Y&R Josh Griffith fired!

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Brimike, I'd really love to know what you think of this latest Y&R news...even if it is anticlimactic.

Can Y&R (still floundering, despite a good August start) survive this? ESPECIALLY if they get a "Rauch"? (FYI to others: Rauch is the German word for "smoke"...which is appropriate both for his cigar crushing at the end of SB, and the smoke he'll be blowing up our butts if he gets the job :) ). Or maybe the ashes and cinders he'll leave our show in.

• Members

My thoughts probably go against what everybody else thinks.

I think Griffith messing with the writers is ridiculous and grounds for dismissal, absolutely. If he wanted to be a writer (which he's been his whole career), then don't take the EP position. Stick to writing! You can't have your cake and eat it too.

That being said, I'm not exactly sure why he's so hated by Y&R fans. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a great EP. I think he's a "status quo" EP. For the most part, Y&R retained its look (as opposed to the damage others do when they take over a show), the show came in under budget week after week, and it didn't seem like he was really a cause of controversy amongst the cast and crew. And I feel like even though the last few weeks of Y&R have still been uneven, they're leaps and bounds better than what we got back in March/April. That being said, he certainly didn't work any miracles, or do any great favors for the show. But it's not like firing Griffith is the same as, say, firing Ellen Wheeler at GL. As far as I'm concerned, Y&R fans should be more concerned about the devil they don't know, versus the devil they know. There are new EP's who reinvigorated their show (Scott, Days), EP's who massacre their show (Wheeler, GL), and then there are just people who do their jobs - nothing revolting and nothing revitalized. And to me, that's Griffith.

But that's just my opinion. This is all pretty much a matter of personal taste.

• Members

Griffith and Arena Bell earn my undying loyalty for what they pulled off on 12/26/2007. In a span of DAYS, they restored much of Y&R's trademark production style.

So, what you characterize as "status quo" EP, I say goes a step further. He was mostly able to absorb and implement "classic" Y&R style, even with a clear "modernization" mandate.

I completely agree with you about the "unknown devil". If Rauch is REALLY in the mix, peril lies ahead.

• Members

Well, I hope the next EP comes and his/her vision leads to a revitalization of the show. Y&R has so much dead weight in terms of cast, writers, and storylines that just aren't working. Someone needs to come in and put everything in check. I sense Griffith didn't like doing that. He seemed happy with bad younger actors that had no storyline, storylines that went nowhere, and the million member writing team.

• Members

Hi Mark~

I didn't find ANY change in production style after LML left... Where are the old, beautiful, orchestra musical scores? The lighting still lacks the awesome darkness of the old Y&R. The show is still the best looking on daytime but nothing like the classic Y&R in my opinion...

The sets are still top notch. I love Lily and Cane's new place....

I loved paul Rauch's OLTL- but that was the 80's.

I don't think he would dare mess with Y&R's style- I do like Rauch's taste in background music- but his lighting schemes are THE WORST. With the exception of AW.

I don't think Melody Thomas Scott would appreciate being lit under 100,000 watt 6 foot wide spotlights!!!

• Members

Nor would Jeanne Cooper, after her Emmy speech "High definition or not high definition what can I tell ya it's a bitch isn't it?" it's clear she still values soft lighting.

It's good news that Griffith has been fired and it will be even better news if Shaughnessy is hired. That slag JHC better stay the hell away from Y&R.

• Members

I agree 100%. And the show is UTTERLY boring. Lifeless.

I don't get the excellent reviews for Y&R right now- to me it is absolutely non compelling.

I feel the same way about my other shows OLTL and B&B.

So I don't know sometimes if I have just "grown out" of soaps or what.

There is just nothing compelling or exciting. Hmmm.

• Members

OMG! :o They wouldn't... would they? She was okay as a writer but her EP-ing sucked big time!

Firing DS = Good. (A fan favorite? PUH-LEASE.)

Firing AL = Bad, but at least they found a good replacement.

You better not mean who I think you mean! :o:lol:

Archived