B&B: Week of September 1, 2008

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am watching Friday's honey bear scenes right now.

First of all, Pam bopping Donna on the head and Donna slumping in the doorway = something out of the silent movie era.

And dousing her with honey? I love Pam!

When Owen tried to distract the bear and Pam suddenly appeared? She ran out the door and Owen gave her a look like "Oh. Hey." :lol:

Jennifer Gareis may look like she's had more botox than hot dinners but I still can't helping liking ditzy Donna. What's her motive for shtupping Owen, though? A thank you for distracting the bear?

God. All this dialogue is so bad. KKL and RM look especially embarrassed about having to utter this drivel. No wonder Steffy and Marcus got the hell out of there.

Ridge: At least now...

Brooke: Oh, God.

Ridge: We know the truth.

Brooke: Donna's gonna be okay, thanks to Owen.

Oh, man. Ronn Moss is the world's worst soap actor, hands down. At least Drake Hogestyn has an eyebrow that helps out and sexual chemistry with other actors. Moss is just a mullet-wearing void of suckitude.

• Members

The past week was one of the most laughable things I've seen in soap history. How far B&B has fallen since Storm's death. How did it get this low? Hopefully with this story wrapped up they move onto something more exciting. It just doesn't feel like B&B anymore. It's an odd show to watch. They have the right cast in place and are wasting them. Still can't believe Jennifer Gareis got Owen over Felicia when she already has a love interest. B&B always does this.

• Members

Ummmmmmm...just teasing!!..........did you also like DOOL and Passions? LOL.

For me, honestly, Friday was fine. It met the test of "entertaining". It was also wildly over the top...which is not out of character for B&B...but every time it happens, it seems (to me) to drift further and further from Bill Bell's vision.

In another thread (DOOL 1969-1973), Steve Frame beautifully evokes the "forbidden love" or "love denied" theme of classic Bell. I personally feel that was a theme of his Y&R too. Think how briefly Nikki and Victor were happy.

Now, on B&B, I see it almost as the opposite...people GIVING IN all the time...and ruining their lives by doing so.

Snark has a beautiful critique of the current Katie storyline. He really does speak (for me) to the squandered opportunity. Instead of feeling enlightened by the show, most of the time I just feel silly.

• Members

I have to comment on yesterday's show - Jennifer G was the best I've ever seen her. The blue moonlight over her and her talking about feeling safe for the first time in a long time really made me appreciate her as an actress. B&B is working for me now...but that could change easily when the move the focus back to Katie and Nick.

• Members

As to Snakrs GREAT blog entry--he said

"Why did B&B even bother to bring up such serious and thorny issues, only to swerve back into well-trod territory? Why create an opportunity for such spectacular drama if you can't execute it with anything more than clichéd dialogue and deus ex machina epiphanies?"

hasn't B&B always had a bit of a rep for doing this? i've never been a steady watcher so prob shouldnt' comment, but I know in Wagget's '1997 Soap Encyclopeda he mentions a few times they try for pretyt dark and taboo subjects in soaps only to then swerve into cliches tha tmake them almost insulting (one was a male sexual abuse story that I think involved tennis and the sound fo jangling keys lol)

• Members

In the early days, given that it was a new soap finding its feet, I found the tone relatively consistent. It was a darker, Y&R-edged show.

I assume Bradley Bell came on in the early 90s because that's when the show began to suffer from ADD and veer wildly in tone. In the late 90s, it really got accentuated. It felt that TPTB were not taking the show seriously as a soap. Merely as an exercise. And as a viewer, I cannot tell you how dispiriting it is for me to see no follow-through in the SLs, no evolution.

• Members

Going from memory, Tracy Ann (last name missing...I didn't sleep well) was SW.

I know Deveney (blanking on last name...I wanna say "Dixon", but that was a psycho on the show's early years) was director of BOTH B&B AND Y&R yesterday.

Archived