Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

Yeah I remember that. Searing. Richard Eden had such intensity - I think the only other male actor on the show who had that much was A Martinez, and he was often more restrained, since Cruz was a low-key, true-blue guy. I wish they'd done more with Brick. They should have had him truly go over the edge and pick himself back up, instead of just using it for the Hayley rape story.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I couldn't agree more!! Richard Eden's work in the aftermath of Amy's death earned him an Emmy nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actor in 1987, but lost the award to ATWT's Gregg Marx (RE's castmate Justin Deas was also nominated in that category). I loved the entire Amy/Brick love story, as well as Brick's interactions with the Lockridge family, in particular Dame Judith Anderson's Minx. Yes, he brought much intensity to Brick, along with loyalty and passion.

In some interview from back in the day that I can't find now, RE said the name "Brick" (the character's real name was Barnaby!) was a direct homage to Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. A pre-Dame Judith Anderson played Big Mama in the film version opposite Paul Newman and Liz Taylor.

• Members

This episode shows again what juniorz1 talked about sometimes - the great friendship between Julia and Cruz.

I'm not sure how I would have felt about the story when it played out, but it's very well cast, especially David's other woman. I wish they'd kept Terry Davis around longer too.

I like Santana but she drives me batshit, I must say.

One thing I notice with these episodes is that the characters are strong but the stories are not quite as strong. I'm sure there must have been moments where the characters AND the stories were awesome. I just haven't seen that many.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Will go on record to say that I think to this day Judith mcconnell is one of the most gorgeous women to have ever been on soap.

To think CC would cheat on sophia with anyone is still one of the most absurd thing possible for this santa barbara fan.

Although if he didnt cheat I wouldnt have had my short-lived but to me at least memorable Greg & emily pairing. Im a fan of Paul johannson based on that alone

SB truly had one of the best supporting cast any soap could dream of. Too bad they kept getting rid of it every 6 months.

I know there were marquise couples like Cruz & Eden (which i find quite irritating if you ask me) and Mason & Julia but to me it was the "secondary" characters such as Pearl, Keith, gina, carolyne (yes I loved her) and so on that truly made Santa Barbara the gem that it was.

• Members

Sad news to pass along - Dane Witherspoon (Joe Perkins #1, 1984), passed away early this morning in Colorado at the age of 56. A Martinez posted the news on his FB page:

"DANE WITHERSPOON
1957-2014

Dane passed this morning. People who watched Santa Barbara in its earliest days will remember him as Joe Perkins, a character to which he brought a quiet grace and deep, bittersweet sense of soul. He was a singular, standup guy, loved and admired by many. My first thought, upon meeting him in 1984: "This is the most beautiful man I've ever seen." That beauty went all the way to his core."

RIP Dane...thanks for the memories.