Y&R Josh Griffith fired!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thing is, who could they possibly have in the running for that position? From what we've heard, Rauch is out of the running, and it doesn't look like they'll be promoting one of their crappy lower-level producers.

I mean very few EP's have been fired from other shows during the past five years or so. We know that usually when an EP or HW is fired from one show, they usually pop up at another show. Daytime is incestuous after all.

However, with most of these shows intent on keeping their EP's, especially those at ABC and P&G, it's not likely Y&R will inherit a recently fired EP.

Unless we're in for a surprise and they do hire someone from Y&R's past or hire someone with a good reputation that's been missing from daytime for a few years.

• Members

That's very true. I do feel like there is a serious contradiction here, and one I've been as guilty of as the next person. But I do feel like Y&R has really come back to life in terms of story since Maria and Hogan started working together. The only thing missing is someone to tie it all together so it feels like Y&R. So I'd be happy with someone from the old regime EP'ing, and Maria/Hogan co-headwriting.

I wouldn't say that about all soaps - I do think some soaps out there are just spinning their wheels, inventing one cliched soap plot after another, not really trying anything new, and those are the ones that could use some new blood. But Y&R is pretty much ALL new blood these days, so one link to the past is a smart move. But that's just my own personal opinion. I totally understand if others feel differently.

• Members

This is where the lack of insight in the soap press KILLS me. It seems like such an obvious nobrainer for SOD to sit down with Bill Bell Jr. and say--"Straight talk. Why aren't you bringing in some of your great EPs of the past". And Bill Bell Jr. could tell us, and it would make sense, and we'd all shut up. Instead, we do this crazy finger puzzle trying to figure it out.

That is truly, truly scary is what it is. I see Y&R continuing to struggle. A show that can create the 8/6/08 episode can't repeat it? Consistency is the key, but Y&R still has no idea.

The lack of history knowledge is continuing to harm the show. Three "ex-Californians" (Lauren, Amber, and Daniel when he was on the run) were on that Malibu beach, and NOT A ONE OF THEM mentioned how it felt to be "back". Argh! I know that seems small. Someone here recently mentioned "why didn't Kay or someone comment on the irony of Danny's son and Traci's daughter singing together?" Of course that is a no-brainer...but nobody on the writing staff seems to remember it or, if they do (Maria Bell?), they lack the quality control mechanisms to see it.

No learning. And the system seems to me to be almost as broken as it was during the LML days. Arena Bell has surrounded herself now with some more tenured/experienced bona fide writers (and I guess that will help with better first drafts), but as long as the script editing/continuity/history remains so awful, and the show remains misguided about stories that are not working (Ana/Tyra, Lily/Cane), the show is terribly damaged.

Yes, yes yes. To me there is an OBVIOUS answer. Pair an old person with fresh blood, and control their power (make them balance). Set in motion simple organizational practices that promote good communication. You're in the gravy! Nobody does this. Too obvious?

Remember when Hogan Sheffer was first appointed HW at ATWT. Or Lucky Gold at GL. And we all said "huh??" These people came out of the blue. Hogan, at first, was TRUE fresh blood and reinvigorated his show. Lucky...not so much.

But what we need, maybe, is the EP equivalent of a brand-new (to soaps) Hogan Sheffer. And then that person needs to be paired with a knowledgeable EP (a Jack Smith or David Shaughnessy, say). And they MUST work together.

Total non-sequitur, but I'm gonna float another one here :). Lauralee Bell. Seriously.

• Members

Awwww! Look at your Liz Hendrickson banner! LOVE HER! Hated AMC's Maggie, loved AMC's Frankie, love her as Lizzie on IB... have yet to see her fully as "Chloe" but I truly do think she's an underrated actress. Just my opinion. She's fabulous at comedy -- perfect for a sitcom.

Archived