DAYS: Ed Scott FIRED! Gary Tomlin HIRED!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't drink, but you know what? Make mine a double.

Folks, this is BAAAAAAD. Forget that this means Dena stays and that ES won't, and just consider the fact that all the marvelous improvements ES has made to the production - not to mention, the people he brought with him to work there - could, and probably will, be gone very shortly.

And you thought SUNSET BEACH was finished. ;)

• Members

His version of camp on OLTL was brilliant. And, I don't mean playing it as if it's camp. I mean playing it outright as straight material. At one point it was a strong poing of DAYS. It's a delicate but important line. Tomlin gave OLTL a sense of humor, but also ran herd over some good house-cleaning & winding up.

• Members

This is good and bad news.

The Good:

No more of Tomlin and his piss poor scripts at One Life!

Hopefully a return of the directors and other crew members who need to be at Y&R

The Bad:

A return of the directors and other crew members Scott brought to Days to Y&R

Campy over-the-top stories that'll make even JER say WTF!

Plot-driven, out-of-character stories

And this must have been in the works for awhile because why would they fire Ed, and announce his replacement in the same press release?

• Members

One thing that has to be important, if you ask me, is if it is true that Scott in any way left DAYS more vulnerable to the WGA. Of course, if he did, I don't like that. But, even if I did justify what he did, the show doesn't need to just break more & more rules.

On the other hand, I want the show to make enough money to make recompense to the unjustly fired writers.

Just so they don't bring Wyman back ...

• Members

Tomlin might be a little too camp for the average soap, but barring Passions, not like DAYS wasn't a little too camp than the average soap for a good 15 years or so.

Tomlin has tried lots of innovative things at both SuBe and OLTL. Like those special location shoots, special themed episodes, live week, etc.

Initially outside of the production, I never felt Ed Scott had that must sway in the creative content of the show. Since we know he's been rewriting Dena's stuff for a few months, honestly, is this a big loss in the grand scheme of things? 2008 hasn't exactly been a creative resurgence for DAYS, and as much as Higley has a lot of the blame for that, so does Scott. Some might say DAYS has improved recently, but come on, did we all seriously expect that to last? I have serious doubt that outside of a few production elements, the average viewer will even notice much about the Scott to Tomlin transition.

• Members

I bet Tomlin can't wait to force Christopher Whitesell on DAYS. <_<

When Tomlin EP-ed both SuBe and OLTL, Whitesell was Co-HW.

I heard he fought hard to have Whitesell at OLTL too, Felicia Minei Behr probably wanted to give the job to Lorraine Broderick alone, but some last minute compromise was reached and Whitesell and Broderick were named Co-HW's.

• Members

Don't know about Dena, but people on other board are trying to assure us that the upcoming news will be Y&R-related.

What the heck is so special in Whitesell that Tomlin wants him there? I didn't hear much good stuff about Whitesell.

• Members

No she didn't. Her HUSBAND did, and he was "writing" for DOOL during the strike. There was some article during the stirke, that quoted an DOOL actor (can't remember who) praising the new female head writer. And none of the fi-core DOOL strike writers were female. Also Dena was named head writer, what? Less than a week after the strike?

ETA: Going WGA fi-core, doesn't kick you out of the WGA. It only makes you permanently ineligible to vote and hold office in the guild. If you are a WGA member and write/scab during a strike without formally going fi-core however, you are removed from the guild for life, and the other unions: SAG/AFTRA and the members of IATSE, the union of professional stagehands, motion picture technicans, and allied crafts guilds - Direction, camera, etc. must honor the WGA and cannot work with that writer's scripts. If she is found to have scabbed, she will be finished at all networks.

Archived