Shock Comings & Goings ...Looking back

• Members

I was shocked when EON killed off Jefferson Brown (faux Sky Whitney). Loved Larkin Malloy, he and Sharon Gabet were very popular and I never expected them to do that. Course, didn't know at the time that the *real* Sky Whitney would arrive on the scene and Larkin would be back. :D

AW killing off and firing Frankie (Alice Barrett), Gabe (John Bolger) and Michael (Kale Browne). AW firing Charles Keating and then bringing him back shortly before the show's demise. They really did make a bunch of lame decisions those last few years.

Some things you sort of know that they're coming or you see the writing on the wall but you still can't believe it. For me that would include the firing of Stuart Damon and the death of Alan Quartermaine on GH, and the death of Asa Buchanan on OLTL.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I remember back in '92, before the internet, being in the check out line and seeing Soap Opera Weekly with the headline "AMC's Kate Collins OUT--replacement named!" and about freaked out! She's my all time fave soap actress, and I had NO idea she was leaving, since she was one of AMC's 'big guns'.

At least she's back now, sometimes.

• Members

Cady Mclain leaving AMC in 2002, she posted a letter on her website saying that she is taking a Break from daytime and less than a month, she joins ATWT.

Also, Peter Bergman being fired from AMC (I still can't believe how that went down) and joining Y&R as Jack Abbot #2.

Stuart Damon being fired from GH and his character being Killed off (So cruel and un-necessary)

Cady McClain being gired from AMC in 2006 and from ATWT in 2007.

Sabine S being fired from AMC so they can bring back Rebecca Budig

Hunt Block being fired from ATWT as Craig in 2005

Scott Bryce being fired as Craig a couple weeks ago

Victoria leaving Y&R in 2007 was a Huge shock (Due to her issues with the Crew)

Sarah Brown leaving GH in 2001

• Members

The Salem killings(Maggie,Alice etc)did set the boards on fire.

Hogan coming to Days and JER's return.

Marlena's original death by The Salem Strangler.

Way back in the early 60's the death of Jeff on As The World Turns.Penny and Jeff had been through a lot to be together and his demise was a shock to viewers.The show was bombarded with letters and phone calls.

Similarly,when Teal Ames left Edge of Night ,her character of Sara was killed off.Fan uproar was such that she appeared as herself at the end of the episode to explain that she wanted to try her luck in LA.

• Members

Don't forget Michael Zaslow's raw deal at GL, and the way OLTL welcomed him back with a touching final story before his death.

Other shocking casting for me involves popular returning actors who play completely different parts. Sarah Brown on GH, Josh Taylor and Wayne Northrup on DAYS among others. Joan Collins may have been a score for GL, but hardly bigger than Elizabeth Taylor on GH.

Archived