Central Park West Discussion Thread

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I loved this show, too. I know it was unbelievable trash, but somehow I got hooked. I hated it at first, then something changed and I watched every single episode.

Mädchen Amick was the one I didn't like at first, then when the psycho Mark Merrill started haunting her, I couldn't wait for her to get him. :D

Mariel Hemingway's Stephanie was so stupid, yet funnily quite watchable. I hated the Euro-trash version of Kylie Travis's character...

• Members

I read a story once that Raquel Welch annoyed everyone on the show by constantly being late for shooting so John Barrowman got revenge by wiping his ass on one of her wigs.

Loved the show though. I rewatched some it recently and realised that I actually preferred it in the beginning before it went all Dynasty. There was something fresh about it for its time -- it had the trash factor but didn't necessarily come off quite as predictable as other shows. I certainly don't see that Mariel Hemmingway was a major problem.

• Members

I kind of didn't like the first two episodes, I can't really remember, and then things started off well suddenly. Near the end it really went Dynasty. But cheaply. I never quite bought the Diana/Allen pairing; of course it was pure interest, but had Diana been played by another actress, it would have been better.

Mariel was great in her role; in fact, I think she's the only idiotic character I liked (of all time).

And why do I hate Raquel Welch? Are you people kidding?!

Edited by Sylph

• Members

The show was also a lift-off for many famous writers and directors: Timothy Van Patten (do I really have to list his credits), Allan Arkush (Heroes), Eric Overmyer (Homicide: Life on the Street, The Wire), Terri Minsky (Less Than Perfect, Sex and the City, Cashmere Mafia).

• Members

Raquel Welch didn't work and the character was a poorly conceived mess. Everything about her screamed Alexis retread -- banished away to Europe by her ex-husband, walked out on her kids etc etc. It needed someone who had a lot more pull as a serious actress to make the whole thing seem interesting. Instead it just came across as what it was. Throw a "name" actress in, go apeshit crazy with camp and hope it sticks.

Yeah Mariel worked for me because Stephanie was an ostensibly nice but stupid character. I enjoyed watching Carrie wind her up in the office. Rachel Dennis sort of represented the mis-steps. I didn't see that she served much of a point. It was like the Nikki character. At first she had a nice story as Allen's mistress that tied in nicely with the canvas but then she became useless. I've never seen the 3 or so unaired eps so I don't know how her story progressed.

I loved the pilot. Don't know why but it just appealed to me. And CBS sure as hell plugged it.

As for the writers, Terri Minsky certainly did a good job and I like how it was so obviously a precursor for the NYC vibe of Sex and the City for Darren Star and his cohorts. I found it interesting that Dallas writer Camille Marchetta was dragged into the camp revamp but then she was responsible for the Moldavian massacre on Dynasty.

Edited by JamesF

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Sylph I thought you hated these kinds of prime time soaps--or is it only when Spelling is involved? ;)

I'd actually love to buy this on DVD--I LOVED it, though I remember actually being more into it before it was overhauled--not sure if it was cuz I liked it better or if it was just that I never got back into it...