, and someone needs to review the episodes to make sure all the elements are cleared for broadcast. And P&G doesn’t produce much/any TV right now, so they’d have to hire people to do this. Retro is a small outfit and they’re not going to pay a lot. It may not be worth P&G’s time, from a business standpoint.

• Members

Retro didn’t do anything but license “The Doctors.” SFM, a syndicator that has been around for years, distributes the show and did all the heavy lifting in terms of digitizing and clearing those episodes. This is SFM’s business model; they distribute a lot of older TV shows, and they have a staff in place to do all of this.

P&G, on the other hand, doesn’t have a distribution arm for its back library and likely doesn’t have an in-house staff to prep and clear the shows. They are focused on their higher-margin consumer goods business. On top of all of that, most if not all episodes of “The Doctors” were made before residuals were built into the actors’ contracts. The available episodes of EON were mostly made after residuals became standard, so that further decreases the potential upside. Different situation.