Flamingo Road

• Members

In Season 2 FL finished in 68th position. Hart to Hart was 16th and CBS Tuesday movie was 69th.

For part of the season FL was moved to 9pm where it faced Three's Company  4th.                                                                                                          

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Wow. Finished season 2. I've heard people over the years speak about the voodoo/occult stuff in season 2, but I don't think I ever realized how far they were leaning into it in those last few episodes. I believe in 1982 "Dark Shadows" had just been re-syndicated and was airing in the late afternoon on many NBC affiliates. I wonder if NBC's interest in a daytime version of "Flamingo Road" had anything to do with that piece of the puzzle. 

The final episodes are insane. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. There are things I adore (Michael tormenting Titus, who've I hated from day 1) is fun. While I understand the conceit of having David Selby play Michael's father, Tom Edwards, everyone looks dumb as hell for not being able to recognize Michael as Tom's son when he is literally a doppleganger. Had they not done so much with the Sande angle, I almost wonder if they would have revealed that Michael was in fact his own father who had just continued to live on and on. 

I really liked the situation with Field, Lane, and Sam. It was a very interesting place to end this grouping with a disgraced Field resigning from the senate and basically siding with Sam over Tyrone and over Titus. Lane carrying Sam's child gave that couple a happy ending that I feel they really deserved after having such a tough time finding story for the first part of the season. I wonder what they would have done with this grouping had it continued into season 3. I also wish they had played the reveal more of Field learning Lute Mae was Constance's mother and having a hint of a reconcilliation between Constance and Field as Julio emerges as the new heavy. 

Julio's fate was intriguing as it set the character up for the next season, though I do have to wonder how he would have fared given the direction of the show. I did like that after all of Constance's attempts to push Julio off, it was finally his turn to emerge with the sort of bravado she was looking for. I definitely could see a season 3 storyline having Sam dead or offscreen for a bit with Lane and Julio (with Constance's pressure) fighting to control the construction company. 

The defeat of the gambling bill by the people of Truro was interesting. The whole apocolyptical feel of the entire show at this point was kind of fun with all the sins of the father and good vs. evil stuff that the voodoo stuff sort of fits, but also sort of feels excessive. 

Constance learning her mother was Lute Mae was great. Her rejection of Claude was probably one of my favorite moments for Claude though I was a bit perturbed when they mentioned that Lute Mae had Constance at 16 and Claude was already married to Eudora. I don't know what the age gap was suppose to be, but it was just a surprising little detail. Constance visiting Lute Mae at the asylum was good. The secret that had been set up in the pilot film was finally revealed. 

Initially, I felt there was no way they were going to actually go with Skipper as potentially Elmo's son as season one Eudora was so pure and innocent. By the end of season 2, I definitely think they would have undone the paternity of Skipper had the show continued. I liked Barbara Rush going against David Selby. I also love that Eudora assumed Claude must be the killer and dumped him in the final moments of season two. I will live in a world where Eudora and Elmo reunited. 

I think something season 2 did much better than season 1 was establishing Flamingo Road as a place much better. I liked that when Michael ends up dead that the Weldons saunter over and that Lane and Sam are close enough by to be drawn into the drama. This is certainly no "Knot's Landing," but I liked where the show ended up in that sense. With that said, I felt it was sad that we lost Lute Mae's. I don't even know when they last showed the brothel. It was also nice to finally go into the swamp with the Titus / Julia Porter sequence. 

Michael in the monastery was just such a crazy ending. 

Season 3 would have been interesting to see. I'm also curious how a daytime version would have played out. Who do people see playing some of the roles that most likely would have been recast (Field, Lane, Constance, etc.) in a daytime version?

• Members

The first person who came to mind is Kim Zimmer, although I feel like playing Constance would have been a been there, done that kind of gig for her.

Assuming that David Selby would have left for Falcon Crest, what about Michael Zaslow as the daytime Tyrone?

• Members

I can see Stella Stevens staying on as she did daytime a few years later. maybe Barbara Rush but really no one else. 

I think they would have gone with a mixture of available daytime names and primetime people who were no longer A list and would give daytime a try.

How about Robin Eisenman as Constance? She had already played Jennifer on SFT before Morgan. I'll have to do some more thinking. 

Betsy von Furstenburg as Eudora?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm Working on Getting It, As Well as Working On Getting Berrenger's, Bare Essence, Glitter, The Yellow Rose, Knots Landing, Dynasty, Falcon Crest, Paper Dolls, The Colbys, Hotel and Filthy Rich (1982), But FR I'm Pretty Near Of, So I'll let You know, Not Sure If I'll Post The Full Episodes Or Clips though that depends on Copyrights

Love the Two last ones lol 

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Re The Fun Fact,

Flamingo Road did not do well in the ratings. By the end of the second season it was in the bottom half of all shows and showing no signs of life.

It was renewed for the second season because:

a) they knew soaps took time to build

b) NBC wanted a primetime soap at a time when they were taking off and getting a lot of media attention

c) they were 3rd in the ratings and didn't have a lot of hit shows 

d)it  may have and probably did have good ratings in the desired W18-34 demo

It's annoying when these tweets and such are put  out and misinformation is spread.

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Yeah, Flamingo Road did "middling" ratings at best in its first season, the second season unfortunately pretty much bombed. Since they did consider for a brief moment of turning it into a daytime soap I could see it doing well in female demographics.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

To me, the problem with Flamingo Road was that it was on the wrong network.  Mama's Family had the same problem later on and it did not become successful it went to first run syndication.  Back to FR, it looked and felt like a CBS show, but it was on NBC.  If it had aired on CBS after Dallas instead of Falcon Crest, it would have lasted at least 7 or 8 seasons.  For some reason, southern style shows perform better on CBS than on NBC.  In the Heat of the Night is an exception, and even that migrated to CBS for its final season.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Re-watching it now and I realised that the setting is a huge issue for the show as in it's not distinct enough. Besides obviously filming in California, when Lane at the end of the pilot does some dramatic speech about how she'll one day live on Flamingo Road it's like... okay, why? There's the Weldon's house and I guess Titus'? In all honesty, LiliMae's house seems really nice. They needed to do more to sell the angle of "bad part of Truro" vs the "good part of Truro", but even then it's hard to imagine that a character would be desperate to live in any part of Truro, especially once she gets a multi-millionaire boyfriend.