Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

Apparently, she was nominated for playing Heather on GH in the early '80s, but I think her other noms were for Gina. Never did care for her as Janet and don't like what I see as Heather (which, granted, isn't very much). But she seems born to play Gina.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

You're right - I looked it up and her first Emmy nomination was in 1983 for Heather on GH. Her other three nods were all for SB (1987, 1988 and 1989), and all four of them were in the Supporting Actress category.

In 1983, she lost the award to Louise Shaffer (RH). Also competing in that same category was Marcy Walker, who was still on her first go-round on AMC.

In 1987, the award went to Kathleen Noone from AMC.

In 1988, the Emmy went home with another AMC star, Ellen Wheeler.

In 1989, two actresses tied for the honor - yet another AMC actress (Debbi Morgan) and RM's own co-star, Nancy Lee Grahn.

Ironically, when RM finally joined AMC, she never got an Emmy nomination. 1989 was her final nomination to date.

• Members

Wow. I had no idea Jane Sibbett didn't get along with Richard Eden. Of course, I don't know why they killed off Amy in the first place, because Brick's story seemed to vanish just after the "Brick is Channing" reveal.

I loved both Linda and Robin as Gina, but MEB's decision to fire Linda for "unprofessional behavior" sounded like pure BS. You want to kill the actress, for God's sake?

• Members

I'd never heard that either. It makes me uneasy to even comment on, because it's obvious that she felt very uncomfortable, to mention it years later.

I've been watching some of the 1986 episodes that Santa Barbara NBC put up. They're very out of order, but I get the gist. Hayley and Jake were so sweet and pure. I'm still not sure why the show broke that up. Courtney was also in some of that and I liked her too. The show had such a wealth of young actresses that they could have done so much with.

As good as the dialogue is and some of the character work is, the time on the show when Cruz, Eden, and Mary are all in loveless marriages (Eden and Mary essentially having the same story, as they're married to psychos) is exhausting, and a little drab. I wonder if this is why the show cut Mary, essentially punishing their own story, not her.

• Members

Kerry Sherman left SB in 1986 because she was pregnant with her second child, and wanted to be a full-time mother. I don't know if they had ever reconsidering recasting the role, but I'm glad they didn't. She was such a quirky and down-to-earth heroine, and I'm not sure if anyone else could have captured that as well as KS did. Here's the article where she stated her reason for leaving the show:

http://santabarbara-online.com/articleKSherman2.htm

Now that her kids are grown, Kerry Sherman, using her married name of Kerry English, is now a licensed family therapist in Burbank, just a hop, skip and a jump from the NBC Studios where SB taped (and where her on-screen sister, Melissa Reeves, still works on DAYS). Here's her profile:

http://www.kerryenglish.com/about

I have no idea why Brick was wasted as a character, because with his family history, he was a character the show could have gotten years of mileage out of. But that's another rant for another day!!

• Members

For all the love i feel for Santa Barbara i cant remember Amy Perkins at all. And its weird becuz I started watching when Nick Hartley and Kelly hooked up. I think they were on the run or something. (I was 9 thats my excuse lol)

I actually like jane sibett and enjoyed her stint on the show. She was nice to her mentallly ill half sister played by mary-alisse recasner. Did they try to pair Brick with Jane? That could have been interesting.

I love Caroline too and didnt know about Lenore karsdorf's background so she was new to me. Loved her with Lionel.

Never understood why they got rid of that group of character becuz i found them interesting and they added layers to the show who was pretty cruz & eden heavy.

I always despised cruz and eden, always ended up rooting for anyone trying to break them up. Except victoria lane. There was no way i could root for her.

• Members

No, Amy (and Brick) really didn't have much to do in the spring/summer of 1986. At that time, the major stories were Mason/Mary/Mark, Kelly's pushing Dylan out the window, escaping the mental ward and going on the run (thus giving Robin Wright the time off to make The Princess Bride), Cruz and Santana marrying, and Eden's near-death experiences at Aqualand (by Kirk) and getting hit by a car (with Santana behind the wheel and Keith as the passenger).

According to this site, David Haskell's debut as Nick Hartley was April 30, 1985. Page Moseley as Dylan premiered later that year, in October.

http://santabarbara-online.com/Calendar1985.htm

Edited by amybrickwallace