Loving/The City Discussion Thread

• Members

LOL, it's funny how she gets such hate around here, I think the things that were a bit "much" about her back then we had no idea would still be going strong. I'm not sure anyone would havge guessed that she would have had the soap career she has. Not that she's bad, but I don't think we held much hope that Loving actors would get a fair deal.

Actually, no, I'd never seen that article. Episodes is the best! It's funny because I believe back then they advertised that you could buy all the back issues and there was even a nifty holder to keep them in. Or maybe I'm confusing that with another magazine. I don't remember that Kate fantasy though I think I read about it. When I think of Kate, my mind mstly goes to her with her head in a scarf when she was battling cancer or earlier scenes of her and Roya-Ava in her mini-power suits and little veiled hats. And then her and Louie.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Laura had much more warmth in her Loving/City and early GL years. That seemed to fade starting around 2002 or 2003 and it's mostly gone now. I remember liking Ally, and that whole story with the Ally/Carla rivalry, I enjoyed them both, I just wondered why they wanted the loser Tony.

I remember Nada Rowand said "everything" was life-affirming for Kate, even cancer. They used to have the photos of her in her slinky dresses doing a nightclub routine. It's hard to imagine Kate doing that. It's like Ada Davis doing the lambada.

• Members

:lol: With her Elvis popped collar.

Yeah, LW had her snotty, red-faced, angry quivering lip cry perfected way back then. I never had reason to dislike her, still don't, but when I do catch her on GH she's never using her indoor voice and always seems to be nagging somebody.

• Members

I remember The Wizard of Oz fantasy- I'm pretty sure it was when Lisa Peluso was playing Ava. Actually, I'm positive because Ava was Dorothy and Jeremy Hunter was one of her 3 companions, I'm thinking the lion. Not positive, but I think I remember Randy Mantooth's Alex was the Scarecrow. Not sure about the Tin Man. Is any of this right Carl?

• Members

I've missed this thread for a while--

I didn't watch Loving until right after Babbin left (was fired?) but I wonder why her run was so very short, then again Loving was filled with musical chairs. And I loved Celeste Holm as Isabelle--but I admit part of the appeal as a young teen musical theatre fag, was to have an original cast member from Oklahoma (Ado Annie!) be on a soap I watched...

I rememebr the Oz fantasy too--it was prob around the time as other wacky bits with Ava and Jeremy like the Universal Studios/King Kong bit... And I admit I quite liked Laura Sisk on Loving (and The City even if her love triangle with Tony/Danny was a bit endless) and having never seen more than a minute or so of her on any other soap never quite got the hate. not that she was an all time fave or anything, but...

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

There's some brief stuff if you look... The show was still finding itself when she was on and didn't come into its own (at least IMHO :P ) till Tracy replaced her. It was probably a mistake to do a murder mystery so soon after Loving's--even with, like Loving's, it's own special opening.

edit I see Carl posted mostr of these way back LOL

her BRIEF first appearance at the end of this

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

And someone just posted the last episode of The City a few weeks back but it's near impossible to watch... Still here's part one. (I really should digitize and upload my video tapes...)

Not sure if it's worth linking the other two parts but you can find them from there.

(Better quality is the ending montage to the Beatles they did which at the time I really liked... Although this clip ends before the actual The End when they show crew members, etc)

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

Much more watchable is a 1996 episode. In hindsight it sure looks dated--and this is hardly a brilliant episode--, but I think it's interesting that the handheld camera work, etc, is still better than GL's often was. The last year it aired here (from the Seattle ABC) at 12:35 midnight, and I admit I think it worked best as a late night soap for some reason--well I really loved its last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6qiZC-RLEI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZGXCcAMf_M

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

Well it did have a bigger budget than GL did at the end, but I do think the show looked good towards the end (The City), aside from some glossiness on the camera.

Did you know that Jessica Collins originally read for Ally? I think I read that. And that Laura Sisk gave her the cold shoulder at first because she thought Jessica had been hired to replace her. They made up when Laura realized Jessica was playing a new character (Dinah Lee).

• Members

May/June 1993 Episodes. Loving's 10th anniversary. The first page I didn't scan, as it's just text, saying the original show purpose (blue blood, Corinth, etc.) and that after over 2,500 episodes the show is entering its second decade in stride.

02-04-2011071924AM3.jpg

02-04-2011071924AM4.jpg

• Members

Actors talk about backstage moments.

Lauren-Marie Taylor says on July 16, 1991, she went into labor during a morning rehearsal. She worked to the last minute, then went off to the hospital where she gave birth at 12:40, right in the middle of a commercial break for Loving. She had a TV in the room.

James Carroll - When he and Susan Keith were rehearsing a love scene, her husband James Kiberd walked over to him and said "Those scenes are great!" James panicked as he realized Kiberd being at AMC meant he could watch their every move, but Susan said he was fine. Now Carroll knows it's true.

Lisa Peluso praises the hairdresser, Russell Latham.

Robert Tyler - One Christmas, Trisha gave Trucker some fancy leather gloves right before they sat down to kiss in front of a campfire. They smelled smoke...the gloves had caught on fire!

Christine Tudor Newman - Her most fun was having a catfight with Ann, played by good friend Callan White, with the Rocky theme playing in the background.

Nada Rowand - Kate always called Ava "honey girl" because Nada's mother had used that term. One time Minnie called Egypt "honey girl". Lisa Peluso spoke up, saying she thought she was the only "honey girl", and the line was changed.

Susan Keith - As an April Fool's joke, 7 of the women on the show went to the producer's office to announce they were pregnant. The production assistant believed them.

Laura Sisk - Paul Anthony Stewart made her cry during the scene where Casey proposed to Ally, when he gave her a bottle of melted snow from the church outside Trisha and Trucker's wedding. The script said she kept a stiff upper lip, but Laura couldn't.

Michael Weatherly - He's late to work all the time. One time he got in a cab so he wouldn't be late, but the cab driver hit someone! The producer tells him "Go to bed at 11" He tries, but just stares at the ceiling until 4 AM.