ABC:WTF? ABC actually did a network promo with the soaps?

• Members

I'm beginning to wonder if the first promo isn't designed to bring primetime viewers to soaps but vice versa. I think they'll show it during the day as a way of promoting the primetime line up while interspersing the familiar faces soap and GMA viewers are used to. I suspect that only the second promo will get shown in primetime.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

But how would that be an accurate way to represent each show? If they had all of the younger characters, that wouldn't be accurate, but neither would showing all of the older characters. Having vets, vets, nothing but vets would give off the impression that the shows are only about characters over 40, which is not (and has never been) true. Besides, I don't see how a non-soap viewer would be more enticed to watch daytime just by seeing veterans in the promos. The veterans really don't mean anything to those who don't watch soaps because...they don't watch soaps. "Oh look, they're promoting their soaps, and that character there is old, so she must have been around for 30 years, so she must be interesting, so I must watch the show..." I don't see that happening.

I'm happy and satisfied and over the moon that they included daytime in this promo, and I like the people they put in it (okay yeah, Rex and Gigi for OLTL is strange), but yeah, there are a few things that I don't like. I like how they sort of customized the segments for the primetime shows...the apples for DH, the outfits for Betty, the family tree for B&S, etc. It would have kicked all sorts of ass if the soap opera characters were shown in surroundings from their shows...Erica could have been flipping through a photo album and for GH they could have had Robin or Liz or someone in hospital clothes at the nurses station.

I know! Shame on them for promoting their soaps and actually trying to attract viewers through advertisements! How stupid of them!

• Members

Both CBS or P&G and ABC began stretching their soap promos earlier this month. And, now, in addition to ads outside daytime, ads in print, there are also web ads all over the place.

I think this promo has one real problem, though, and not an unusual one for covering many shows, and that is just that, there's too much in it, the images go by so fast. However, I love the new solo Pushing Daisies promo & the new solo Dirty, Sexy Money promo. I get that the combo ones are more about branding & synthesis, but I still prefer to have longer shots, fewer edits, etc. The music's great but it, too, emphasizes how fast things are flying by. Totally love the Pushing Daisies dog beginning it.

• Members

QUOTE (Donna B @ Aug 23 2008, 04:28 PM)
Both CBS or P&G and ABC began stretching their soap promos earlier this month. And, now, in addition to ads outside daytime, ads in print, there are also web ads all over the place.

I think this promo has one real problem, though, and not an unusual one for covering many shows, and that is just that, there's too much in it, the images go by so fast. However, I love the new solo Pushing Daisies promo & the new solo Dirty, Sexy Money promo. I get that the combo ones are more about branding & synthesis, but I still prefer to have longer shots, fewer edits, etc. The music's great but it, too, emphasizes how fast things are flying by. Totally love the Pushing Daisies dog beginning it.

ITA. I am not sure what they even showed about any of the shows that would make you want to tune in if you didn't already have some idea what those shows were about and who the characters being featured in the promo were. I mean seriously, is Steve Burton that good looking to some that just a shot of him scratching his chin is going to make you go "Who is that guy?!! I must see more of him. Where can I find him?" and start watching GH.

Archived