Felicia Minei Behr first listed as Executive Producer

Lorraine Broderick first listed as Co-Head Writer

Jeff Beldner/Michelle Patrick listed as Co-Head Writers

This is my dream for AMC in 2008. :P

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree Toups, but that was because JER was doing something never before done in daytime. The stories he wrote were perfect for the 90s, and as DAYS adapted its ratings went way up. When you think about it, soaps also adapted to the 70s (more independent, career-driven female characters), the 80s (larger-than-life hair and clothes, more romance). Is the current ratings problem because nobody innovates anymore? What is the style of this decade? We don't know because no soap has defined it. Instead of someone braking with tradition like JER did, everyone relies on quick fixes.

We need another JER (which is why I love the Vincent/Valerie storyline on PSNS, because it's definitely something that has never been done before, and as crazy as it is, it's brutally honest at the same time.)

• Members

Honestly, at this point, I think it's beyond hiring successful writers. For those of you who don't know, Robbie Baitz was recently forced out of the show he created, Brothers & Sisters. Why? Here's at least one reason, from his blog on The Huffington Post: "I can... only watch as the demographic demands that have turned America into an ageist and youth-obsessed nation drives the storylines younger and younger, whiter and whiter, and with less and less reflection of the real America. I will never again have to do a notes call wherein the fear and seasickness of the creative execs always prevail over taking a risk, resulting more often than not in muddy and flattening or treacly sweet compromises."

It's not about writing or creating anymore. It's about writers appeasing the executives with what the executives think viewers (and advertisers) want to see on television. Or, even worse, simply implementing the executives' vision, with no personal stamp. You wonder why daytime is so bad? If someone like Robbie Baitz, who also has a two-pilot deal with ABC, can't get his personal vision produced, how much luck do you think a daytime headwriter is going to have?

You can read more at the TV Guide news blurb here.

You can read his two part blog post on the subject here: Part One, Part Two

• Administrator

Finally the boards back up. LOL

Y&R:

- Anthony Morina last listed as Producer on January 3

- Anthony Morina first listed as Supervising Producer on January 4

- Paula Cwikly back as Writer on January 4

- Sally McDonald first listed as Producer on January 4

Paula was the Fi-Core I was talking about a couple weeks ago. :)

• Members

I guess I'll post here what I posted on the back-up board, even though I aleady got a reply from Toupsy. ;)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! Sally so deserves this promotion!!!! I've been saying it for weeks now, it looks like they've listened to me. LOL!

It's tragic that Morina gets bumped up to Supervising Producer though, but hey you can't have it all. But really, what does a supervising producer do other than supervise the other producers on the show?

I'm surprised they didn't bring in an outsider to become the new producer, instead they promoted someone who has been there for years. Feels like the old Y&R way again......

Was it Sony, Bell, or Griffith's move to promote Sally? I can't imagine Latham doing it....

Also, it looks like Latham probably won't be back after the strike, I can't imagine her too happy with the behind the scenes changes at the show and the much better way Y&R is written these days.

Could a new Executive Producer be on the way?

Also, could it be possible that Latham's already fired and they're waiting until after the strike to announce it? Force majeure time is already here....

• Administrator

And I too will copy/paste what I said. LOL

You so called this....I guess you got your wish. LOL

That's a good question.

Maybe Morina is doing more of Josh's job (now that Josh is HW the show) and then Sally will be doing what Morina did.

Yup, promoting from within was always the Y&R way. I'm happy for Sally. She's the last high ranking person from the Bill Bell era.

Once Griffith went Fi-Core I knew that Latham would be gone. And then SOW and Michael Logan also reported on it which made it pretty clear that Latham won't be back. :)

BTW.....nice avatar!! Congrats, Sally!!!

• Members

Question, is that female writing with Josh related to the Bell family? I think her name is Maria or something?

I tuned into Y&R yesterday and watch without judgment for the first time since May and......I loved it.

Archived