OLTL: Discussion for the week June 2-6

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're right, Sylph. It isn't difficult. Which is what makes it all that much more endearing - because it's such a simple answer, and NONE of the other shows are doing it. They're all trying to reinvent the wheel. Ron isn't. And I applaud him for it. Is there a story we haven't seen before on daytime? No, there isn't. It's all stuff we've seen before. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. Especially when nobody else is doing it.

And man, Sylph...you just like showing up in threads and raining on people's parades, don't you? Say nay all you want, Naysayer. We'll still watch!! :D

• Administrator

We're all praising OLTL is because WE NEVER SEE THIS ANYMORE on soaps. It's so rare and when we see awesome stuff like this, can you blame us for getting excited. I just hate hating soaps and OLTL is the only soap I truly love right now.

• Members

What I find sad is that the quest for a perfect, compelling soap has turned into a discovery of a soap that re-does the '80s cliches. I mean, the fans' criteria are so low, it's enough for you to wave at them with a little cliche here and there and cast interaction and boom - they love it!

• Administrator

Not reading it. :D

How can you people read spoilers when a show is so good???!!! Be a kid again (remember those days?) and watch soaps without not knowing what's going to happen!

• Members

Yes, yes, yes. Just wave pretty shiny things in front of us, and we'll be content. How sad we are.

Why do you stoop to our level?

I love your approach to master storytelling, Sylph. I do. But didn't you ever watch for sheer fun? To be excited? To rush home on a Monday, practically jumping out of your skin to find out what happened on your soap? Didn't you get a thrill over a character finding out a dreaded secret, and unleashing on the Secret-Keeper? There's disagreeing with people, and then there's laughing at people because they're sad for loving an 80's cliche. It's a little elitist.

I'm not trying to pick a fight. Really, I'm not. But this is the first time in I don't know how long I've come into a thread, and people are HAPPY. Let's just let them be happy and enjoy something on daytime again. The drought is over for one hour a day, on one network. Let's just enjoy it.

• Members

The 40th Anniversary spoilers sound great. Though, I really wish they could've gotten Judith Light to make an appearance, as was rumoured.

Anyway, I like Ron's OLTL for the most part. Though I think Sylph has a point, if all the soaps were delivering and succeeded in trying new things, would we all look at OLTL the same way? I don't know.

I think OLTL stand up great, without with cheesy 80's cliches. I HATED what I saw of Paul Rauch's OLTL, I think he creatively raped the show. OLTL's golden era was the late 70's/early 80's when Gordon Russell was HW and Joseph Stuart was EP. The stuff I saw on youtube from that era was EXCEPTIONAL.

Has Ron written a classic moment like Karen Wolek's breakdown confession on the witness stand? No. Is it entertaining? Yes, and that's not something I can say for most other "soaps."

Archived