DAYS: Ed Scott FIRED! Gary Tomlin HIRED!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can you say more about this?

Bill Bell stepped down in 1999, right? So, the way I heard it was that there was an increasing control for power between Kay Alden and Ed Scott. In the end, it really flamed out...like when Scott hired Christopher Douglas as Jill Abbott's computer-nerd boyfriend Sean...and Kay Alden didn't like it. She wanted a nerd. Which is why Douglas got fired and replaced by David Lee Russek. Of course, that was forgettable, and I think Russek lasted less than a year, most of it on the backburner.

It was into these skirmishes, I think, I heard that the Bells were asked to pick sides, and ultimately opted for Kay Alden, and Scott was replaced by Shaughnessy.

Obviously, things did not improve, because before too long Brad Bell gave up Jack Smith, and Smith became EP and co-HW at Y&R. Someone else can help get these facts straight, and I never really knew the total chronology and all.

Was it REALLY CBS that got rid of him, or was it the Bells or Sony? And how did he get persuaded to come back?

• Members

Bill Bell stepped down as HW in 1998...Kay Alden had been Co-HW since 1997 and of course had worked at Y&R since 1974. That being said, Bill was still very involved in the writing up until around 2002/2003 when his illness became quite extreme.

Alden and Ed Scott did not get along. They never did. Alden thought Scott should stick to producing, being on set etc etc. Scott disagreed. Things came to conclusion with the Christopher Douglas/David Lee Russek fiasco. Sony asked the Bells who they wanted to fire. The Bells said fire Scott. Scott was fired.

He returned as Supervising Producer in 2004. I don't know what happened with his return. As SP he didn't have the pull he did as EP. It also helped that Alden had less of a role, she was essentially Jack Smith's Co-HW, his worker bee, arguably the job she does best, implementing the ideas of someone else.

For the record CBS has NEVER fired anyone on Y&R. Legally, they have absolutely no right to anything at Y&R. CBS doesn't own Y&R or any soap for that matter. For this reason Bloom does not and will never have the power she craves. The only thing CBS has to do with Y&R is act as it's broadcaster and pay the licensing fee.

Also, it is evident that Scott is more aligned with Sony than the Bells. He survived the LML purge and was sent to DAYS (another Sony interest), Brad Bell, Kay Alden and Jack Smith all dislike Scott.

• Members

WHY??? Why did he have to bring this on himself. He did a better job than any co-exec for our show than any had in recent years....why????

I sat out of the debate during the Higley/Scott/Ali saga because it was all just too much. I love juicy gossip, but in this case I knew it was true....and I just couldn't bring myself to get in on it. Somethings are better left out of the mags and press. I know there are people who disagree and think that all backstage drama should be allowed to permiate into the public domain, but folks, I think it hurts the industry. When the goings on backstage overshaddow what is happening onscreen, and the focus of the viewer becomes transfixed upon who's controlling what, and who is ethical and who's not; trouble ensues and the show ceases to be about the show. Daytime is in enough trouble as it is without tainting fandom with backstage drama. It doesn't increase viewer investment in the show, it just increases the perception that daytime is the Titantic, with the remaining individuals involved in this indistry are playing the violins collectively as she sinks.

Do you not think Ed knew this was coming? I hate that this happened and think that Days will not look as good, or be as good now that he's gone. He encouraged actor creativity and ingenuity. He rose moral by convincing the battle worn cast and crew that a comeback was not just possible, but probable as long as a quality product was placed in front of ther viewers, and that longtime fans could return of they saw the "real" Days again. The show that Ted created, Betty produced, and Bell etched into public conciousness. BUT Ed saw it coming. No matter who his firends were in this business, he had broken the rules and handed the power back to Ken Corday. He didn't just condone over throwing Higley (Daytime's worst headwriter at the moment, and will share the blame when Days is finally not renewed next year with her bedfellow Ken), he participated, and in some instances intiated what was in his eyes an important step in establishing a decent watchable story. In truth he violated ethical rules. In his eyes, he was trying to save the show from the most poisonous pen in exisistance ( atleast currently). This allowed Ken to have a case to get rid of him. Ken is a very, very, very jealous person, and doesn't like it when anyone is viewed as more talented than himself. This entire mess was like a present in ken's lap, just waiting to be unwrapped. He must have been like a giddy mid on Christmas morning. Sure, he likes Higley (since she acts like Ken hung the moon and sings his praise like a soprano in a church choir). But this was more about an opportunity to rid himself of a better answer to his messed up, unrecognizable show.

So, we get Tomlin......might as well have Wyman. Actually, Wyman may be better. In any case, Days will not be as good, Higley will now destry it, and Corday will go down with the ship.

Archived