Shock Comings & Goings ...Looking back

• Members

In light of the recent Days sackings .AMC returns and the overwhelming reactions,let's recall some other surprising dismissals,departures and arrivals.

Imagine the reaction if the net were around in 75 when Jacquie Courtney,George Reinholt and Virginia Dwyer were fired from Another World.

Some others:

Debbi Morgan leaving AMC for Generations.

Peter Bergman leaving AMC for Y&R

Peter Reckell returning to Days and them dumping Robert Kelker Kelly

Beverlee McKinsey coming to GL as Alex

Who do you recall that had /would have had the boards on fire??

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think some of the most shocking comings and goings were with writers. For example, AMC rehiring McTavish, OLTL rehiring Malone, and GH rehiring Guza all within the span of one year. Also, ATWT firing Hogan, DAYS firing Langan, DAYS rehiring JER, and DAYS hiring Hogan were all shocking.

It was also shocking to learn that She Who Must Not Be Named was ghostwriting all nine soap operas at once.

• Members

^ That, IMO, was more unexpected than her coming aboard in the first place. To this day, I'll bet, P&G is still trying to figure out how she did it, lol.

From what I understand, that was a big deal even back then. In today's environment, though, just about every soap-related message board out there would crash immediately upon receiving the news.

It probably wasn't all that shocking to many, but I was taken aback by the news of AW's cancellation. I was so sure it would get a reprieve, esp. since it had been on the air for 35 years, and was actually making a turnaround.

• Members

Bev Mckinsey fleeing GL was absolutely fantastic...a classic soap moment.

I found Brenda Dickson's firing shocking, if not a little unexpected due to her diva antics. One day it was Brenda Dickson and then the next day, in June of 1987, the announcer bellowed "The role of Jill Abbott will now be played by Jess Walton" and she has, 21 years later.

• Members

I still remember, before SOW became the overall rag it now is, when Matthew Ashford, Crystal Chappell, and Michael Sabatino were all fired from Days in 1993. Back then, SOW did not kowtow to the networks and published two full pages worth of angry letters from viewers. So, I'd say those exits were shocking.

Melissa Reeves' abrupt departure two years later - amidst the news of her affair with Jason Brooks - was also shocking.

Terry Lester leaving the #1 rated Y&R in 1989 [after blasting Bill Bell's obsession with his daughter's character, Cricket [née Christine]], to go to Santa Barbara as Mason Capwell #2 was something. (As was Peter Bergman being fired almost around the same time after ten years with AMC as nice guy Dr. Cliff Warner, and then almost immediately replacing Terry Lester as scoundrel Jack Abbott!)

Marcy Walker leaving Santa Barbara to go to primetime after seven years on SB caused a bit of a wave - and, arguably, was one of the last nails in SB's coffin.

Finally, Michael Nader being fired from AMC after his drug issues made the press also caused a stir. And he was never heard from again.

• Members

Susan Seaforth Hayes and Bill Hayes departing Days in 84 was big news back then.They were the king and queen of soaps in the 70's.

Taylor Miller going to Another World as Sally Frame(a big mistake for all concerned)

The killing off of Dan Stewart on ATWT.Dan had been born on the show and was a leading man for years.

Search for Tomorrow being ditched by CBS for Capitol after 30 years.

• Members

One that I remember that I am sure would send shockwaves would be the departure of Ellen Parker who played Maureen Bauer on GL. I can still remember when Mo died on that show and balling my eyes out like a baby. I was in high school at the time and part of our yearbook staff. It just happened that our yearbook teacher was a HUGE fan of daytime and she would let us watch the soaps as we were working on year book layouts, etc. I can remember the whole room falling silent when it was revealed Maureeen died.

Another shock would've been when Ellen Dolan left the role of Margo on ATWT and the show replaced her with Glynnis O'Connor ( a poor choice if you ask me).

Archived