Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

• Members

I think they just found his corpse.

Yeah, that hot tub scene was kind of racy for its day. Nowadays, that's tame!!

My favorite prop was the dartboard at Cruz's house. We actually saw him use it once (while he was waiting by the phone waiting to hear from Pearl, who was trying to find Eden while she was married to Kirk the Jerk Cranston)!!

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Did the story about Cruz's brother losing their mother's house happen oncamera?

I love that beep-beep-beep-beep music cue they use in scenes like the Gina/Keith scene early in this. It's so of that era, and so Bubble Bobble, but is soothing.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Hmmm...that I don't know. Wendy probably would.

SB really did have a crackerjack music department. I have always LOVED Peabo Bryson's "If Ever You're in My Arms Again", which of course was Joe and Kelly's love theme. Fun fact - according to Billboard's book of #1 Adult Contemporary Hits, that was the #1 song on the AC chart the same week SB premiered. Quite timely!!

Of the original songs written for SB, "Shelter From the Storm" was amongst my favorites, first used in the 1987 Utah storyline. It was used again in 1988 following the rape, and I love how they used it for Cruz and Eden for its symbolism. Very touching.

• Members

"Nothing Can Take Me Away From You", another song written for Eden and Cruz, sung by Cathy Hudrall. It was used again in 1989 when they got the paternity results after Adriana's birth and learned that she was indeed Cruz's daughter, and in 1990 when the couple visit Pebble Creek, which had been the site of their wedding. Pretty song, and I've always liked that one, too.

• Members

Those are great. Thanks so much. Upthread, I mentioned that Mark Arnold had only signed a three-month contract because plans were in the works to make another Teen Wolf movie with Michael J. Fox, and in the first one Mark Arnold had played the antagonist and wanted to reprise the role. Ultimately, the movie never got made - I think because MJF landed Back to the Future. When the Teen Wolf "sequel" was finally made a couple of years later, it was with an entirely new cast (with Jason Bateman in the lead).

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

I don't know, but he has done a lot of indies.

I think it's a shame that the show didn't showcase A Martinez's gorgeous singing voice. Oh, he did belt out the first line of "Your Song" to annoy Eden when she was on the phone once, and another time, the two sang "Bennie and the Jets" driving in the car (both Elton John songs, hmmm), but that was about it.

Here is A in a 1996 episode of Touched by an Angel, in the title role, "Rock & Roll Dad":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuETd0uU438

• Members

Comments on the full episode:

Mei-Ling is a huge, vile bitch. The actress is good at bitchy but it makes me want her to fall through a trap door. This is such a weird story. Can you imagine how NBC Daytime viewers felt in summer 1988 with AW and SB doing back-to-back stories about unstable Vietnam War personalities?

Warren Burton is playing...every Warren Burton character ever.

Is this the happiest Eden and Cruz ever were?

Andrea seems a little wet, but it might just be the story.

I know Cain was mentally ill when he held Eden captive but their interaction is still a tough adjustment for me.

The whole Sarah story is somewhat filler...Sarah is scared and breaks a glass and leaves and finds Julia and then Julia leaves her but OK everything is fine (was Sarah being watched early in the episode or was that just a camera angel?). I wanted to scream for her to lock the door. Those loneliness scenes with Sarah and Julia were powerful, as was Julia breaking down in Michael's arms. Good work from NLG.

I haven't seen as much of Brandon as I have in these last few episodes. He loves Gina so much. Hearing them say they'll always be there for each other makes me sad, as didn't some of you say that after she has a baby she loses all interest in him?