Y&R Josh Griffith fired!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What is even more interesting is that it's just when Ed Scott was fired from DAYS.

But Y&R SIMPLY can't have him, I holding onto hope that Scott moves to NYC and takes the reigns at OLTL.

Just to add:SONY read my lips, Keep Paul Rauch far away from Y&R!

• Members

To spite us who are aware of his amateur producing skills and know that this show can achieve better with a producer with years of experience that knows what he/she is doing.

Damn Nelson for giving us that false ray of hope.

If they have no intention of getting rid of Griffith, I think I'm done. I don't how much I can put up with the horrendous execution on that show and the falling production quality.

F-U-C-K YOU Griffith, Bell, Sony, and Bloom!!

I'm pissed... :angry:

• Members

Good God.

Nelson may be melodramatic, but he has yet to post anything that's been an out-and-out lie.

I may be crazy, but I see this as a BLOOM issue. She clearly is incapable of keeping a lid on things. First there was Emmy night, where NUMEROUS sources overheard her talking to other EP's about replacing Josh, and now this. If she wants to get rid of the guy at the end of his contract cycle, the way everybody else is let go, she's REALLY got to find a way to do it in a more subtle manner.

I mean, really... everybody and their brother knows Griffith will be replaced before the year is out, and the poor guy (yes, I'm defending him) has to report to work every day and produce five hours of television a week knowing full well they're planning on firing him... seriously, how can Barbara Bloom even look him in the eye these days?!?!

• Members

I might sound like a bitch, but I have no sympathy for Griffith. He knew from the start he had no producing experience and probably wouldn't make the greatest EP, yet he took the position anyway. He could've just continued as a writer for the show, which he originally was, but he had to stay on as Latham's Co-EP, and then when she was gone, he had the nerve to stay on as EP, without even trying to hire a real Co-EP with sufficient producing experience.

Griffith is a good scriptwriter, he's been mixed as a HW, and he certainly isn't an EP. He's proof to me that one should stick to what they know.

• Members

I totally respect that, but my perspective on Griffith, while based in the same facts you have, is interpreted totally differently.

Griffith was originally hired as A CONSULTANT for LML (I believe... someone correct me if I'm wrong). It was only AFTER LML was made EP (on top of HW) that she assigned Griffith to the job of overseeing daily production from the control room (a job most EP's do already, but LML couldn't because she was head writing).

Do I think he made a LOT of mistakes? HELL YEAH! Going fi-core, micro-managing Maria, taking it upon himself to alter her stories based on the fact that at his core, he's writer... all BAD CALLS. I'm not defending him in that respect.

However, when he originally took over the control room, it wasn't his call. My guess is that he probably got WAAAAAAY too swept up in the power he suddenly attained once the writers' strike hit, and became completely over-confident.

The only way I'm really defending Griffith is that it's not like he wormed his way into this EP position in a greedy power-play. I really believe he was thrust into it at Y&R's worst time by a HW/EP who just didn't understand the show... and Griffith made the mistake of thinking he could succeed where she failed. But the original promotion wasn't Griffith's call. And frankly, from everything I've heard of the Y&R era once Lynn got both titles? It sounds like a clusterf$^k of epic proportions.

I really think he just got swept up in the wake of saving a show everyone agreed needed saving, and then drowning in his own ego. But there's definitely a (possibly very naive) part of me that believes Griffith didn't ask for this... he just got carried away in his own self-importance the way circumstances with the strike played out.

I don't think he's a great EP. And I'm really not defending him (I hope he is gone because he's just not right for that show). I just don't think we can blame him entirely with the way 2007 played out.

*ducking for cover now* :)

• Members

He originally joined Y&R as both a Creative Consultant and Breakdown Writer.

According to Sara A. Bibel's recent blog he was "Lynn Latham’s handpicked lieutenant."

But still one would think that if he didn't know the first thing about being an EP, he wouldn't take a producing offer. I think he could've easily said he had no idea what he was doing and they probably would've hired someone else (whether that person is qualified or not).

Oh I agree, it was Latham's horrendous decisions that caused all the damage. However, I disagree on the power-play part. When Latham left to go on strike, Griffth immediately went Fi-Core, and I'm sure he knew they were planning in firing Latham at some point, and if they did so, he'd be the only EP on the show since he was originally her Co-EP and he knew that if he stayed during the strike he'd get bumped up to main EP status.

I blame 2007 on Latham and 2008 on Griffith. LOL! ;)

No need to, I see your points, even if we disagree on it.

• Members

But here's the thing... I *do* agree with you.

2007 is all LML's fault. 2008 is Josh's fault.

As for why he took the control room duties knowing he was inexperienced? That's an easy answer - $$$$$$. :lol: :lol: I can't blame him. If I had been a head writer of a couple shows in daytime, and someone offered me that kind of money to oversee the control room with a co-EP credit (so the blame wasn't solely on me), I don't know if I would have the foresight to turn it down either. It's not all that different from head writing, except you need to understand how the show's budget works. Otherwise, a control room EP just gives notes to the directors on the scenes taping, which is pretty much what the head writer intended in the breakdowns/scripts.

And I also agree about the fi-core thing. Like I said, I don't blame Griffith for taking the job in the first place. What I *do* blame him for is the power play he made in December, 2007. As much as I was happy LML was gone, that was the WRONG way to do it.

Archived