Y&R: Week of July 21, 2008

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Shesh, I've defended her more or less from day one. :P Though mostly for the actress' sake: I really like Raya Medine.

Summer is still so Nick&Phyllis child. It's totally unfair but I find her as ugly as her parents' love fest is. Still don't like Phyllis again BTW - find her as atrocious as under LML's pen.

• Members

I concur. Johmson and Sayegh are two of the best directors the show has. Sally McDonald is still good, but Dean LaMont disappoints me (even more so because he is pretty old school Y&R) and the others I can take or leave (though Andrew Lee did well with the 'article' episode last week).

Anyway, Tuesday's episode was good. Different people have different pieces of information on Chow and Walter, and it should be good when it all comes together. These past two weeks have been top-quality. Keep it up and keep improving.

As for JackPeyton's comments re: Sheffer. Let's bloody well hope so.

• Members

I highly doubt it and it would come out of left field since Michael has not been part of this story at all and he hasn't even mentioned his father in a month. His father story was put on backburner as soon as it started up again, probably to wrap up the David story. Supposedly they are hiring a name for Lowell Baldwin and we will finally get a Michael story in August. I will believe it when I see it.

• Members

Oh, I'm sure that the storyline won't go that way, it was just funny speculation. But I'd like to know who is Walter's boss. Will it be some unknown and never seen character, or someone we know?

• Members

I thought the Amber/Daniel Loveline phone call was halarious! These two totally deserve each other. For some reason I'm not all that invested in the David Chow storyplot, he just seems boring to me. Get him off the canvas so that Nikki can be with Victor. Same goes for Sabrina. I like how she's finally fighting with the Newman family but really don't care about her either.

• Members

OK, I just saw the "Sudden Impact" promo advertised on E! network. I can't believe CBS has gotten a competing cable network to run this promo and it even said to tune into CBS!

I've also heard that the promo was shown a few times in primetime on CBS, I don't know how true that is though.

A huge part of me hopes this event is a ratings disaster to teach them a lesson though. I hate hype and that's the last thing they should be doing.

• Members

Well at least they are promoting it. But on E network?? I like the primetime promos. They should have aired the event during primetime like they use to. I still think they are relying to much on this big event to bring back viewers. Good storytelling will bring back fans.

• Members

Promotion is great. I agree same-network Primetime is an important place to promote. I'd especially like to see it promoted during their Swingtown drama...which might have a more similar audience.

I'm not so optimistic this will matter, though. Didn't they do TVGuide and People for "Out of the Ashes". Not one lick of extra viewers thanks to that.

Which goes back to my thesis: NOTHING systematic affects weekly ratings :-). Promotion doesn't matter, writing doesn't matter. OVER THE LONG HAUL, if there were consistent ads and consistent good writing, I believe that could incrementally boost ratings. But this kind of one-shot promotion just doesn't work. For soaps, you have to get people in the habit.

But the fanboy in me is hoping and hoping and hoping Y&R hits a 5.0 on Friday :-).

• Members

So far there is nothing on today's show that makes me want to tune in tomorrow. Cane and Lily engaged?...ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Archived