ABC:WTF? ABC actually did a network promo with the soaps?

• Members

I'm glad that they remembered Daytime. Damn, it does look like they forgot The View. I didn't see them in the print ad collage in TV Guide either. Even The Nightline reporters and The Super Nanny were included. That was a big oversight on someones part.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

First I just overall just like this fall promo campaign ABC was doing. It was very nice to see they included the morning shows (GMA) as well as the soaps. MB, SB and LaLucci are the big names of ABC daytime and we know they feel about CM and RB so I am not surprised they were also in the promo. But a bit surprised FF and JPL were featured for OLTL. I guess I am not one of those people tuning into OLTL for Rex/Gigi...I actually feel more like FF throughing their scenes. Very nice promo that they included their entire line up and didn't treat daytime, primetime and late night as three separate things. Like someone else said that they are trying to promo the image that you can choose ABC all day.

• Members

This is very impressive. I read this promo as "woman-oriented", with all the female-skewing programs on the network. In that context, ABC daytime belongs there. Was the View included? If yes, I missed that one...

I have also seen DOOL promoted on NBC primetime a little.

So is it only CBS that relegates the daypart to invisible in the promos? A few years ago, Y&R (under LML) was featured at the annual network upfronts. This year, I don't think that happened either....

• Members

Hmmm...I wonder if this proves that these three shows are the "on the bubble" (could be cancelled) shows? So they wanted one promo they could run longer.

Also, I happen to like Kate on lost :-). But I think the selection of characters for the Lost bit...including the DECEASED Jin!...shows whom ABC considers to be the core "eye-candy"/viewer favorites. Me...I've met only a few characters on Lost that I DON'T love.

• Members

^Yeah. If they really wanted to attract the viewers they would have done one with more vets in it. Like maybe they would have had the Q's in for GH, Adam/Jesse/Angie/Tad/Erica in for AMC, and Dorian/Viki/The Buchanan's in for OLTL instead of all the newer/younger set of characters. (Well, besides Erica. Which luckily made her way in)

Then again. ABC don't give a crap about vets/history when it comes to attracting and keeping soap viewers. Even though the veteran and long term characters are some of the most interesting.

Archived