Prom Night

JackPeyton

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

YAWN another remake of a slasher classic but for the PG 13 crowd. Not that the original is brilliant (it's the worse of Jamie Lee Curtis' slasher movies--behind the pretty good Terror Train though i love the Canadian locations) but it has cheesy disco classiness to it. However I thought these slasher remakes were bombing--and that style of horror film was doing badly again? Besides of course Halloween (which made me mad being a big fan of the original) look at Black Christmas (which luckily didn't even make enough of an impression to tarnish the brilliant original), Stranger in the House, etc Although liek those it seems to be a remake in name and slasher premise only

• Members

^They dont do great, but they do well enough to keep making them. The Ammityville Horror, Texas Chainsaw Massacure, Halloween, and others have done well.

I loved Black Christmas, but to be fair on that one not doing well, it didnt get a good market push, came out on x-mas day against major comp, and the original wasnt near famous. But i love that one because of how bad it is, lol.

Prom Night, to me, looks good. is gonna be the next great american horror film? no. Is it gonna be full of the LOLZ and great for how bad it is? yes. plus Meg Pryor (err.. brittany snow) is in it. so yay! lol.

• Members

It just seems liek that cycle of teen slashers left in the early '00s--I'm sure it'll come abck and I have a soft spot for lashers but... Anyway this one looks bad to me :(

The original Black Christmas is, I kid you not one of my top 5 horror movies of all time. Halloween wouldn't have existed without it. The "remake" didn't even have coherence IMHO--I couldn't follow it

E

• Members

This really kind of makes me wonder. So the remakes suck but what about new and original slasher films. Something like Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer. I actually wrote one that I believe is really good because it has all of the same elements of horror from the 80's but the difference are in the death scenes. Plus the plot is more complex.

Check out a poster that was made for a demo that was partly filmed in 2007.

TTBU.jpg

• Members

This really kind of makes me wonder. So the remakes suck but what about new and original slasher films. Something like Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer. I actually wrote one that I believe is really good because it has all of the same elements of horror from the 80's but the difference are in the death scenes. Plus the plot is more complex.

Check out a poster that was made for a demo that was partly filmed in 2007.

TTBU.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Members

The original Prom Night is a classic. It was also sad too and made me tear up. From the trialer of the remake..i think this version will stand on its own. I hope it does.

They are remaking Terror Train? Wow. What is wrong with hollywood? Remake remakes remakes. Cant they think of original movies to do anymore?

• Members

I'm so sick of these PG-13 unscary remakes!

Black Christmas was so unbelievably bad. It was not scary, not clever, and the plot was a total mess. The shame is you can tell they actually did have a respect for the original and did try to pay homage to it. Andrea Martin plays the house mother. And they tried to explain the long asked fan question - who was Agnes, who was Billy, what did he do to the baby, and why'd he murder the sorority sisters. But they did it so badly! And arguably, its the not knowing that added to the original's scare factor. Epic Fail!

When a Stranger Calls was just boring. They set a good atmosphere and creepy mood, then failed to follow through with any decent scares, and the characters had no rooting value. You're not supposed to want your heroine to be slaughtered....

But this Prom Night just looks stupid. A cast full of annoying high schoolers there just to be slaughtered, a lame plot about a stalker teacher escaped from the nut house (yawn, again???), and the tired "we're trapped inside" plot device to keep the action going. When really, you're in a glam hotel, picture windows are part of the decore -- pick up a chair and smash your way to freedom. <_< The orignal of course is terrible, and if it wern't for Jamie Lee Curtis and its references in Scream it would have been totally forgotten. But atleast that tried to do something different with its killer and the motive for the killings.

Archived