EastEnders: Discussion Thread

• Replies 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I'm ready for Kirkwood's material to start. June 7th can't come soon enough.

This show is just threading water, and obviously Santer and team didn't bother to develop most of the final stories of this regime.

This show needs a burst of energy, and by the sounds of it, Kirkwood's debut episode will be getting on that fast.

But of course, even when we get to the Kirkwood era, the first two months or so will still be a transitional phase, but it has to be better than Santer's final weeks.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

If Marquess' work starts on Hollyoaks next week, like many predict, then after. We still don't know the exact date of Marquess' first episode.

We do know Kirkwood's first episode on EastEnders will be aired on June 7th (he'll share the EP credit for the first two weeks with Santer, a product of the handover period in late-February earlier this year, I'm sure).

• Members

I wonder if Santer has still been responsible for the story outlines or if Treadwell-Collins took that over or what. This half-assed Syed "did he try to commit suicide...let's destroy the Masood family and show how miserable they are in every damn episode" does not feel like Santer, and I was not exactly a big fan of his.

• Members

I just wonder if it was something he didn't really have a serious role in; I can't remember any suicide stuff when he was producer, aside from Mad May. They cut out scenes where Ronnie talked about attempting suicide. I thought it had become a topic which they were not going to seriously address. Then here it comes, shrugged off as an afterthought and as a way to get your family to forgive you, which is a very irresponsible way to depict a suicide attempt.

He also gave the Masoods a lot of comedy, which they don't seem to have now. The more time they spend frowning and screaming, having Zainab as a headcase and having Tamwar whine and Masood act like a hypocrite, the more the family becomes pointless, just like a million other soap families, most of whom are long gone.

• Members

I enjoyed today's show, minus the Masoods, who were, again, miserable and horribly uncomfortable to watch, and Danny, who is a waste of oxygen. It was nice to see more of Denise and what she's going through, that helps add to the Lucas story. I also liked seeing some comedy with Chelsea. She's so beautiful I don't know why she's so often written as this loser no man really wants. Jean and the mechanical bull was hilarious, and Ryan and Janine were fun.

Phil is as much of a loser as ever but at least the show is apparently admitting he is a loser.

They have gone about this Ben story all the wrong way. I've seen post after post and one comment after another cheering Phil for punching Ben and talking about how they laughed so much when Ben got punched in the face. Any dramatic potential this story had was ruined when they made Ben into such a joke. It's very uneasy to know how many people enjoy Ben being such a mess.

• Members

According to the spoilers I've read concerning Kirkwood's first week in the credits, it looks like the Lucas storyline will really be taking off under his watch, Denise is heavily involved as well.

Kirkwood will first be credited on June 7th of course, here's what's happening during that week:

Monday, 7th June

Scheduling TBC

Phil returns from a weekend binge determined to win Ben back, but he faces bigger battles than he anticipated.

Meanwhile, an increasingly unstable Lucas is rattled by idle gossip.

Elsewhere, who is the bewitching new girl on the Square?

Tuesday, 8th June

Scheduling TBC

Denise battles with Lucas after discovering a shocking truth about the attack.

Meanwhile, Darren is met with a surprise discovery of his own after a date with Jodie.

Lucy makes a desperate decision about her exams.

Thursday, 10th June

Scheduling TBC

It's the day of the court case – will Jordan's new evidence change Ben's fate?

Meanwhile, Max discovers Vanessa has been economical with the truth.

Lucas embarks on a chilling and violent mission of salvation.

The original episode due to air on Monday 7th is now airing on Friday 4th.

• Members

Yeah, I could kind of see that today, as Denise had a clear point of view for the first time ever in this storyline and the focus was on what Lucas was doing to her. I hope that continues. Diane Parish is one hell of an actress and she's also very entertaining to watch, especially when Denise isn't shouting all the time.

They seem to be going through the Vanessa story quickly. I guess because Tanya will be back before too long. How long is Lucker's contract?

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

It looks like she'll be getting acquainted with Max pretty fast, which I think is good, since she's a new character that was specifically created to interact with Max.

I think EastEnders typically offers 6 month contracts for new characters, then they'll extend from there.

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner

• Members

A little preview of next Monday's scenes between Ben and Lucas.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object> Edited by Y&RWorldTurner