2008: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Oh come on, you can't blame JER for giving Hogan a "lower starting point"!! Hogan's first 3 months was really good.

Hogan's been good for about %50 of his tenure. His first 3 months and his last couple of months.

As much as I think Hogan won't be back, I was very curious to see how he and Dena would work together. But I personally don't want Hogan fired because I think with the right Co-HW *cough*JER*cough*, DAYS could be very good. You know it's my dream team. :D

I broke the news of Dena's hiring a couple of days before the strike happened, so I'm going to guess she was working with Hogan for maybe about a week or just a little bit more.

• Members

All I meant was that NBC seems to want out of the soap business so why would they care? They want Days gone and the lower the better. I don't believe what Corday said about them showing interest.

As for Ed, if he was given the amount of power it seemed he was since Sony brought him in, then he could stop something or do something to overrule Corday. He could go to Sony. That is all I am saying.

I think letting Hogan go would be a huge mistake, especially if Higley is waiting in the wings.

• Administrator

I think a lot of Hogan's staff will be gone.

The only one who might have a chance of staying is Tom Casiello because he worked with Dena at OLTL. But he did leave OLTL, so it depends if they had a good relationship or not.

Renee Godelia, Cydney Kelley, and Jodie Scholz all worked with Dena at DAYS, so they have a good chance of staying.

I'm sure Victor G, and Mark Christpher Higley will be back.

The writer who I hope Dena brings back is Sofia Landon Geier, Jeanne Marie Ford (if things don't work out at OLTL), and Peter Brash (if things don't work out at ATWT).

• Members

I just remember an article stating back in August that Sony pushed for Ed and that seemed to indicate to me that he was going to have alot of power. I also remember Corday seeming like he didn't want to let go of Wyman.

If most of Hogan's staff goes, that would suck but I would like to see people like Brash and SLG back on Days.

• Members

I really do wonder how much control/power Sony has on Days...

I mean we always hear of Steve Kent (who is in charge of overseeing Sony's stake in Days and Y&R) on the Y&R set and he's always there for major events. He's almost an uncredited producer on that show.

I've only heard of one instance where Steve was talked about being on the Days set, my guess is Sony doesn't have much authority at Days as they do at Y&R.

• Members

Now I wouldn't mind a balance of some of Hogan's people and maybe some Days people since Days needs more writers that know the show. That has been a weakness IMO.

I have always wondered too about Sony but it was said they were very angry about the NBC announcement last year and that they really wanted the show to survive past 2009 and that is why Ed was brought in. I think they may not be as hands on or present in person at Days but I think they have big influence.

• Members

Now, I'm really not familar with the corporate climate that govern Days, but take as you will.

Corday has ultimate authority at Days, but he doesn't do the day-to-day "grunt" work that a traditional EP is responsible for. That's what Ed Scott does.

Why did Corday hire Ed Scott and fire Steve Wyman? Well, it strikes me that every so often, Corday has a "lightbulb" moment and decides to make a drastic change to "save the show." Remember when he fired his good pal Tom Langan?

• Administrator

Oh for sure. If Hogan comes back, some of his staff will probably stay. Could you imagine if Hogan had to choose between his friends? What does Hogan do? The "last ones in, first ones out" rule? Pick the names out of hat? LOL

LOL Yeah, I think that's pretty much a given. :lol:

• Members

I agree and it's always been this way at Days, even Betty Corday had people like H. Wes Kenney and Al Rabin as Co-EP's. Though, on Y&R for example, people like John Conboy, H. Wes Kenney, Ed Scott, and David Shaughnessy were credited as sole EP and William J. Bell was given the Senior EP title...

I agree, Corday probably saw Days at last place or approaching last place in the ratings and freaked. It just so happened Scott was leaving Y&R or fired, and Sony might have recommended him to Corday, who thought it was a good idea to hire someone associated with the #1 soap...

Archived