Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

We can agree to disagree. As far as "looking or sounding Hispanic," Michaels appeared moreso than Lazar. A Californian raised in the US wouldn't necessarily be accented. But let's tackle the ethnicity of Will Jeffries, Welles Carrera, and Sonni and Solita on GUIDING LIGHT next. LOL

• Members

Finally, someone agrees with me! I thought Linda Gibboney was sheer perfection as Gina and I was really bummed that Robin replaced her. Robin was great in the role, of course, especially when teamed with Justin Deas, but I still have fond memories of LG.

• Members

LG's Gina was like a china doll, fragile and looking for love in all the wrong places. Her gradual change into a villainess was very believable, and LG played the raw hurt perfectly. Her SOD win for Best Villainess was very well deserved. I'm not exactly sure what the reasons were for her being let go and replaced by RM, and I'm not sure how she would have worked with Justin Deas and all the wacky storylines that were going on then.

RM was very good at playing the comedic stories, and she had the chemistry in spades with Justin Deas. She played the dramatic plots very well, too, like when she learned the truth of her connection to Lily Light, and the rape of her niece, Hayley.

The dynamics between Gina and Santana seemed to change with the change in actresses. When it was LG playing Gina, she was the weak, clingy one while it was Ava Lazar's Santana who was the cunning spitfire with a backbone. RM's Gina then became the strong, calculating one while Santana (then played by Gina Gallego) became a sniveling mess.

One thing never changed with either Gina - both were driven to do what they did, however shady, for Brandon. Both actresses played Gina's love for her adopted son beautifully.

• Members

According to Linda Gibboney, then-EP Mary-Ellis Bunim fired her for what she (Bunim) considered unprofessional behavior. Either Gibboney was recovering from pneumonia or had recovered from it; however, she refused to wear a bathing suit that a particular scene called for even after Bunim came down on set and instructed her to.

• Members

I read the interview with Jed Allan and he said he was the one who had to tell Charles Bateman he was replacing him as C.C. at a party. Imagine what kind of a blow that was to an actor having your recast tell you.

Edited by SoapDope

• Members

How awful. Yes, I've heard that, too. The two men were golf buddies, as I understand it. How cowardly of the Dobsons or MEB not to even tell him. Then, of course, Jed felt terrible (who wouldn't?).

While recasting the role with Jed turned out to be one of the best moves the show ever made, what a low blow for Charles Bateman. Does anyone know whatever happened to him post-SB?

Maybe because that was her first producing job, as she was moving herself up from the music department (where she had worked at GH in the late 70s/early 80s). Because I like to give credit where credit is due, she did some excellent work on SB.