Flamingo Road

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I would have totally watched them together on that night! Even if the LHOTP was full of Laura and Almanzo mush.

I wonder how FR would have faired if paired up with Little House. LH was without a doubt NBC's biggest hit at the time, even if it was winding down. If they'd moved Flamingo Road to Mondays in January 1982, maybe it could have been granted another season.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for a DVD release.

• Members

That is too funny. That would have been like The Waltons being on in the time slot immediately before Falcon Crest (but then, both shows were owned by Lorimar and created by Earl Hamner, so maybe it's not that bizarre after all, LOL). Hey, I personally loved the Laura/Manly "mush" and think Dean Butler could have really made a splash had he gone on to a primetime (or even a daytime) soap. (He is still mighty good-looking for a man in his late 50s, by the way!!)

Speaking of LH and FR - true story: I went to the Little House Reunion & Western Film Festival that was held in Tombstone, AZ, in the summer of 2005. Stella Stevens was the first of the actors to be introduced (as they introduced the non-LH actors first) and on her way up to the dais she tripped and nearly fell flat on her face. Thankfully, she was rescued by a few of the fans dressed in cowboy garb who caught her before she could fall. Ms. Stevens had a good sense of humor about it, though. She came across as a very happy, spunky lady.

• Members

Absolutely. In regards to Morgan, it seemed like a true personality clash, whereas Filerman was just awful.

Interesting how the writer characterized the first season as Lane-focused and the second season as Constance-focused. It's been over ten years since I've seen the show, but I honestly don't remember it feeling focused on either woman more than the other. The first season was especially balanced.

• Members

Thanks!!! I'm gonna jump right into it as soon as I can. I never did get to see the last three or four episodes.

Just skimming through some of the eps, I'm reminded of how lush and beautiful the music was. IMO, all of the primetime soaps of the time had great, great music, but FR's roots as a 40s movie are definitely reflected in its melodramatic scores.

Edited by All My Shadows

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Rita Lakin's Flamingo Road is worth watching. I've only had time for an episode or two a week, but I am truly enjoying the show. Howard Duff, Stella Stevens, Mark Harmon, Morgan Fairchild...what more could a soap fan want?

I'm only up to episode 4[just finished], but I didn't expect it to be this entertaining. There aren't more than 30 or so episodes, and I strongly recommend 80s primetime soap fans to give it a shot.