January 21-25, 2008

Toups

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I'm just pushing my Jim Reilly agenda. ;) When Reilly wasn't tied down by Corday, Reilly took DAYS from a 2.8 to a 3.9 in HHs, and 2.2 to 3.2 in 18-49 demos in just 5.5 months.

And DAYS is a different beast than PSNS. Reilly and DAYS - I always think of 6.9 and 3.9. :)

Let Reilly run wild and you'll see the buzz, discussion, and ratings go up. :)

• Members

I think DAYS is stuck in that 2.1-2.2 range, after it stabilized from the time slot changes in the fall and from the massive loss of viewers in all of 2007. I don't think they'll ever get as high as a 2.5 again. JER? Please, what he comes in and gets the ratings up for a month or so and then they collapse again?

• Members

And when Hogan's hands are not tied by the very same person, the ratings have went up as well.

Strange how bringing back a guy who many have said ruined the show will help it by putting on some stupid story like Kayla really being a man and having sex with Shawn Sr., thereby getting her/him pregnant.

Yeah......Jim Reilly is surely what the people want to see.

• Members

You saw what happened when SSK ended...

The days of soaps getting unusually high spikes within one week are over, JER isn't going to be able to help DAYS at this point, especially after the show's lost so much of its core audience and is on a network that doesn't support it and the soap opera genre in general.

Buzz can only last so long before things start to stabilize and they're back where they started....

• Administrator

Yeah, Ken Corday panicked as usual and rushed things and didn't let Reilly write his story.

DAYS needed the ratings for renewal time. We have about like 4-6 weeks left and things aren't looking good. Corday should've brought Reilly back in the summer.

Corday should've gone to Reilly and said, "Jim, I know we've had a rocky relationship, but I'm desperate here. I need the ratings to be way up so NBC can renew us for another 3 [or 5] years. I want to bring you back for one year and give you FULL CREATIVE CONTROL. I won't interfere with you. Do whatever you want. After one year, we'll see what happens. Right now, just get the ratings up in time for renewal. I need your help. Please help me."

• Members

Unfortunately Days was pre-empted on MLK day by a New York Knicks game here in the NYC area. That's the largest market in the country, and I'm sure that had some sort of impact on Days not getting the usual MLK bump. I wonder if Days suffered the same fate in other markets. Here they put it on some random WNBC-affiliated cable station that was in the 140-150 channel range. The only notice they posted about the change was a crawl during the previous Friday's episode. Anyone who didn't see the crawl probably tuned in and figured it wasn't on. It's clear that WNBC can't wait to dump Days, and I think other affiliates feel the same way.

On a side note, are numbers ever released on the ratings that the primetime replays get on SoapNet?

• Members

If Reilly were such a creative genius, he wouldn't need the already built-in fan bases and 40+ year history to get a show to a 3.9 rating (or a 6.9 rating, if we're fondly remembering the 90's heyday). He had 8 years to prove he's a genius at Passions. And he failed. Case closed. Buh-bye! :P

• Members

Gotta love Toupsy's blind devoting to JER. :lol:;)

I can't see JER coming back to DAYS anyway. Would he return to a show where the EP hates him and where he was previously fired from before his contract ended? Somehow I doubt Corday would swallow his pride to ask him back and I'd doubt JER would accept if offered. Then again, JER might be looking for a job in a few months, with Passions gone and it won't likely be picked up by another network again.

• Administrator

8 years is pretty damn good for a soap that premiered in the late 90's. It lasted longer than the previous 4 new soaps (GEN, The City, SuBe, PC).

Blind devotion? No way, man. I know Jim Reilly through and through and I can clearly see the good and the bad in him. You know I can take on the JER hate like no other. Bring it on. It'll just give me a chance to praise him which I love to do. :lol:;)

• Members

... And the final episode would feature Shawn-Douglas in drag seducing Bo Brady while shilling astroglide lube. Meanwhile, Stefano and Dr. Rolf will be in a secret lab severing Hope and Sami's heads and sewing them on to each other's bodies for some crazy zany reason involving expensive art collections and exotic tropical plants that can cure mysterious diseases.

Finally, our dear Alice Horton looks lovingly at a photo of Dr. Tom Horton... and then turns to a not-so-dead Ford Decker, who's trapped in a cage suspended in air, dressed in a full-body leather suit. Alice zips down her long flowing nightgown and reveals a 25-year-old body wearing a dominatrix outfit! Stefano had switched Alice and Chelsea's bodies for some strange reason involving prisms and prunes.

The last scene reveals Roman is actually a robot called RoTox. Interestingly enough, the make-up artists have to do very little to make Josh Taylor look like a botoxed robot.

Archived