Talking Supercouples

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^Very ironic, but Gloria Monty in general can be partly blamed for speeding up the collapse of the daytime drama, as much as she made it a popular thing with GH in the 80's.

One of the things I liked about classic Y&R was the fact that Bill Bell hated "supercouples." If you've noticed, Y&R was never huge on the supercouple explosion, they focued more in individual characters. They had popular couples yes, but not to the campy and over-saturated effect shows like DAYS and GH have.

• Members

I agree. Victor and Nikki I'd hardly call a super couple going by the typical standards that signified a super couple in the 80's.

A broader view on what happened with the super couples. Shows got backed into corners when these "super couples" developed such HUGE fanbases. These fans were simply just watching for these couples and the adventures they'd go on. So as a result, shows would feel the need to cater to these couples at the expense of the rest of the show.... and this continues until this day.... Which as a result as seen fans of the overall shows tune out in droves for the past 15 years. I mean I've always had the couples I've rooted for and liked.... but never at one particiular time have I really ever only watched a show for a few characters or one couple. That concept just doesn't resonate with me. It goes the same for any television show. I have to like the show, its premise and the way the canvas is weaved....

• Members

I think the supercouple, is a thing of the past. The last current couple(and I mind you I love Zach & Kendall and Patrick & Robin), I consider a supercouple is Passions's Luis and Sheridan. Dancing around their feelings, presumed deaths, amnesia, crazy ex, deranged father,romances/marriages to other people, kidnapping-I see all that the makings of a supercouple.

JMO

• Members

To me they're not alot of supercouples on the shows any more/ They're a few out there, but not alot. I would say that couples I would've considered (and do consider) supercouples would be:

Tad and Dixie

Cliff and Nina

Cass and Kathleen

Cass and Frankie

Roman and Marlena

Bo and Hope

Jack and Jennifer

Tom and Margo

Josh and Reva

Nikki and Victor

Ridge and Brooke

Eric and Stephanie

Cord and Tina

Todd and Blair

Erica and Jackson

To me a supercouple has to have the "IT" factor. They have to have that natural chemistry that you can just see pop off the screen when ever they are in scenes with one another (example Nick and Phyllis on Y&R). I think today, so many of the shows are putting couples together who have forced chemistry, throwing them against the wall (like spaghetti) and seeing which ones will stick and be loved by the fans......case in point All My Children's "Rylee." JMO

• Members

maybe early Luis/Sheridan had potential but the way they've been written the past 2 years has suggested that they are not a supercouple. The show has been pushing him and Fancy as the true love with Sheridan an evil, hateful bitch obsessed with Luis and out to ruin them. She's a villian with little to no redeeming qualities and that couple has no rooting value as she's turned into someone just like Beth and Alistiar, the 2 people who caused her the most pain over the years

• Members

I'm not a PASSIONS fan, and even I didn't understand how the Luis/Sheridan/Fancy triangle turned out. If Galen Gering and Emily Harper have chemistry - and I don't watch, so I don't know if they do or not - and JER wanted to push that to the forefront, that's one thing. But IMO, Sheridan's personality change, while encoded in her DNA, was off-putting and not the least bit gradual.

Archived