DAYS: Ed Scott FIRED! Gary Tomlin HIRED!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Since he's LA based, his only other options are Y&R or GH. It's very unlikely that Frons will hire him at GH, since ABC EP's don't do much. However, a Y&R return is not out of the question for Scott, but I'm in the minority that thinks he shouldn't go back there after this recent scandal.

He's not going to B&B, so that's entirely out of the question.

• Members

I would definitely prefer Ed Scott over Josh Griffith...frankly, I don't see much to this 'scandal'...he overruled Dena and did it very blatantly, that was his mistake. Bill Bell overruled his writers, Agnes Nixon overruled her writers, Jill Farren Phelps overruled her writers, Wendy Riche overruled her writers...ALL EP's overrule their writers. The problem is the current climate within the WGA, Corday's fear of getting sued and his love for Dena. It's a bad joke.

Ed Scott has a vision, he's an actor's producer and he survived decades with Eric Braeden, that says something.

His chances of going to another soap are 50/50...it's all up to Sony, Y&R could use his presence.

• Members

Just finished the press release:

"Days of Our Lives" co-executive producer Edward J. Scott was relieved of his duties on Friday, August 15, 2008. Scott had been with "Days" since August, 2007. New co-executive producer Gary Tomlin was the co-head writer of "Days of Our Lives" (along with Michelle Poteet-Lisanti) for 256 episodes from October 20, 1980-October 20, 1981. A few events during his tenure included the aging of Hope Williams to a teenager and the arrivals of Renee Dumonde and Jake Kositchek (the Salem Slasher). Tomlin began his career as an actor on such shows as "Search For Tomorrow", "The Waltons" and "Another World". He switched to writing in 1980 with "Days of Our Lives" and later with "Texas", "Search For Tomorrow", "Another World" and "Santa Barbara" (where he won an Emmy in 1989). Tomlin switched to producing in 1995 and had stints at "All My Children", "Sunset Beach" and "One Life to Live" (where he won an Emmy in 2002). From 2003-2008, Tomlin began the next phase of his career, as a director on "Passions." Tomlin, 58, was born March 6, 1950 in Indianapolis, Indiana.

• Members

Dammit, i guess with Corday we all should have known that he would pick Dena over Ed..He sure is !@#$%^&*] whipped by her...I'm pissed that Ed is out, with him Days actually produced some top notch episodes and could have been a contender for an directing emmy..But Tomlin is a better replacement than them bringing back Steve Wyman...

• Members

Gary's a good man, and a better producer than writer. He'd be a decent EP for most shows IMO. But pairing him with Higley, and replacing someone like Ed Scott with him, is downright foolish.

brimike, couldn't you just PM us with the rest?

• Members

Sorry. Not trying to be a d!ck or a tease (or both). Honestly? I don't know what it is. Just that there's more. Frankly, I don't want to know anymore. The whole Days debacle has long since gone beyond "juicy gossip" and just turned into "pathetic train wreck as we watch a legacy show head into oblivion with zero dignity". Are you listening, GL?! :P

• Members

I'm sad to see Scott go, but if what he's being accused of is true, then he needed to be gone, rightfully. That doesn't mean I'm defending Higley. But Scott acted very unprofessional and if that's the reason he got the boot, then it's deserving. And before anyone jumps on me about what Higley did, supposedly scabbing while still a part of the WGA, then she needs to be reprimanded as well.

Gary Tomlin isn't really a bad replacement. He sucked as OLTL's strike head writer, but I've heard he's a pretty decent producer, so maybe he will make the show look better.

Archived