• 2 months later...
  • Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Watching this every weekend on SoapNet the past couple months... it has been years since I have seen this show but it truly is an enduring gem -- I think, like Knots Landing, this has gone on for a long run and hasn't jumped the shark. They are mid-way thru season 8 and it's great. They were able to keep successfully re-inventing themselves, and even when it feels like it should be "bad", it is good, whether by retro charm or the cast's charm.

That said Brandon and Kelly are sickeningly sweet as a couple and I can't wait for them to break up lol. Shocked at how completely minuscule and pointless Hilary Swank's short stint is. She has 2 episodes left and she has done nothing. Maybe that's why this didn't kill her career... nobody even remembered she was on this.

While I'm enjoying season 8 I would really really really love to watch the high school years but it's gonna take a while :(

Edited by juppiter

• Members

Seasons 5, 6, & 8 were great but 1-4 is definitely the show at its best. I wish Shannen had come back at least once so we could have seen her with TAT's Val.

7, the last college season is absolute trash. The only interesting thing that happened that year was the stuff with Donna and her stalker, and even that was rushed and badly acted. The last two seasons are just flat out mediocre and it was obvious how past its peak the series was.

• Members

Is there any place on the internet where these can be watched? I saw there was a DVD set of all ten seasons and I was all set to go but then I saw that they dubbed over the original music, just like the MSCL release... I think the music was such an important part of this show that I don't know if I can make that purchase, at least not for that price :-/

• Members

I want to find a bootleg copy of this seriesbecause I need the original music as well. It's only with Melrose Place because I don't feel the music was as important, but for 90210 its a must. I can't imagine the prom without those Cathy Dennis songs, or the Color Me Badd stuff earlier.

• Members

I also have to say -- I feel horrible because Brian Austin Green was such a cute kid in Knots Landing and the early seasons of 90210 -- but damn. He got hot. And all of David's sleazy drug addiction/in debt storylines only make him hotter. I feel dirty :-/

Edited by juppiter

• Members

I used to avoid the later years because I found them boring but I'm also rewatching on the SN weekends and I'm really enjoying Season 8. I found the end of Season 7 incredibly dull and boring (started with the hostage episode and the end of Donna's stalker story). I'm surprised by how much I've enjoyed Steve with Hilary Swank's character but I'm not sure where they possibly could have gone with them story-wise.

• Members

I thought season 8 was when the show began to change its tone. Seasons 5 to 7 had a very Melrose-ish feel about them, but once season 8 kicked in, outrageous storylines no longer happened, the characters were dulled down, and all of them began working in rather low-class jobs. Suddenly, it didn't feel like Beverly Hills anymore. At that point, the show could've taken place in a city in the Midwest and nobody would've even noticed.

Besides, they re-introduced those "issues of the week" storylines that dominated the high school years, though less glamorous, and most of them were boring and predictable.

I also don't know why they bothered to introduce Carly. They had already ruined a main character – Andrea – by making her a mother and had run out of ideas for her two seasons prior. Why did they feel the need to create a similar character? I always thought that Andrea and Steve had wonderful chemistry. Instead of introducing Carly, they could have brought Andrea back and pair her up with Steve.

The only good thing about season 8 was Valerie.

Donna's pill addiction was laughable. They should have known by then that Tori can't pull off drama. For strange reasons, I've always liked Donna, but she was just too stupid. Why did she always run back to David? He treated her like an ass most of the time, yet it was always her fault.

It's striking that in 90210 land, it's mostly the female characters that are portrayed as being in the wrong. For example, during the Brenda/Kelly/Dylan triangle, nobody thinks that Dylan made a mistake by flirting with Kelly. During Val's rape storyline, it's of course Val's fault that she got drugged. The fact that Noah slept with an unconcious woman is swept under the rug. Rather strange considering that the target demo for this show were women.

Edited by Huntress

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

SoapNet showing season 1 episodes right now. Holy crap, I have not seen these in forever.... maybe I have only seen them once or twice if ever? Tuned in expecting to see this week's DAYS episodes and caught this. This is so much different than what the show became, kind of like Knots Landing season 1 or Dynasty season 1... a real interesting perspective on moving from the midwest to Beverly Hills. Actual character development for Jim and Cindy. They would completely lose that by season 2.

I liked the reboot in the "summer season" of season 2 but this is good too. Muting my BB feeds for this.

Edited by juppiter

• 2 months later...