ABC:WTF? ABC actually did a network promo with the soaps?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a great promo as far as ABC including their soaps...the fact that LaLucci made it in, she's over 60 everyone, is a testament to the woman's ability to draw viewers. I would also guess that the soap stars who made this promo are the ones who score the best in focus groups since ABC is ever so fond of those.

• Members

Focus group feedback would only be relevant if they tested these specific promos, and if they compared them against other potential inclusions (such as Todd and Viki). I like Rex and Gigi fine, but I don't think a casual viewer of this promo is going to get a split second glimpse of Rex and Gigi and say, "Oh Wow! I ought to check out OLTL to see what these two are about." You may be correct in your assumption about how these particular characters were chosen to be included. But if you are, I say ABC needs to get a new ad agency, because their promo strategy is faulty if indeed the intent is to attract viewers to their daytime lineup.

Furthermore, I agree with the posters who are saying we shouldn't complain. I happily applaud anything that indicates there's more of an investment there, whether I agree with the specific tactic or not. It's a refreshing change.

• Members

Oh, heavens, soaps haven't stuck to sensical things like that with focus groups for years, simply years. And, if soaps have I'm sure it has drifted toward later in the day, too. Just slap some 8x10 glossies down & ask the participants if they think they'd like to see a show with that person in it.

I completely agree that it's great news. Personally I think it's kind of amazing that they're branching out into Internet web ads. They've been so terrified of this place out here. But, CBS at least has now been streaming all of their soaps online for enough time to know something about what kind of & how much traffic they're getting. Plus, how much they're getting there rather than YouTube.

• Members

QUOTE (Donna B @ Aug 23 2008, 10:11 PM)
Oh, heavens, soaps haven't stuck to sensical things like that with focus groups for years, simply years. And, if soaps have I'm sure it has drifted toward later in the day, too. Just slap some 8x10 glossies down & ask the participants if they think they'd like to see a show with that person in it.

I know this, but it still boggles my mind. Who are their research people? They must not have a clue.

• Members

I just saw the promo on TV sans the daytime folks. In their place they had other ABC shows left off the initial promo like "Eli Stone".

In the one I just saw it featured four "Lost" guys and Kate. Jin was one of them. I guess that's a spoiler for next year. He's alive for sure.

• Members

QUOTE (Donna B @ Aug 25 2008, 09:12 AM)
Their research people are people who provide what they want. If they weren't, they'd be fired & replaced by people would would. This is not a case of some kind of relatively benign neglect. They make wrong choice while really thinking they're making good ones.

Well there is that, so you're right, of course. Frons seems to think he's the expert on everything, but ABC Daytimes promotion strategy makes no sense, and I am not even talking about what characters are featured.

Archived