All: The Worst Storyline Ever

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Maryanne Carruthers garbage, (GL)

You know a story is going to be [!@#$%^&*] when the writer can't even remember basic mathematics. 1977 WAS NOT 30 years ago as of 2003!!!

The history was completely made up. Buzz, Josh, and Billy weren't even in Springfield in 1977. Ed had married, suffered alcoholism, made his way up the ranks at the hospital by then. Yet, in this story he was just starting med school. Alan had just moved to Springfield with wife Elizabeth and son Phillip and was more concerned about his wife's growing infatuation with Mike Bauer. So no. Wasn't possible. Not to mention that Josh and Billy were in a completely different age group.

• Members

Hmmm... Roman, your topic is too broad. :)

There's bad story beats, bad storylines, bad decisions made within good stories.

The more I think about it, the more I think Garden of Eden isn't even really a story.

A lot of people said the Unabortion.

I'll go along with that IF we include the larger umbrella story of Greg Madden's Island of Pregnant Women, Buried Alive, and Tad the Psycho Torturer Forgiven By Jesus.

Then I think, beginning to end, that might be the worst storyline ever on daytime.

The Santis were dull and boring, but at least there was some semblance of a three-act structure there. It was just too dominating, and the actor who played Tico was NOT threatening at all.

Marianne Carruthers, again while being a complete travesty of history, held some kind of structure as well. In terms of storytelling, it wasn't a bad story. Just a bad Guiding Light story. (And a complete rip-off of Ghost Story, but that's neither here nor there)

But the Madden saga went from Kendall/baby garbage (Seriously, when did all of these AMC damaged heroines decide motherhood was their be-all/end-all?!) to Stolen Fetuses, to the rewrite of one of daytime's most groundbreaking tales, to a murder mystery where the head writer ADMITTED TO THE PRESS FROM DAY ONE she didn't know who the culprit was, to the show's hero becoming the killer... and then being let off the hook by the DA because Jesus died for our sins.

Man, you can be Pro-Life, a murder-mystery lover, born again Christian, Days fan who loved Vivian burying Carly alive... and you'd STILL be offended by the majority of story points involved there.

I might stand corrected.

• Members

Yeah, then I'm switching to the AMC Madden Saga.

I'd say SSK/Melaswen, but the first three months of SSK was fantastic. So I've got to give it a pass.

Madden was terrible from start to finish. With NO redeeming qualities. Except Josh with his shirt off. But that's not a story decision.

Madden Saga it is.

• Members

Not only that, but it ripped off about three classic GL stories all in one lol.

We had the 1983 Lake Elizabeth mystery where H.B. Lewis, Brandon Spaulding, Bill Bauer, Tom Reardon, and Henry Chamberlin were implicated in the long ago murder of Annabelle Sims' mother during a fishing trip.

We had the Barbados mystery a year later where Susan Piper (played by Carrie Nye, who ALSO played Carrie Carruthers) tried to gaslight Annabelle Sims by moving all the furniture around her new cottage because she was trying to sieze the cottage so that she could sell it to the Spauldings. That story also reintroduced a presumed-dead BRandon Spaulding, who was living with his lover Sharina in Barbados.

And then of course, we have the 1980 epic of Roger Thorpe chasing a pregnant Rita Bauer through the hall of mirrors.

• Members

God, Dan... you're so right. And I remembered the Hall of Mirrors too, but had forgotten the other two. It was just one big plagiarized thesis from beginning to end, wasn't it?

Okay. You win. I'll make it my Number Two. :lol:

• Members

Days - The santeen/brady v dimera fued of 2007.

worst. crap. ever.

yes. worse than the aliens, worse than the posession worse than the SSK & island. worse than garden of eden.

thats is my fave GL story ever.

however, i will not defend it. because as you said ot wasnt a bad story, just a bad gl story - and as Dan said why.

but i loved it. i also had only been watching GL for a few years at that point and didnt know the history do it didnt bother me

• Members

You know, I could have said Garden of Eden, but looking back on it I dont think it bothered me *that* much. There's actually a handful of stories I could have lived without, but you know...it was somewhat watchable. However, the one story that COMPLETELY bothered me rendering it nearly unwatchable was the entire Vendetta storyline. Start to finish it bugged me. I mean, until this story, I never even remembered there being a vendetta other than Stefano's obsession with Marlena. Yet, one scene has him galantly ordering his minions to simply "kill them" without so much as a glance at her. Random rewrites of history appeared to follow throughout. Then it seemed to just get even worse with Santeen, who turned out to be....Ejami lookalikes?? Then it ended with John's two minute reunion with his real mother, the most uneventful plane crash ever, and a host of other rushed and improvised crap I didn't need to experience. I mean, it was just a hot country mess for real.

• Members

Ooh, this is a fun thread.

AMC:

Satin Slayer

The Madden Saga

Libidozone

OLTL:

Antonio/Keri's sperm story

Flash

Blair accuses Todd of rape, Marty testifies on his behalf

The Music Box Murders

GH: