Flamingo Road

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I caught a rerun of this show like 10 years ago on a local station. While it wasn't the strongest primetime soap by far, the stetting was intriguing and Morgan Fairchild made for great TV. Mark Harmon really showed that he had lots of potential. The writing was kinda so-so (the Voodoo stuff was one of a kind), but overall the show held my attention for its entire run.

Edited by sheilaforever

• Members

This series, from Lorimar (which also produced Dallas, Knot's Landing, Flamingo Road) aired on NBC and had an extremely good cast.  It was a primetime serial typical of those of the era it aired.  I am thinking that it was set in the past, but that may not be right.  It should have aired longer than it did, but there were so many primetime serials airing during that time that I guess the competition was too much.   CBS and ABC had successful shows of this kind, but NBC , although it made several attempts, never had a huge success.   (Similar to the NBC soap operas of the 1950s).

• Members

If I could choose a Morgan Fairchild project to see all over again, my first choice would be to see her as Racine in PAPER DOLLS. No last name, just Racine. She has the finest collection of character names as anyone! Lady Pretensia, Muffy Snootwell, Sister Fabrijana Zovko, THE CITY's top bitch Sydney Chase, Cmdr. Sigrid Ivorsletter, Irmguard Hoelz, Valerie St. Vincent, Satin Chow, Magenta Hart, Rayshu Shay, Burdetta Halloran, the aforementioned Racine, Constance Weldon Semple Carlyle, Gwendolyne Gold, Courtney Vandermint, on GH in 2022 a real bitch Haven de Havilland, Vivienne St. Charmaine, DOOL's Angelica Deveraux, Betheny Baxter, Bianca Cliverton, Big Kimberly, Dr. Honey Woodcomb, Claire Lochton, and last Cossima Blair Babylonio.

• Members

Thanks DC for that critique always enjoy your insights. I stuck with FR through its run but it never seemed to bring everything together. I thought season 2 was an improvement and maybe it would have taken off in Season3.

The timeslot was the best place for it but a strong lead in was necessary. NBC was in the ratings doldrums at that point and there were precious few hits that could have boosted FR.

The motivations and depth to the characters was lacking. I found Christina Raines to be a little bland. Kevin McCarthy I couldn't take to and Howard Duff was a caricature. 

One thing that bothered me was the characters names. It just felt weird to have a Claude, Eudora, Fielding, Lute Mae, Elmo, Skipper and Lane -not really names that were relatable.

• Members

@danflingThe aesthetic is definitely old fashioned even though its set in the 1980s. Truro is a relic from the past with very old rules determining how people operate. In the pilot film, this is contrasted a bit with Sam Curtis, who's morals were more modern and who spent time in cities like Miami. The old fashioned names that @Paul Ravenmentioned are also part of the aesthetic. I think it could have worked, but there need to be more contrast with outsiders who didn't accept the old fashioned ways. 

@MichaelGLI've only seen bits and pieces of Rita Lakin's work on "The Doctors." There are some ideas that seem very Lakin, but aren't always executed as well as Lakin did in daytime. Some people really love the first season. I don't think it was terrible. 

I'm two episodes into season 2. The opener is pretty strong. It was nice to see the cast interacting as much as they did with Constance in the hospital. I do find that story, Constance's paralysis, compelling because it impacts not just Field's career but Constance's life. I sort of wish this effort had been put into the car accident story the prior season with Christie Kovacs. The chapel scene between Lute Mae and Claude with Eudora listening in the wings was delightful. I also enjoyed the relationship between Eudora and Lute Mae in the aftermath with Eudora being grateful that Lute Mae offered her the opportunity to have raise Constance. I felt that was a great approach. Lute Mae dropping the bomb of Constance's maternity on Lane and Sam was great, but I wish more was done with that. 

I liked the dynamic between Titus and Constance. Morgan Fairchild definitely is given a stronger point of view this season so far. She seems to have more agency. I like her having control of her marriage and for her to be a poltiical mover and shaker in her own way. Mark Harmon has sorta settled into the role of Field as an entitled man who's whole life has been dictated by others. 

I also noticed there was no follow through on the Slade/Harrison Brandt story for which I was thankful. Such an bad story. I have been disappointed we haven't had much Eudora/Elmo, but that one night was suppose to be just one night. 

Episode 2 of season 2 provides a story that seems to fit into season one a bit more. The show introduces the wealthy Hunter family of Flamingo Road with Robert Rockwell (I think he was one of Jo's beaus on SFT) as the father and Sharon Acker (Judith on TEX and on Lakin's previous project "Executive Suite") as the mother. Peter Horton gives a pretty memorable performance as their son who rapes Lute Mae and gets away with it (at least initally). There are some nice sequences with Stella Stevens and Joel Bailey. I'm surprised that I'm enjoying Tony as much as I am with Lute Mae. Not sure how long that lasts. 

Looking forward to the arrival of the Sanchez family and Michael Tyrone.

• Members

In Season Two, I thought they took the voodoo storyline too far -- beyond believable.  And with the Season Two cliffhanger, how were they going to write themselves out of that??  It was just too supernatural to be explained away, and take the show back to believability.  Just my opinion, of course.   

• Members

Considering the third season bible supposedly contained zombies it seems like they were going all in on the supernatural, perhaps hoping to attract Dark Shadows viewers since it was finding a renewed popularity in syndication at that time.

• Members

I think Mark Harmon aka Field was the weak link.  It is hard to know if it was how the character was written or portrayed, but Field lacked the charisma to be believable as the obsession of two women.  Unlike Bobby Ewing, who exuded sex appeal and compassion, Field was sort of cold, never as bright as his antagonists, and lacked cunning.  For a guy who supposedly stayed in his loveless marriage for political gain, he never appeared that ambitious and his plans for the Cuban part of town seemed both ill-conceived and unmotivated.  

It doesn't help that Woody was also a total dud and the Job of the family (biblicaly, not an Arrested Development reference).  Sam was bit more interesting.  But, none of the good guys stood a chance against Michael, Titus and Weldon. The female cast was so strong that having vanilla romantic male leads was a huge disappointment.

The blog post from producer Jeff Freilich mentioned in the wiki is oddly ambiguous to me.

Flamingo Road finished the 1981-82 season ranked No. 68 out of 105 programs on the air in prime time. Flamingo Road was therefore canceled. Initially, the network decided to run the weekly drama as a daytime soap opera. But that plan, however, did not come to pass.

Does he mean that it was initially developed for daytime or that there were plans for a daytime version after the primetime version was cancelled? The second interpretation seems unlikely because why would Mark Harmon, Morgan Fairchild, David Selby, and John Beck be interested in doing daytime, given that their primetime careers were going strong at the time.  And re-casting all of the primary roles would ruin the appeal.

That being said, it amuses me that Bravo's Mexican Dynasties starring Fernando Allende is sort of the sequel to Flamingo Road that nobody expected.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I'm towards the middle of season 2. 

I thought the addition of the Sanchez family was smarter even though the execution is not amazing, but this seems to be a universal issue on the show. I think we are suppose to see Julio Sanchez as a hot head for blaming Sam Curtis for Ernesto's death, but Sam was wrong. Sam chose to worry about the bottom line rather than his employees and I don't think Julio was wrong for that. Lupe's initial conversations with Eudora and Constance about the dress shop were very interesting. I doubt they go anywhere, but I feel like that would have been an interesting place to explore. 

The idea of introducing the Cuban element into "Flamingo Road" was intriguing even though the writers went with the most stereotypical route with so much of the storytelling elements there. I like that the ownership of the barrio was a big deal and the fact that the Weldons were slumlords was presented as problematic. I just wish more time was spent on the positive elements of the barrio given how toxic the relationships were in the Weldon realm. 

Alicia and Skipper are sweet, but underdeveloped. A C-story at best with very little movement, which is a shame because I think there were places to explore with Skipper. I would have liked more of a reaction on his end to Field, Skipper's father's "preferred" son, taking over the mill.  Also, given Skipper's rowdy backstory with his time at Lute Mae's, I imagine the more reserved Alicia might not pleased about Skipper's former playboy ways. 

I like Julio. Fernando Allende is very attractive. Maybe not the strongest actor in the group, but more competent than I been informed. I like that Julio, not Constance, is the one who has reservations about having an affair. I thought that was a very nice flip on the stand point and also worked a bit to go around the Latin Lover trope. Eudora suggesting Julio to be Field's aide is wonderful. 

Speaking of Constance's lovers, I thought Steve was fine, but I feel like the scope of Steve's arc ended up playing out several episodes later with Tony and Lute Mae. If they were going to do that, it would have been nice to at least intersect the stories. 

Constance has come into her own this season. Morgan Fairchild benefitted the most from the second season from what I've seen so far. Everyone else seems to be struggling in the new world of not as interesting. I can see why season one is preferred by some as the characters were better drawn in season one, but there was no story. Now, we have story, but the characters are pretty paper thin unless we need a good mid episode plot twist. 

Lane and Sam are coming back into focus. Separating them from Field was good in a sense (I don't feel the triangle had much mileage left in it), but I don't think TPTB know what to do with Lane and Sam. Lane's father was a brief beat, and her music career had some promise (but that was also dropped). Sam and Tyrone are initial the main enemies before Tyrone settles in on the Weldons. 

Michael Tyrone has been a major mover and shaker. I don't know where season 2 would have went without him. I like his plans for the resort and how they would impact the community of Truro from those on Flamingo Road to those living in the barrio. I do wonder at what point his backstory in Truro was developed because I don't get that sense at all that he is a man returning specifically to town. I like how he has his hands in everything, which really does help. 

With Michael around, I feel Titus has even less purpose and I am much happier with him in a reduced role. Similarly, I do enjoy that Michael shows how inept Claude Weldon is in so many ways. I like how Claude's forgery led to Michael stealing the mill from the Weldons only to turn it over to Field, which was such a fun move. 

Elmo's run for sheriff was a fun surprise and the story about his wife was very sad. I wish Elmo and Eudora appeared more often together. I did appreciate the Claude / Lute Mae scene during Claude's downfall leading to both the Lute Mae / Constance / Eudora scene and the Claude nearly spilling the beans to Constance scene. Constance's paternity is such a labyrinth plot that could even be more far reaching if they would allow characters to react to the news. 

Tony's final stand was disappointing in terms of the character's arc. I guess the Tony that left town reminded me of the Tony that showed up with Christie in season one, but it was rather disappointing. I think Tyrone should have brought Christie back to town to mess with Field. 

Field and Sande's affair is a non-factor to me because of how it developed in comparison to Julio / Constance. Sande seems to be the new Lane, which is fine with me. 

I'm curious to see how the season ends. 

• Members

NBC announced plans for Flamingo Road to be revamped into a daytime serial in the 3pm slot.

May 82

The disappointment over the daytime schedule was reflected during the affiliate meeting with the network by one representative who inquired about development plans there. The network's answer was that several serials are in development, based variously on  Flamingo Road,Scruples, Bell Book & Candle, a supernatural theme, and "glossy magazine" setting.

Obviously a lot of the roles would have to have been recast which, as you say,would have diluted the appeal. Maybe Barbara Rush, Stella Stevens, Woody Brown might have been persuaded to continue but I can't see the rest of the cast doing a daytime soap.

• Members

Constance and Field's marriage works better this second season than it did in the first. Constance is more active in the story, and Field is no longer being given a sympathetic light. Their "War of Roses" style relationship is a real highlight. It does come at the cost of Sam and Lane. They feel very disjointed in terms of the rest of the story. When they have stories cross in Tallahassee, I almost forget how strong the Lane and Field story was at the start of season 1 and that they even planned on getting married. 

Was it mentioned in the pilot or season 1 that Field was a lawyer? Or was that a sudden revelation. It works, but it just seems very sudden. The Julio railroading story was good and that worked well especially with Field asking him about the affair. I enjoy Julio much more than I expected. He truly cares for Constance, and I think (secretly) Constance loves him too. Right now, Julio has delivered the goods to Constance: Sande and Field are having an affair. The one upmanship in Field and Constance's marriage makes me want them together even though I really like Julio and Constance.

The bombing gave Skipper more story. I feel like he is back in the thick of things. A blinded Skipper gives season 1 Skipper vibes, which I liked. Alicia is a sweet girl and I wish they had done a better job building Alicia and Skipper as a couple because there are interesting angles to explore. I am really mad that the bombing at the Clarion hasn't led to the unveiling of Claude and Titus being behind the paper mill fire. Eudora's coddling of Skipper annoyed me until Eudora explained her rationale, which I was willing to play along with. I don't like the direction Eudora has taken in these post- sanitarium episodes. I was hoping for a stronger Eudora working with Sam on the barrio project, but that's mostly been an abandoned plot point. 

Elmo is also rejuvenated a bit by the Clarion bombing as he seems more central to the story again. The Eudora and Elmo scenes were a little thin for me as I would have liked a little more subtext. I guess I'll have to take what I can get. 

Michael Tyrone's backstory seems to be finally underway. I wonder at what point it was decided he was going to have history in Truro because that feels like a last minute change. The show is very plot heavy so it's not too surprising. 

I'm liking Lute Mae and Michael a lot more than I expected. I also loved Claude using his history with Lute Mae to get to Tyrone, which just shows how sh%tty a person Claude is. Lute Mae being wined and dined is great as we have seen how Michael (like Titus) manipulates others for his purpose. I do like the revived Michael / Sam animosity as it brings Sam and Lane back into the story. 

I really liked Sam and Lane's wedding. Their engagement was quick. The fact that Julio was best man after Julio's entrance story shows how out of touch Sam and Lane were with the rest of the canvas. I appreciate they brought Carl Turner back for the bachelor party. I thought the film was going to turn out to be something Lute Mae had starred in. 

Cynthia Sikes is very attractive in the role of Sande Swanson. I like how they haven't completely revealed the entire connection yet. I'm curious to see where the Michael / Sande stuff goes based on the broad outline I've read of the story. 

I feel like mid-season 2, the show is coming together well in a very plot driven sense, but it lacks the season one dynamics and characterization that made that memorable. As of now, though, I'd still say I prefer season 2. 

• Members

I'm rounding into the final stretch, and I do think season 2 comes together quite nicely by the time we get to "The Dedication." It took over half the season, but the show finally seems to have pulled itself together and found an identity for itself. The initial concept presented in the telefilm about the tension between those on Flamingo Road and those not on Flamingo Road with the have nots looking to move up has been replaced with a pursuit of remaining on Flamingo Road and becoming top dog. There is a lot more establishing shots lately of the eponymous address and the named sprinkled more into the dialogue. In some ways, the show's shift reminds me of the Aussie soap "Chances" that started out very low key before becoming a complete plot driven camp masterpiece. "Flamingo Road," at its best, is the power struggles between all those who have some semblance of power and are looking to maintain it or increase it.

What's fascinating to me is how the Weldons, the central family, are slowly descending into this thick Southern gothicness, but never quite embracing the dyanmic. Queeny Claude has the facade of power with the family name and no real tangible control of anything in his life. His children are defiant and make their own choices and his son-in-law has seized control of his family's business. All his hopes are tied up in Michael Tyrone's plans to turn Truro into some sort of Southern gambling mecca, which would pretty much destroy the town his family has built up. Eudora's knows this is a fools errand, but no one seems to be listening. Claude scheming with Titus, who works much better now as a poor man's Lord Varys, is now fun in a bizarre Greek chorus way. Neither has any real power, not with Michael Tyrone in town. 

Michael really has taken control of the narrative, in a good way. Constance has shifted her Electra complex towards Michael Tyrone, her biological mother's love interest. Also, and this hasn't been completely revealed in story yet, but I believe Michael's father and Lute Mae were involved which gives the Michael-Lute Mae-Constance story even more layers. This is a story that I would have wanted to see play out well into season 3. 

The gambling bill arc has really pulled together the lose threads and now has created a much more cohesive canvas. The cast seems much more integrated now that Sam has been brought back into the Michael Tyrone plot. The decision to pair up Sam and Field as allies is probably one of my favorite moves of the season, among so many strong decisions. The constant shifting dynamics is fun to watch in binges, but I wonder how easy it was to follow week after week, which is something I think @All My Shadows stated years ago. Sam realizing the connection between Sande and Tyrone was great and her faux suicide attempt was a wonderful plot to prevent Field from pulling the bill. Sam and Field, together, against Tyrone is more interesting than when they each had their separate issues with Tyrone. The building tension between Lane and Field, which may be imagined on my part, is delicious.

I wish they had left Sam for dead in the crash so that Lane could have briefly played the vengeful widow and had to control Sam's business interests at least briefly. Also, I would have brought Vanessa, Sam's first wife, and had her team up with Lane to enact some sort of revenge. When Sam did return, I would have had Lane and Field close and probably given Sam amnesia. After having no real use for the Sam / Lane / Field triangle, I am again intrigued by the possibilities. It might have been great for the season 2 final to have been Field believing Michael had faked his death and dragged down to the Nassau estate to find not Michael, but Sam alive and well. 

I was sorry to see Julio and Constance split, but, in terms of the big story, it makes sense. Constance has racked up three different love affairs this season Steve (her therapist), Julio, and Michael. I'm not even 100% sure where we are suppose to think she stands on Field anymore. Season one Constance definitely wanted power, but loved Field. I think season 2 Constance is too hard to love Field, and just wants the potential power that comes from being with him. There are times I think she cares for Julio, but other times I think Julio is pursuing emotional disaster by waiting for Constance. I do wish they had played the Sande / Julio relationship beat rather than just using the potential as a problem. Even if the relationship was just friendly, I think there was at least an episode or two of story to play with those two. 

Michael's double of Sande after the suicide attempt was a real shocker. Sande on the island in Nassau was also a nice surprise even if we didn't see her. The Nassau sequence kicks off the voodoo storyline that I believe is pretty prevalent in the final episodes. Esther Rolle's Julia Porter, Michael's nanny / voodoo priestess, is definitely a shift. If there was a season 3, I would have loved to see her moved to Michael's property on Flamingo Road and watch how people reacted to her presence. 

I'd wish they'd use Elmo more. I see him as the keeper of the town's truth among so many people who are lying and scheming. I think they could have flirted with a romantic relationship with Lupe Sanchez by the end of the season. Something to revive the Elmo / Eudora story and to solidify the Sanchez family as a prominent presence on the show. I think it would have also helped to revive the Elmo/Skipper relationship which seems very underplayed this season. 

As I enter the final stretch, I can see why people prefer season one. The writing was more character driven and the original premise of the haves and the havenots of Truro was intriguing, if never fully met. I do think the relationships were deeper, the characterization was richer, but the plot was weak and, at times, non-existent. After watching the entire show, I'll be curious to see what I think of season one on a rewatch, but for now, I am really enjoying the power plays of season two.