Unpopular Opinions

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OLTL:

- I hate Todd. I've always hated Todd. And not in a "love to hate" way either. I feel he needs to die permanently in a huge and interesting whodunnit.

- Kassie Depaiva is NOT a good actress and never has been.

- Starr and Cole bore the [!@#$%^&*] out of me.

- Jerry verDorn is not Clint to me. I see the man on screen and I think of how lonely GL's Blake must be right now.

- Ron Carlivati hasn't proven himself to me, unlike many others. I would like to see if the man can plot a longterm story before I see how talented he is.

- I don't see the amazing talent of Rex. And Farah Fath's voice has given me dry heaves since her tenure on DAYS.

- Marcie pisses me off too. Ditto Bo.

-The dialogue on this show truly sucks at times.

• Members

Re. Erika Slezak

Honestly, I wasn't a fan of this actress again until Ron Carlivati got his hands on her. I loved the Viki in Paris, Texas storyline, and it showed a much more softer side of Slezak, a very welcome change for this daytime veteran. And seriously, if you want to know why she is crowned "Daytime's Best Actress" or atleast one of them, just take a look at her tour de france back-to-back Emmy winning performance when her alters come out to play. Seriously, few actresses have come short of that brilliant display of acting. The scenes between Robin Strasser and Erika Slezak, where Dorian tumbles down the stairs are some of the best acting ever produced on television, period. I miss *those* days of One Life to Live.

Re. Nancy Lee Grahn

IMHO she is currently the best actress on General Hospital. She could go to Primetime and do wonders. She's bloody brilliant, and has to put up with a lot of lame sh.it from TPTB.

Re. Phelps

F.uck her. There are plenty of talented producers who aren't bitches to work with.

Now for my unpopular opinions...

-I love Victoria Rowell, but by the end of her run she was downright dreadful. Overwrought, over-the-top, and just plain bad acting. I supported her for a pre-nom the prior two years, but that year, hell no.

-Eileen Davidson never stood a chance against Cynthia Watros. It wasn't even close, at all. Her best work was on "The Young & the Restless" hands down.

-Susan Flannery is a tired, repetitive actress. I don't know why people see Flannery as "The End Game." She's played the same scenes consistently, and yes, she has played them well, but she's rarely been challenged. Ever since she won her first Daytime Emmy for her role as Stephanie Forrester on "The Bold & the Beautiful" she has lost the charm. Her "Big Bear" performance was absurd, and I don't know how it beat out Eileen Davidson and Nancy Lee Grahn that year. Then Brad Bell's "Stephanie was abused" storyline was soooooooo bad. So cliche, so hammy, so...Brad. Plus, I thought Flannery was horrible in that. Slezak did it better, and that's why I'm more content in naming "Slezak the Best."

-Alicia Minshew and Throsten Kaye are untalented thespians. I doubt that is unpopular though.

-I'm fine without seeing Jacklyn Zeaman on GH. She's not as good as she used to be, and can barely emote these days.

-Debbi Morgan and Darnell Williams are bland. I'm shocked because Debbi in particular used to be better, I think she'd improve on a better produced show though, like Y&R. She doesn't fit on THIS AMC.

-Renee Jones should jump ship and leave that horribly conceived character.

-Genie Francis fails to mesmerize me.

....That's it for now....

• Members

I wish Andrea Evans had never come back to OLTL, but only because Tina's storyline is so uninteresting. Tina's return has done nothing to make Sara's character more interesting, and I'm enormously disappointed that Tina hasn't mixed it up with Viki, Todd, David, Dorian, or Blair.

And they didn't need Tina to reveal that Talia is Carlo's daughter; that story could have stood on its own.

• Members

AMC:

I hated Dixie since she slept with Adam and saying something like, "Brooke isn't woman enough to have babies."

I never liked Brooke English.

I can't stand the sound of Tad Martin's voice.

GH: I never liked Laura. I sometimes like Sonny and Carly. Carly because I find her amusing when she puts her foot into mouth. I no longer get angry at GH when the writers so something stupid.

Days: I never liked Kayla Brady.

OLTL: I'm glad Lindsay's lies finally caught up with her. I like Todd and Marty scenes.

I started watching Guiding Light again because of G, Grady, whatever. He reminds me of Sawyer on LOST.

ABannerCarlyBeingCarlyGH.jpg

• Members

...more

-Daytime fans are becoming more sensitive and stubborn.

-I'm indifferent to Ron Carlivati. Some days I think people are being far too critical, other days I think he's being much too praised.

-Christel Khalil is not as bad as she's made out to be.

-I wouldn't mind Gloria if the very mention of the skin cream were not the focal point of the character for the past two years.

-Lyndsay Fonseca was the best Colleen Carlton, from her romance with JT, to her daughter-father relationship with Brad Carlton.

-Sandra Nelson was a great Phyllis.

-Justin Deas needs a long vacation.

-Beth Ehlers is a loon.

-General Hospital will never change, yet everyday is a new complaint.

-Bree Williamson is an inconsistently erratic performer.

-Tuc Watkins latest stink stint on OLTL has been awful.

-Andrea Evans is playing REBECCA HOTCHKISS. Please don't tell me that's how Tina was either. She needs to reign in her over-the-top campy style.

-Colleen Zenk Pinter > Maura West

-AMC has the most boring leading males, and most of the females are interchangeable.

-Juliet Mills was robbed of an Emmy nomination for her work during Timmy's death. Also, Lindsay Hartley and Ben Masters should have both received at least one nomination from their entire stint on PASSIONS.

• Members

On the Producer forefront, and Emmy's go H. Wesley Kenney is very successful in that regards. He only worked as producer on 3 shows and he was nominated for Best Series while working on each and won 1 time for Days and 3 times for Y&R. He was nominated for GH but didn't win. He has a total of 7 Emmys - 3 for direction with 15 Daytime Emmy nominations. He doesn't get a lot of credit but he is one of the best producers ever in daytime. All of his shows succeeeded under him.

My unpopular opinions:

* Kendall Hart (at least since Alicia Minshew has taken over) is one of the worst characters ever.

* Zendall is one of the worst couples over - along with one of the most boring.

* The sextette from hell is made worse because they are in it and all the characters are so darn boring.

* Hogan Sheffer is not worthy of 4 Emmy awards and all the praise he gets.

* Gloria Monty is not deserving of all the praise bestowed on her as the savior of daytime soaps.

* EJami is a terrible couple together and yes he did rape Sami.

* Luke and Noah are not a good couple together; kevin & luke would have been better.

* I prefer Bianca and Zoe over Bianca and Maggie

* I like Reva and Jeffrey together.

* I think Victoria Rowell is very overrated and not as great as many make her out to be.

* I don't think Ken Corday is the biggest problem with Days as most fans do. He is part of it but I think writers are the bigger problem.

* I think JER even though he got good ratings for Days did more damage to Days than he did good.

* I think Sherri Anderson is very overrated as a writer.

* I think writers who get mad when they don't get to write what they want and don't put 100% effort into what they write are hacks. No writer ever got to write all he or she wanted but writers like Doug Marland did not let it affect the stories they did write. Marland didn't want to write Luke & Laura - that was Monty - but he did it and he did it damn well. He wanted to continue with Scotty & Laura.

* I don't think Christopher Goutman is as much to blame in the firing of Martha Byrne as P&G is.

• Members

I cosign this from the period of her debut (even her "consulting" phase) through, I think, John Abbott's death and its' aftermath. Once the Senate/Clear Springs storyline began, followed by Pheila, she lost me. But I thought her dialogue writers greatly improved the spoken language on the show--humor, pacing--and I am sorry that six of them were given walking papers.

KKL was a goddess to me...when she played a young woman ruled by fate. But she is not a young woman anymore, and the writing has not let the character grow. Her constant yearning and indecision has become beyond tedious.

• Members

Yes, but the entire union can't base their strike on what's good for daytime TV. The union called for a strike, rightly IMO, and the union members should have honored that strike to keep maximum pressure on management. This writer opts out here, that writer opts out there, and suddenly you have a union that couldn't even strike a match. Plus, management was just out and out lying. Even as they insisted there was no money in streaming media, Viacom was suing Youtube for $1 billion in damages because of lost income due to copyright infringement. If there was no money in streaming online, why a suit? Just go take a look at fancast and hulu. Those sites are what your local station was 20 years ago showing Twilight Zone and all the other shows that used to be staples of local television.

Archived