Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Sungrey, I know how much you liked Eden and Cruz as a couple (and so did I!!) - but I wanted to know what you thought of Amy and Brick, both as a couple and individually. I felt bad that Amy was blown up, but couldn't fault Kerry Sherman for wanting to leave. She was pregnant with her second child (her first pregnancy had been written into the show), and wanted to leave show biz to be a full-time mom. I'd love to hear your thoughts!!!

• Members

im probably the only SB fan who couldnt stand Cruz and Eden. I think i systematically rooted for anyone that came between them (including Elena Nikolas who was a total whack job). The only exception would have to be Kirk Cranston. Even as a Cruz/Eden hater i couldnt root for Kirk lol

• Members

Well he was an entertaining psycho i will give him that lol

And joseph bottoms was great in the role. But i dare you to find a single Kirk/eden shipper lol

Then again I might be the only one who thought Dylan Hartley and kelly Capwell were one of Kelly's hottest pairing.

• Members

Yes, Joseph Bottoms was perfect as the sleazy ambulance chaser. (Honestly, could Kirk have been anything else BUT a lawyer? LOL) Pre-SB, he played a Jewish man forced on the lam in the acclaimed 1978 miniseries Holocaust, which starred Michael Moriarty, Meryl Streep and James Woods in the lead roles. Mr. Bottoms did a very credible job. These days, he runs an art gallery in his hometown of - Santa Barbara!!!! smile.png

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

I really liked Amy and Brick together... the writing was quite shaky in the first year of the show but you could tell Kerry and Richard had a pretty easygoing chemistry... I thought the "Brick is Channing" twist was quite good and it was believable (Minx didn't want her grandson raised as a Capwell). I was sad to see Amy get killed off but understood Kerry wanted to leave the show...

Those first few years of SB were so entertaining. The entire show was for the most part. I still miss it to this day.

• Members

I agree!! Plus, I felt like they were REAL. (Other than the New Stailand plot, which was beyond stupid and Richard Eden has gone on record as hating it.) After they were married, when someone rang the doorbell, the house was in somewhat of a disarray - regular clutter like clothes yet to be folded and put away. Later on, Amy had the vacuum cleaner out and was explaining to baby Johnny how it worked (when was the last time you saw a vacuum cleaner on a soap that wasn't being used by a maid/butler?).

Brick defended Amy's honor when her ex Jeff hassled her several times (decking him each and every time), and was there for her throughout her pregnancy with everything from moral support to foot massages. smile.png In turn, Amy was there for Brick when Augusta Lockridge framed him for embezzlement, and then when Minx's big secret came out and turned the world as Brick knew it upside down. They were friends at first (though smitten with each other from the start), who trusted and respected each other. The rest of the Perkins family (the surviving members, anyway) loved him right from the beginning, as did Brick's presumed parents, Katie and Glenn Wallace with Amy. Minx, Lionel, Sophia, Eden, Kelly and Ted all loved Amy, too, as they'd already known her for quite some time.

Even though I would have loved to see their love story continue (and with hindsight being 20/20 with Richard Eden having next to nothing of substance in his last year on the show, it would have been nice if they had left the show together with Amy, Brick, Johnny and maybe a new bun in the oven leaving Santa Barbara for bigger and better adventures), I'm glad they didn't recast Amy. Kerry Sherman had a girl-next-door quality to her, with a raspy voice that would become a trademark later for actresses like Demi Moore and Angie Harmon. She was down-to-earth and very pretty, but not in an unapproachable, supermodel-like way. Kerry was very unique, and I think it would have been hard to replicate those qualities she brought to Amy in another actress. Likewise, I'm glad they never recast Brick when Richard Eden left the following year. He brought an intensity to the character that I don't think could have been replicated.

Today, Richard and his wife, Shannon, write and produce independent short films. Here is a photo of them at the Robocop movie premiere earlier this year:

http://www.starpulse.com/Actors/Eden,_Richard/gallery/KHI-000628/

Meanwhile, Kerry Sherman, who now goes by her married name of Kerry English, is the mother of three grown children and is a licensed family therapist with a practice in Burbank, which is just about a mile away from the NBC Studios where SB taped and where her SB sister Missy Reeves still works - on DAYS. Honestly, this lady has not aged a bit. Look at her!

http://www.kerryenglish.com/about

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Richard Eden shared on his FB page yesterday that he happened to run into A Martinez just randomly at a movie theater; they were both there with their wives. It's the first time they've seen each other in person since Richard left SB, though they are connected on FB. Great story - I just wish they had gotten a picture!!