B&B: Week of April 14, 2008

• Members

^ Damn, MarkH. It's like you've been peeking inside my head.

I always hold out hope for B&B because I am a Day One viewer and know what potential it has. I've tried to be pro-active and positive this year by e-mailing TPTB, telling them what I don't like and praising them on the stuff I enjoy and asking that they build on it... i.e.: give Felicia/Thorne/Storm/Katie some story... Give Brooke her balls back! Etc.

I was hopeful when they widened the canvas and brought the Logans back en masse last year. Finally, they're opening up the gene pool! With LML's Y&R going down the shitter, I figured that Brad would step into the breach, to show Sony that he really is his father's heir. That he would use B&B as a showcase in order to step into the Y&R HW job.

Unfortunately, B&B's recent "progress" seems to have been an exercise in reinforcing the same old recycled SLs. With Storm going crazy, I am seriously disappointed. I guess B&B's intention was to keep Ridge and Nick as resident top dogs and the rest be damned.

As you say, B&B is a master class in wasted potential. I'm no Chekov but it really makes me want to storm the B&B barricades and start writing for characters that I can get invested in again.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, we really do think alike...right down to hope for the rejuvenated Logans.

Brad REALLY needs to retreat to Executive Producer, and allow a STRONG Head Writer to refocus the team.

At this point--especially with today's Y&R doing so well with a mix of old and new....a new Bell leading LML's good dialogue/breakdown writers...I'm thinking it should be an outsider. Kept on tight leash by Brad...maybe even Brad keeps storyline approval....but he REALLY needs help.

I'm not encouraged by the fact that he seems to have brought in Jack Smith to help with the obvious problems. It is clear to me that the Bells have wanted to protect Smith as much as Alden...and I respect that...but I don't remember B&B being truly *great* since Bill Bell handed over control.

I want to love this show. All I can say is that I'm not indifferent....so the show DOES still have my heart.

• Members

I cant beleive that Pam was ever allowed to bring her doberman to work with her

I HATE that Nick has all the power when it comes to Taylor and her son and that he has all these women falling at his feet. Katie needed to STFU bc she has no say here. I hate that the 3 Logan women get to spend more time with Jack than Taylor. Really irritates me how Katie and Bridget have swooped in to play mother

• Members

honeslty, the Nick worship on this show is worse than the sonny & jason worship on GH - and thats BAD!!

i do LOVE Ashley Jones, Heather Tom, & jack Wagner in a story together tho...

and i have fallen in love with Caroline via youtube. OMG, she was amazing! and the actress is great and beautiful! I loved her and Thorne.

• Members

The problem I have with this story is that it's completely unbelievable. Nick is practically ready for the geriatric ward and we are supposed to believe that a 30 something Katie thinks she's not hot enough for him? In what world?? Do not get me started on the Nick worship that is infecting this show. It's not as if he even has breeding or education on his side. Donna is an airhead, but at least she had the sense to see Nick as nothing special right out of the gate. So much for Katie being the intelligent, sensible, voice of reason I was hoping for. This whole "awkward teen" bit that Katie is playing just does not work when the person playing the role looks like Heather Tom. It's so forced as to be laughable really. I don't care how much acne she has when she was 16. :rolleyes:

• Members

The actress is Joanna Johnson (and she's now a writer!). And Caroline is :wub:

Caroline was my favorite character on B&B back in the day... perhaps my favorite all-time character on the show (up there with Stephanie, Sheila and Brooke. And Sally! And Grant!). Caroline could have been such a wimpy, one-note character. But JJ (and William J. Bell) made her strong, human, flawed but fundamentally decent. A three-dimensional heroine. JJ gave the character an inner glow. The fact that she looked like Grace Kelly reinforced that, LOL.

• Members

Indeed, wasn't the show named...or nicknamed..."Carolina" in Greece back in the day? She was THAT popular.

B&B lost a great deal when Johnson decided to move on. That, in my mind, was the end of its dignified (kind of) phase. Hunter Tylo's Taylor was a decent "new direction" for Ridge, so the show wasn't immediately dreck...but Caroline really was the heart of the show that never quite came back.

I remember when they brought Johnson back a few years later as Caroline's "stolen at birth" twin. Initially, she was a brunette hick/diner waitress named Faith (right?). But that didn't go over too well to the audience. SHOCKINGLY, SHE NEVER HAD SCENES WITH RONN MOSS. I MEAN ALMOST _NEVER_. Faith was involved, as I recall, in tangential storylines with her peripheral dad ("Bill Spencer"), Taylor's ex-husband ("Blake Hayes"...I'm remembering a kidnapping where she had to be rescued by Thorne...but I could be totally inventing), and perennial kiss-of-death-for-female-scene-partners Thorne (then played by Jeff Trachta).

At some point, the team obviously felt that hick Faith wasn't working. So, she reverted to her given-name-at-birth ("Karen"...sounds a lot like Caroline, eh?), went blonde, became fashionable, and even headed up Caroline's old gig, running "Eye on Fashion" magazine.

Alas, she was put in some dumb triangle with Thorne and Macy (the clear rooting couple....but despite this, they had Karen give her virginity to Thorne, with whom she had no virginity...and yes, this was a woman in her mid-to-late-30s who was still a virgin). Again, now that she was the glowing icon of Caroline, she NEVER had scenes with Ronn Moss!!!!! (Makes me think there must have been backstage friction there).

So, Karen/Faith went off stage with a whimper, never to be mentioned again. Kind of like Amber's twin, April.

Such a waste.

[Caroline Hinsey mode on]DON'T KILL YOUR CORE CHARACTERS. ESPECIALLY DON'T KILL YOUR CORE CHARACTERS IF YOU MIGHT REGRET IT.[/Caroline Hinsey mode oFF]

Oh wait...isn't this the show that killed beloved core character Macy in a fiery explosion...then brought her back from the dead in great scenes in Lake Como, Italy....then killed her again a year later by plopping a chandelier on her head....where she died off-camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

Oh wait...isn't this the show that TWICE killed off heroine Taylor Hayes...first in a plane crash (she was saved by a mysterious Arabian prince...that was within the realm of soap plausibility)....then killed her the second time...slowly (agonizing, beautiful death...like Caroline's)...with a bullet to the heart?????? We saw her die on screen (albeit without monitors). Then, years later, we learned the arabian prince swooped in, IN THAT CONDITION, whisked her to the middle east....saved her.

Oh yeah? Then who was that at Taylor's OPEN-CASKET funeral that lasted for several days and...if verisimilitude holds...probably had people touch her??? WELL IT WAS A REMARKABLY CONVINCING WAX DUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to go off on a tangent. But B&B is the show I have warped affection for, and I can't kill the place it occupies in my heart....even when I read what I wrote above.

• Members

Oh, yes, I absolutely agree with you! I LOVED his time on B&B, the whole Ridge vs Thorne storyline, Nick/Felicia, and all the else. It was a very well planned, emotional set of episodes, no instant couples, or marriages or stuff like that.

Archived